Thistle! #$*(@#)#$&#$!!!!

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Thistle! #$*(@#)#$&#$!!!!

Post by wishiwere »

:x Just spent a freaking hour butching my twins! :eek:

Their hair I mean! THISTLE! :o WET AND so hard to get out! Some I could only cut out! Poor girls like a bad hair day and it won't be time for a trim for another month! UGH!

And they THOUGHT They'd be going back out tonight! Not on my watch they aren't! :lol:

Sorry, just had to vent!
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

:x I feel your pain! When my Scottie would get loose he'd almost always come home with cockleburrs stuck all over his muzzle and around his neck. What a pain in the butt!
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

The poor thing. SHe had about 10 on each foot, on her belly, butski, even her back. She hunts the bunnies into the thistle. She doesn't catch them anymore as she's 14, and nearly blind and deaf........but at 14, that dog can scout with the best of them! LOL

Just found one on her belly I either didn't see, or she picked up off her bed Ididn't know was there. And yes, those floppy ears (one actually) was covered in them!

She's sound asleep now, I think I traumatized her cutting her hair off with a scissors! Poor baby..........the other didn't end up with up with more than hand full, thank heavens! Betsy had at least 50 of them on her! She was a walking pincushion!
PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

:o I hear you! I've had to cut them out of my sheltie's fur more than once. :evil: *sigh* But I guess its better than skunk smell. :eek: :x
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

:o Oh my yes! We've never seen skunks around here, so hopefully won't! LOL

Although 2-3 summers ago this same twin corraled 3 baby (about 8 week old) raccoons up to the back door from the gardens out back. Not sure if she planned on bringing them, but we corraled them and had them relocated. It was broad daylight and no mom in site. They were precious, till I gave them baths! Looked like drowned rodents then! UGH

And no, these pics are not upside down. These things walked the ceiling of the cage with ease!
Attachments
raccoons 3.jpg
raccoons 2.jpg
raccoons 1.jpg
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

My dog ate one of them once and almost choked to death! I had to give it the hymlick maneuver sp. That was down right scary!!! I then called the emerg vet # and he told me to give him some butter to help it go down.
Debbie

wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Oh my! :o Thank heavens, other than a rabbit and that toad they went after, they've never eaten another animal (I know of anyway)! UCKY Can't imagine that! YUCK!
janet

Post by janet »

Um, Jane, I think maybe Debbie is talking about her dog eating burrs and choking, not raccoons. Somehow I don't think butter would do much to help a 'coon go down easier! (Now Lobster is a whole 'nother story!! :lol:)

We had a rescue horse once that had more thistles, burrs and sticks in his mane and tail than you can ever imagine. Poor thing. His tail was a solid mass of pricker stuff...took us weeks of work to get it all out.
jd in nh
janet's list
It is well to remember that the entire universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others. --John Andrew Holmes
patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I thought Debbie meant the dog choked on a raccoon too! HOO HOOO HOOOO! I'm wiping tears from my eyes!!
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Thanks Patsue, I was beginning to feel the fool! :lol: A fool always enjoys company, isn't that what they say!

Yuck, why would they eat thistle, silly animals! :)

The girls don't look as bad today after brushing them out, their hair is long enough to cover most of the mess made last night, TH!
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Sorry, yes I meant burrs :lol: My dog was only 10lbs so no raccoons for him and we don't have raccoons up here either. :lol:

Debbie

wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

NP Debbie, guess I was cruising through post a little fast and didn't stop to read carefully :) But that would hurt, poor baby. Bet he didn't do repeat performance on that one!
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Jane,
It scared us both, cause he couldn't breathe. I picked him up and ran home, luckily we were just around the block.

impatience

Post by impatience »

Try Pam cooking spray. The burrs will comb right out!!! :D
Gardening is the slowest of the performing arts.
New Topic Post Reply