Jack Russell Terrier pups

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

Annie
USDA Zone: 5

Jack Russell Terrier pups

Post by Annie »

A friend of mines pups. They are soooooo cute!

She is wanting to give me one but I'm still in the thinking stages. I've been reading up on them and not sure about the cat situation.
I've read if they are brought up with cats they will probably get along with them. Then again on another site it says they won't and will kill them!! But then again my brother in law and his wife have a cat and a Jack russell. They get along very well.
I kinda am not sure about the info I have read. I'm sure it has a lot to do with upbringing.

The single pup is the one I like the best. The other 2 are sold. So there was this one and 3 others that I could choose from. I have Wilma to consider too. I have read that another dog of the opposite sex is better and he is a male pup.
Attachments
pup1mgi.jpg
sibliingsmgi.jpg
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Very cute pups! But aren't those dogs hyperactive, like a dog on coffee? :lol:

Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Annie, I've been around literally hundreds of JRTs. I've only seen a few that could never except a cat if the cat was there first. That doesn't mean it will fall in love with other cats, but yours should be fine. Dogs of the same sex often don't get along as well as dogs of different sex. This goes double for JRTs. My 14lb JRT kicks my 80lb GSD's butt about once a month. The JRT was there first and the GSD knows it. I think it was Pres Eisenhower that said "It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog." He must have know a JRT. :lol:
My best suggestion for anyone getting a JRT is to to fasten your seat belt, and enjoy the ride. :D :D :D
Your in central Il. Memorial Day weekend, May 28-29, my group (Missouri Earthdogs) puts on a big working terrier event at Purina Farms in Gray Summit, Missouri. That's abot one hour drive west of St. Louis, Down Highway 44. There will be go-to-ground, trailing & locating, challenge lure course, power jumping, racing, etc. There could be as many as 200 JRTs in one place. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
This year it will be in conjunction with the Patterdale Terrier Club of America.
It's worth the trip for anyone that likes the crazy little ba$+^rds. :lol: :lol:
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

This is my hunting partner's sweet little Sydney, out for a walk. :o :o :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Attachments
sydney tree.jpg
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

How cute, Annie!! Listen to my Bro... :wink:

:lol: Debbie........I only know of one JR, and that dog is a pain......the girl that grooms Ginger has one, and he doesn't like any other dogs coming in to be groomed.....

Good Luck Annie!! :D
Annie

Post by Annie »

LOL Yeah I guess they are pretty hyper. At least their dad is. He was bouncing all around when I was there :lol:

Thanks for all the info OED!
I was hoping I would hear that from someone who knew. I am leaning very close to getting him.
I want to make sure all my critters get along. If it were true about them all killing cats :eek: there would have been NO WAY!!

The mother is a smooth coat and the father is a rough coat. Hoping he gets the rough coat, I think that is too cute. But they are only about 5 wks old and I have no idea how to tell.
But they are all cute :D There was a female I really liked too but I took into consideration about the same sex deal.

So I'm taking the male, I really like his color.

ya helped me make up my mind :D

Now a name :)

Was thinking about Fred cause I already have a Wilma :lol:
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

You can get one of three coats out of most litters. Smooth, broken and rough. My Pete has a rough coat and if I don't keep it stripped 2-3 times a year, it gets a couple of inches long. When he is kept stripped, he looks like a broken coat. I'll try to find some different pics of his coat. Fred fits! :wink:
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Congrates!! :D

I love people names....Fred is a cute name!....
:D
Annie

Post by Annie »

LucyGoose, I like the people names too :D
Better than Rover or spot LOL. But those are good names too! (In case anyone has a pet with those names :D

OED do their coats get knotted if they aren't stripped?
Or will brushing keep it ok?
I like the scraggly look LOL.

~~Annie~~
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

If the coat is correct, it wont get matted very easily. Some JRTs have Lakeland terrier in their background. They can get a wolly coat that can be a pain in the a$$. It's the Lakeland bred dogs that sometimes produce the nasty temperments. Most of what you get is what you put into it. Pete isn't friendly with other dogs but he knows "god" will bring down his wrath if he acts like a butthead. :D
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Looking at the single pups pic, get him used to nail clipping early or you'll think your trying to trim a buzz saw. Put the pup on his back, on your lap. If he fights you, just give a little shake and say "no" in a firm voice. When he settles down, give a treat. Play with his feet to get him used to that. Also rub his gums with your finger. Reward for correct behaviour.
Good book: Purely Positive by Sheila Booth
patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

Cute puppies!!! :D :D Congratulations on your new family member. You sure came to the right place to ask questions about terriers (or any other dog for that matter.)
OED is the GURU!!! :lol:
Annie

Post by Annie »

I really apprecate all the info on the dogs OED!
I'll teach him to let me play with his feet, he does have sharp little toenails. If I have anymore questions you will be the first person I look for :lol:

I just hope my pup don't take to climbing trees like your friends dog LOL. Thats a great picture!
Course there are no big trees in my fenced in back yard.

I also read they can jump like the dickens. Hopefully my 5' chainlink fence will keep him in LOL.
I had a Peekapoo growing up and he could and did climb a 7' fence. Just climbed right over it.

I'm worse than a little kid i'm just so excited!!

Can't wait to get him home and ahhh yes the whinning and howling at night LOL. Thats the hard part, I feel so bad for them cause I know they miss their mommy. I have to get another crate for him cause I think Wilma's old crate will be a little to big for him.

~~Annie~~
lazygardner

Post by lazygardner »

Annie, I know you will do a fine job with him. All those pups are incredibly cute!
Before criticizing someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them you will be a mile away and have their shoes!
PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

:P Awwww, Annie, he's a cutie and Fred will be a great name for him!! When you get him home, be sure to take lots of pictures and post so we can see! :D
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
Garden_of_Mu
USDA Zone: 7

Post by Garden_of_Mu »

Oh those puppies are sooo cute!!! I needed a puppy fix - thanks! :)

My mom has two rescue JRTs and the cats have kept them in their place easily. Course the cats were there first and already rule the roost, so they weren't about to let a couple of new kids in the house get away with chasing them. They sure tried though, but couldn't figure out whyt he cats just sat there and smacked them instead of running. :lol: They are super active though, and never stop running around when i am ther evisiting. I could never have such a hyper little dog. they make me tired just watching them. I need a more sedate breed.
~ Mike

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don’t
matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Theodore Geisel, aka Dr.
Seuss
Annie

Post by Annie »

Ya just gotta love puppies :D
They are soooo sweet. And rowdy too LOL.
I read where these pups like to chew :eek: But then again what pup dosen't!
Oh well need new chairs anyway :lol:

~~Annie~~
New Topic Post Reply