My Poor Curtis Needs Surgery

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

janey

Post by janey »

LucyG~
Curtis is lucky to have such a good Mom! I know he must be happy to be home, and that will have a good effect on his recovery and healing.

Just take it a day at a time...last week you had this all ahead of you. Now, surgery is over, and although there have been some complications, it sounds like it's normal kind of stuff and Curtis will be fine. We'll just hope that "will be" soon turns into "is"!!

Take care~ We'll :beer: for real when the doc gives
the A-OK!
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

Aw, poor Curtis. :( I'm sorry this has been such an ordeal for both of you. I'm glad you got to bring him home. I'm sure that being home (with you, Jay and Ginger) will speed his recovery. Hugs to all of you.
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Boy, he is something else.....He has not quit drinking....I can't leave water in the kennel....He just doesn't quit drinking....I let him for a min or two, then pick it up, but his head is like right in it......The vets have the same city water as we do. Poor little guy.....But they said the important thing is to get him to drink.....well, so far I can't get him to stop tonight.....:lol:.....At least that's going right! He just looks so bad, though. Oh, did I say that he has been on pain meds this whole time? Well, I was joking with the vet saying, *oh sure, will he be like going through withdrawls tomorrow?* We both laughed, but she said if he seems to be like in pain, to call her and she would see what I could give at home if need be....

Thanks for listening.....
jmboyer

Post by jmboyer »

My goodness, Lucy, this has really been a trying time for you, Jay, and sweet Curtis. I'm so glad you got your little boy such good vet care. My thoughts are with you all. I just know that Curtis will recuperate and thrive in the arms of your loving nurturing.
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Lucy, I'm so glad that curtis is home with u now. but I'm so sorry to hear about him having a rough time.

Is it normal for cats to drink so much after an operation? I don't remember Wilbur drinking a lot after his surgery.Maybe he didn't drink much while he was in the vet's? Poor baby, I hope he is feeling all better soon. *HUGS*

Debbie

PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

Lucy, I'm SO glad to hear that Curtis is home with you. You are such a good mom! :) And that he seems to be doing pretty well, all things considered. I think that now he's home, he will recuperate much faster! :P Keep us updated!
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
Lionitus

Post by Lionitus »

I'm so happy your Curtis is home. I'm sure now that he's home he'll start getting better. It's awful hard on them to be in unfamiliar surroundings.

I'm sending best wishes for his quick recovery.

((((((((LucyGoose and Curtis)))))))

Lionitus
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

:cool: Curtis is home and that is the best news we have had in days. I'm betting everyone is glad he is home and we can get a good night's rest now? Thank you for keeping us all informed. Get some rest now. :cool:
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

My goodness, LG! What a time you've had this last week or so. Poor Curtis! What an ordeal to go through. I hope he will have a full recovery now and not have to suffer with stones again. It's terrible when our furkids are ill. We feel so helpless. ((((LG and Curtis)))))
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Hi everyone..... :(

Today hasn't been a good one, cause he has not ate all day....I worked outside today, but was in and out and didn't have to leave the house till like 3:30, so I had most of the day here.....he has drank, not like last night, but he drinks normal......cats aren't great big drinkers anyway, but DH said he drank once tonight too, so that's good, but I can't get him to eat.....I thought he would start eating good since he did so the night I brought him home.....I am so worried now.... :( ....I have to be back to work in the morning early, but get off at 3:30, so I will be calling the vet on my break again, expecially if he won't eat in the morning and take it from there.....I hope he eats in the morning....When I think about it, he went in on a thursday, ate good for me on saturday, they said he wasn't eating hardly anything the next two days, I guess you would say, then he ate monday......I don't know....just seems like that's not enough.....And it's the way he is acting....He pee's but then lays there with his leg up like he is waiting to finnish or something.....

Here is a cute picture of Ginger laying next to her buddy....His head isn't laying on the litter box, it's on is little box I put in there so maybe he wouldn't lay in the litter so much.....it works half the time...Hope I'm not boring you with all this.....Please wish me luck tomorrow when I call them AGAIN!
Attachments
s 280.jpg
patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

:( Poor guy! Poor Lucy! I sure hope Curtis gets back on his feet soon. Ginger sure is a good girl..you can tell she loves her buddy.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

He ATE the wet food today while I was out at work...:beer: It was a small amount but he ate it.....Also, DH said he saw him eat a tad of the dry food this morning when he was getting ready for work....I called today on break, and they said that she wasn't in yet, that they would pass my info.....Vet called me back this afternoon and we talked for a good half an hour....She told me to watch for dehydration, and told me what to do, then she said she is putting him on a very small dose of steriords......He will help with calming his insides down.....Any more changes, she wants me to call....He is peeing, but it still has a tad of blood in it. Thats okay.....

So, that's it now......glad he ate some......Now till next Wednesday when he gets his stitches out, I hope no more calling the vet....although she doesn't mind, and has been worrying about him, too....The big thing is we hope he doesn't form more. She was telling me about these two cats that are brother and sister that have had to have surgery for stones TWICE, that's 4 surgery's this one family has to have had! :eek: Wonder if they have that pet insurance....:lol:

Thanks for listening, again.....((Huggs))
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Oh Lucy, I am so glad Curtis ate a bit. I hope he will eat more tomorrow. He is so cute and I feel so very sorry for him. I'm glad u have a good vet that will call and talk to u and listen to your concerns. Please give curtis a gentle pat for me and Ginger a hug for me.
Take care
Debbie

wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Poor curtis! And that pup layign next to him is priceless! Animals are so precious!

{{hugs}} to you all as you go through this! Prayers he is up and eating and peeing at full strength soon! :)
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
jmboyer

Post by jmboyer »

Lucy, that is really a sweet photo. You can just see what a good buddy Ginger is to Curtis. It's good that Curtis is taking nourishment. I hope your sweet boy heals quickly.
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

I hope Curtis is over the rough spot now, LG. Just let him eat and drink little bits at a time and gradually he should increase his consumption. You know we humans don't always bounce back from surgeries too quickly either. Sometimes it takes weeks and weeks, but as long as you're seeing improvement then that's promising. Poor little guy. I hope he doesn't develope more stones. He and your family have been through enough. Keep us posted!! (and give Curtis and Ginger a pet and a scratch for me) ((((LG)))))
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

LUCY???????????? How's about an update on Curtis? Just thinking about him this afternoon :)
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Well, I am glad to say that the boy is eating great!! :D Likes his canned prescription food, and even likes/drinks the distilled water that some cats won't touch! We go back to the vet on Wednesday, so I will see what she thinks then.....I sure am getting tired of that kennel, but he seems fine in it still.....His eye looks really good, too....I can't tell if he is still peeing blood, though....Last time I saw blood was I think on thursday....But he is going pee, so that is good......It's the durn poo, that I don't see much of.... :o :lol: He is still on the meds, and that is usually easy to give to him....

So, thanks for asking Jane!! All's good so far!! :beer:
pauhaus
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by pauhaus »

Glad to hear ole Curtis is doing better Lucy. Keep us posted :P
Paul
My Hosta List

“With fronds like you, who needs anemones.”
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Cool! You know even humans have trouble with the poo'in part after anesthesia, so that's unusual, but something that will become more regular, but should mention to the vet next time :) So glad he's doing better, and his eyes are looking good, that's a good sign.

I can't imagine giving my one cat meds (ill or not! :(

On the other hand, the dogs love their meds. Little dietetic peanut butter on both ends of the spoon and they both get their meds at the same time! :)
New Topic Post Reply