Banks is leaving me....

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

janey

Banks is leaving me....

Post by janey »

The night before last Banks managed to escape as he tries to do every time he thinks there is a chance. He seldom succeeds as we are always on alert to his bolting. He was home a couple of hours later, waiting in the garage for me to open the back door. He came in and seemed fine. Yesterday he kept to himself, and I noticed he usually headed under a bed or a couch when he would appear for a few minutes. I really didn't think anything about it.

Last evening, he started acting strangely....meowing a lot, which he never does. Was very restless and wouldn't settle down. I thought he was antsy to get outside again. Late last night he started hissing and growling at me, which he never does, but it was midnight by then. I put a blanket over him and carried him to Bailey's pen. I thought he would fight me, but he never resisted. Once I put him in the pen, he just snuggled in and seemed happy to be there.

This morning, I knew something was terribly wrong. Banks was breathing but barely, and hardly moving. HIs eyes were vacant like he was blind. I knew he was dying, and have chosen to let him be warm and comfortable and stay here. I don't want to take him to the vets. I don't want to move him and hurt him, and he's home now and peaceful.

My brother just stopped in and he is a cat lover and said Banks was dying. I have to take my Mom to a Dr.'s appt. and I know Banks will be gone by the time I am back....I am heartbroken. How do things like this happen...so fast?

Bailey knows something is very wrong and has been quiet all day...this is a sad house....I wish I didn't have to leave right now....

Gracie comes home, and Banks leaves....guess this is the cirlce of life, but this part of the circle is sad. Gracie's coming home is a comfort.
mountainlily

Post by mountainlily »

Oh Janey - life doesn't seem fair sometimes. I hope Banks slipped peacefully away, and isn't that the best way to go? My heart goes out to you and your family. How wonderful to find some solace in Gracie's return.
((((Janey))))

Barbara
jmboyer

Post by jmboyer »

Janey, I can feel your sorrow at watching Banks slipping away. How courageous and caring you are to let him pass easily in the presence of those he loves. Foolishly, I had been shuttling my beloved, nearly eighteen-year-old cat, Ebony, back and forth to the vet, trying desperately to extend her life just a little longer. When meds got the hyperthyroidism under control, the liver started to go. When we stopped the meds to adjust the liver problem, the hyperthyroidism came back. And with every stressful visit to the vet, her blood pressure skyrocketed. I quit it all and have decided to let her pass with dignity. It hurts to watch her losing ground daily, but when her time comes, she will pass surrounded by love and comfort....as will your Banks. The fact that you take solace in Gracie's return is a clear indication of the genuinely kind heart and compassionate nature you have. My thoughts and many hugs are with you and Banks.
Snow

Post by Snow »

Oh no - I'm so sorry :( I would prefer to have my pets pass peacefully at home. Unfortunately for me, that's rarely been possible. I pray that for Banks it will be. God bless .....
~*Snow*~
patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

:cry: Oh Janey, I'm so sorry. What in the world could have happened? Do you suppose he got into poison? You're such a loving mom to let him go in peace at home where he's comfortable and happy. I feel so sad for you. ((HUG))
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

What a difficult time. I hope that Banks finds peace and you can find solace in knowing that he was loved every minute you shared and that he had a wonderful life with you.

I'm so sorry for your pain.

Alexa
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

I'm so sorry to hear about Banks, but I don't fully understand not taking him to the vets. Was he an old cat or did u think he was just passing too quickly to be safed? I feel so badly for u, it is very sad.
Debbie

wingnut

Post by wingnut »

Janey, Im so sorry for you and banks..God speed little man.
((((((Janey))))))
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

OMG, I hate to disagree with everyone, but I know me....I would have ran him to the vets.....Was he old? I thought of the poison thing too....Oh man, I am so sorry.....Maybe a heart attack or something......I am sooooo sorry.....Glad that Gracie's home coming helps you feel better....

((((((((Janey))))))))
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Janey, I'm so very sorry to hear about Banks. :(
Garden_of_Mu
USDA Zone: 7

Post by Garden_of_Mu »

I'm so sorry that Banks is passing. :( My heart goes out to you.
~ Mike

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don’t
matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Theodore Geisel, aka Dr.
Seuss
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

(((((Janey))))) I'm so sorry to hear about Banks. :( You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
janey

Post by janey »

Banks slipped away last night. He never moved from the moment I put him in the pen. When I did put him there, my intention was to get him to the vet the first thing yesterday morning. But by then, he was too far gone. I knew he was dying, and I just couldn't bear to move him and put him through the vet thing. I had to do that w/ Bailey when she was a pup, and it was awful. We did save Bailey, but she let me know right away she was a sick cookie. Bank's was different.

I think Banks was poisoned...intentionally or accidentially, I have no idea. But I suspect from what I went through w/ Bailey, that this was also poison. Not from this house this time at least...I had forgotten about some D-con in the basement when we first got Bailey--that is what she got into.

I'll never know. But I'll miss my buddy. Bailey won't even eat.

These animals sure have their ways of getting into our hearts. Banks will stay tucked in mine.

Thanks everyone.
PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

:( Oh, Janey, I'm so sorry to hear of Banks passing. How very sad for you. I hope that your memories of him will bring you some comfort and peace.
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
Annie
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Annie »

I'm really sorry to hear about Banks.
It's soooo hard to lose a pet.
Again I'm so sorry.
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
petal*pusher

Post by petal*pusher »

I'm sorry Janey....pets DO become important family members.....give your Bailey a good hug....this is hard for him too.

When I had to put my 20 yr. old cat to sleep a few years ago...the vet sent us a sympathy card....I always appreciated that kindness......p
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

I am so sorry, Janey.....((((Huggs))))
patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

:cry:
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Janey I'm so sorry. I understand now.*hugs*

wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

{{Oh Janey}} I am so sorry to read this. My heart and prayers to you :( So sorry this happened with Banks. I can only pray when its time for mine to go it will be so quickly. I can't imagine the pain and sorrow you are going through, but know we are here to listen and lend a shoulder if only in the cyber world, if you need. {{hugs}} to you and to Bailey also.
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
New Topic Post Reply