When the end is good !!!

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

thy
USDA Zone: 7

When the end is good !!!

Post by thy »

We have an 12 ½ year old Bicon Frise, the sweetest dog you can find on Earth.

Last week he ran after me all time, I got irritated, but so many things have happened in the last months and he is old, so.. cute silly old dog !!! Sunday he slept a lot and late in the evening I saw him swallow his food ( dog pills) instead of crunching them. Monday he went on the table and DD and I looked at his teath, worst thing we can do to him is fooling around with his mouth, but we could see a dark area at his big corner tooth, so we called the vet. Got some pain killers and a apointment Wednesday morning. First we both feelt the anger of the vet, why haven't you checked his mouth, then he tried, and he saw exacltly the same as we did, no way he could get that mouth open or the skin aside without hard force.
Then the bad thing started, he vas very exact telling us of the risk putting an old dog in anestesia... we both felt he gave us the : just give him an injection to sleep possibility, - but we could not do that, not if the vet could do some good things for him. We do not want him to suffer, but within reason to be with us for fun and love.
It was just before 9Am and we could pick him up at 12 or a little later...they would call us !
Home we went, talking, talking, talking, mostly about how much he have ment to us and specially Seline.
He have been her dog due to this story:
" Once I did a terrible mistake to my child", I was called from a nursing center, they had a 5 year old girl with cancer, and the hospitald would not let her mum nurse her at home at all, would I take her for her last months ??? I asked, and asked and did it again, but ended up with a Yes, I will take for the 3 or a little more month, I could not accept the thought of a child spending all her last time on a hostpital. At that time Seline was 3 and my thought was she could be a nursed summer guest, spending a lot of time at the hospital, but they could have some good hours together

How stupid can one person bee !!!!

She was a lovely but very abused kid, the hospital staff had so much pitty for her mum so went over all limits for her in their use of others.
The girl lived with us for 3 ½ years before she died, had a mostly good time and became a sister for Seline.
It took her less than a week to die, and we spoke to DD abouth death, but to late ( can you speak to a 3 to 6 year old about a sister dyeng what they are not to know??)

Seline was crushed after that time, .... we talked to her asked her out, but she just sat on the floor with the Tv on looking an other direction, got a good psychologist from the child center, but no way she would speak .

After more than a month I started thinking of my own childhood and who to tell every thing...alll the secrets, the good and the bad... oh ... my dog !!!!, so I went to get a book about small dogs and brought it home to DH and big son... a dog Yes, but a small one NO way
I told them the dog was not for them but for Seline and they agreed'
So the finding a dog started and after a lot of checks we got the Bison Frise a boy called Rasmus, or rather a very long and fine name :wink:

He have been in dolls clothes and baby ditto and hes hair have been done and colored and...... and

Best money I have ever used at all
He have really been her friend and a lovely dog "

At 1.30 I had to call the vet: Smiling voise told me he was just started to wakeup... what a release, and one hour later we picked him up

Vet had pulled out 6 teeths and taken the fat lump he had on his back. He look very funny but he wag his tail when he is awake.

So a day with lot of talk and tears ended up good.

Yes it was expencive, but sure he is worth it

Thanks for listening

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
impatience

Post by impatience »

Oh Pia!! What a story............I'm so glad your furbaby is back home and all is well. You are a good mom.
Gardening is the slowest of the performing arts.
patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

What a special dog he is for you and especially your daughter. I'm so glad everything turned out well. :D
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Oh Pia....I am so glad that he made it through the surgery.. :D ..I know they don't like to put old dogs under the anesthesia. Ginger's teeth need a cleaning again, too.....But so far so good with her...The vet just scrapes them for now...

What a lovely/sad story of the little girl......you wrote that so good! How precious! I remember the old poodle we had forever as a kid..in fact, I found her in the woods and we never did find her owners...That dog lived for (I want to say about) 20 years.....When she died, I was already gone and married.....but she was the dog I had the longest as a kid....Wow, hugs to Seline.....

Give your doggie (what is his name?) a pat/hug for me.....He will have good breath now, too....:lol:
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Pia, *HUGS* I'm so glad he will be ok.

Our little dog had bad teeth and we put him on canned food so he could eat.

I just bought a tooth brushing kit for hubs yellow lab. It is vanilla tasting toothpaste with a tooth brush and a brush u can put over your finger like a thimble. Tegan really liked the tooth paste and I still have my 10 fingers too. :lol:

Maybe u could find something like that in the pet department in your stores?

Debbie

wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Pia, what a sweet story! So glad he's fine now!

BTW. When the girls were smaller we used yogurt on a toothbrush for their teeth. Worked :)
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
doublemom2
USDA Zone: 8

Post by doublemom2 »

Pia - what a wonderful story, thanks for sharing it with us. And I'm so glad your dog is doing fine and is back home with family.

Andi
Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

What a touching story, Pia! I'm so glad your furkid is okay and back with his family. Hugs all around!!! :)
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Debbie, excellent idea..... :D

How is he doing Pia?
jmboyer

Post by jmboyer »

Pia, I am deeply touched by your beautiful story. Each of us understands the profound impact animal companions have on our lives. My best to your daughter and to this sweet little BF. How about a photo of the little guy....and tell us his name. Thanks again for sharing. You've made my day.
thy

Post by thy »

Thanks to all of you :D

Debbie, I will ask around, never heard of it, but will try to find it.. is there a brand name ???

His real name :lol: Skovfryds Soldier first son of Blue.
For daily: Rasmus
Rasmus is a common boy name here

By the way, his father was born in US brought here to bring back some size and strenght to the Bisons here. He sure did, World class champion as young, aduldt and old.
His mum and sister are World winners too, but Rasmus have a note telling he would be a perfect vacum cleaner :lol: , He liked to go to the shows and met other dogs, but why go in nice lines if you could just fool around and play :lol: and the carpets did smell so gooood :wink:

He have been sleeping a lot today but are eating well.

The lab test showed some liver problem, have to put him on a diet, bad thing is the rheumatism pills he need are not good for the liver... have to talk to the vet about it :wink:

Pia
mommatina
USDA Zone: 5

Post by mommatina »

Pia, Thanks for the story.. I loved it..even though it was sad ... Of course we would know you would do something so wonderful, That's just Pia... I hope Rasmus is doing well and Seline is to.. Prayers for you all...
http://mccomaswv.com/Beartown/beartown_wv.htm
Tina
Challenges make you discover things about yourself that you never really knew.
janey

Post by janey »

Pia~
I love to read your posts. When you write of trying to hear the "music" of someone's language, we know just what you mean....You have music in yours. :wink:

So glad to hear the happy ending of your story. Kids and animals--That is a wonderful combination!
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Pia, I got the toothbrush kit at Walmart. I don't know if u have Walmart in your country. Hubs put the kit somewhere in his closet so when he gets it for me I will look for the name. *S*
I don't go in his closet as people have been seen going in there and have never been seen again. :lol:

Debbie

PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

Pia, your story really touched my heart. I'm so happy to hear that Rasmus came through the surgery just fine and is back home with you and doing well! :D
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

janey wrote:Pia~
I love to read your posts. When you write of trying to hear the "music" of someone's language, we know just what you mean....You have music in yours. :wink:
Exactly Janey!! :D

Pia, I hope the vet gets it worked out with his pills and liver.....Please give him a pat from me! :D
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Pia, the company that makes the toothbrush kit is called WAHL, and the toothpaste is called Smart GROOM, that is what it says on the back of the toopaste tube.

Sorry hubs thru out the actual packaging it came in.
Debbie

Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

ops here is their website
http://www.wahl.com/

I don't know where your country is exactly, but u should be able to find it on the map and click on it.

Debbie

Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

:cool: story! I always liked those little Bitchin Frizzys. :D :wink:
In the past couple of years, I've fed my dogs a natural, raw diet. I haven't had to clean any teeth since. I used to scale the terriers twice a year.
thy

Hej

Post by thy »

Please what do you mean with
I've fed my dogs a natural, raw diet
Would love to know if I can do anything better for him. He have old bones burried all over the garden. Yes he dig and run away, he is the exeption of the Bichons :wink:

He is no way a little scared one :D untill 2 years ago the big German Shephard turned their head for him, and 2 of them belonging to a real " Muscles only no brain man type, just laid down of the street and turned on their back, he was so angry, and I had a hard time not to laugh out lout :lol:

By the way I seldon write on the forum, but love your dog stories

Pia
New Topic Post Reply