ATTENTION FURKID'S MOMS AND DADS!

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

Old earth dog

ATTENTION FURKID'S MOMS AND DADS!

Post by Old earth dog »

With the current happenings with Hallson's furkids (Gracie and Banks) PLEASE give some thought to micro-chips and/or tattoos. They are't the perfect answer, but it's now costomary practice for vets and shelters to look for these things. I have both on all three of my dogs even thought they are very low risk to run away. My terriers spent a lot of time in the hunt field with me. Now, my GSD, being an SAR dog, spends a lot of time in the woods, sometimes out of sight. At the very least, a collar and ID tag.
Snow

Post by Snow »

A pair of valuable Pekinese (sp) were recovered here after being kidnapped - due to implants.
~*Snow*~
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Ya mean someone actually wanted Pekes back. :oops: :oops: My bad! :oops: :oops:
I've seen many dogs/cats recovered because of micro-chips and tattoos. The traditional place for a tattoo is in the ear. Not a good idea. Unscrupulous labs have no problem buying a dog with only one ear. :evil: :evil: :evil:
My dogs are tattooed on the inner thigh. Also, the micro chip sometimes travels a bit. My JRT's chip has migrated down low on his shoulder. My understanding thiat is from getting it before his muscles developed. If you go the chip route, besure to have your vet check for it at your yearly visits.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

You ARE bad, Bro!

Yeah, that Papillon will have the Micro Chip from what they told me in their letters....I think my pets are too old for that now, but it is a good idea.....And I'll try to keep in mind that they move....

Thanks!! :D
janet

Post by janet »

Another word about tatoos... On fuzzy dogs like my sheltie, it's a good idea to keep the area trimmed so the number is visible. And I heartily agree not to have it done on the ear...way to easy to cut off! :o Meg was tatooed as a pup and the process didn't faze her in the least. Now, my sister got hers for her 50th birthday, but it's NOT on her inner thigh and doesn't need to be trimmed!! :lol: LG, I don't think there's an age limit on chipping, though I may be wrong.
jd in nh
janet's list
It is well to remember that the entire universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others. --John Andrew Holmes
PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

Good idea OED! Thanks for the reminder! :P
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
jmboyer

Post by jmboyer »

Great idea, OED. Thanks!
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

Good suggestion! I learned my lesson about keeping my dogs collars and tags on them at all times after they ran off and were gone for 5 days and nights! I have not considered the implants beacuse I have heard there are not that many vets/shelters that have the ability to scan the chips, (at least here in my area), but the tattoo idea is a good one!

Ginger
New Topic Post Reply