Weird Dog Behavior!

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

Justme

Weird Dog Behavior!

Post by Justme »

We have a 20 month old Shiz Tzu (sp?), pretty o.k. dog for a dust mop dog :???: . But when we give him large bones with a little meat attached, i.e. Ham bone, or large roast bones, he attacks the bones, shakes it and growls, barks and generally carries on like he is a huge attack dog with the neighborhood burgler! We have to lock him in "his room" becouse this gentle lap dog will start to snap and bark at us! He also bites his own tail, sometime until it bleeds! Barking at us I can understand, we might take his treat back, even though we don't go near him. But the rest of it is weird.

Tami
My Hosta List
It is always something
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Sounds normal for that type of dog, though. The males especially can be quite aggressive and the behavior has a tendency to get worse as they get older. I've known two familes that had male shih zsus (shih tzu?) and had to put them down after they got older because they had become so mean. One in particular was involved in a brutal attack. :(
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

I was going to say, *it's a Shiz Tzu , what did you expect?* Now don't take that in a bad way, Tami.... :D

Wow, that's sad Chris.....I hope Tami's don't be like that.....Maybe you shouldn't give him those bones if it brings out the meanness in him.....OED is gone till Sunday, too.....He might have a suggestion for you....

Good Luck!! :D
Kas

Post by Kas »

I agree with Lucygoose. Do not give him the bones anymore. Also, if he isn't neutered, now is the time! More dog bites are from unaltered males than any other group.

Kas
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; and inside a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Tami,
We had a 9 yr old pek/pug we had to put down in november because he just got too mean I was scared of him when he was in one of "his moods"

When we got him at 1 year old he came with toys, but he was so aggressive with his toys I took them away from him and he never got them back. I would agree with the others, don't give your dog anymore bones.

Debbie

Squash Blossom

Post by Squash Blossom »

I never knew any of that about Shih Tzus...but it certainly might explain my sister's little BooBoo's behavior.

Lynn ended-up with baby BooBoo after someone on impulse bought him as a gift for her granddaughter. Unfortunately, Amy's parents have Black Labs and they would have thought BooBoo was a toy!

BooBoo has proven to be the single most destructive little guy - we were eating out last Sunday and my brother-in-law pulled out his wallet to show us where BooBoo had chewed it all to pieces, including credit cards and money! BooBoo destroyed their sofa, the rugs, any and everything he can get and he honestly does have the strangest personality.

This is interesting information. I'd hate to see BooBoo become a danger to those around him but I can see where it might happen - to be so tiny he has a really ferocious attitude problem.

Ann
To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.
jay dee

shih tzu

Post by jay dee »

I am sure sorry to hear the bad reports on the temperament of this breed that people are experiencing, but this is not normal behavior for the breed. In fact, I consider the breed to be almost too sweet and cuddly and are happy if they can be lap dogs ALL the time.

I have shown and finished many of this breed when I was a professional handler and still have many friends that breed them for show. This is a breed HIGHLY recommended for families with children because they are so happy and tolerant of almost any situation or circumstance that young children can inflict on small dogs.

If you want a pet, please investigate the home/atmosphere where the puppies are raised. Do not buy from puppy mill type situations, pet shops. People breeding for show, always have pet puppies in each litter and are looking for loving homes for them. The breeders should ask you as many questions about your home situation as you ask about their situation. The dam should always be in residence and you should ask to see her too. Stud dogs may or may not be on premesis. The breeder should also insist on a spay/neuter contract with you and the puppy should have all innoculations. Do NOT buy a puppy at 6 or 8 weeks of age. At this age, they should still be with their littermates playing and socializing and learning manners from the dam.

For the Shih Tzu growling at the bone - take it away and don't give it back. For the Shih Tzu that is destroying furniture, wallets, etc. give the dog toys and keep the dog restricted when left alone, plus discipline for the bad behavior. Dogs are like children, they need love, structure and discipline so they can become good citizens.

No, I don't have a Shih Tzu, they are too much of a lap dog for me that wants to lick you in the face all the time. But sweet, if you like that type.

jay dee
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

I have to agree with Jay Dee completely on avoiding the puppy mills and pet shops. In the cases I mentioned I am positive that is where the dogs came from and from their size, health, and temperament I always believed there was a lot of in breeding going on with them. Sad really.

Brian's Mom has 4 Shih Tzu - a mom and 3 of her puppies. They really are sweet dogs but she had one male that attacked the other pups and started attacking people so she had to give him away.

I grew up with one that was horribly mean when he got older and could not be around children or he would attack. He was a wonderful dog when I was growing up though. :???:
jay dee

weird behavior

Post by jay dee »

I am sorry for your bad experience with the breed but all breeds will on occasion produce bad temperaments. I have a cure for problem dogs and it is permanent. Hard to do, but ill natured pets are a no no.

My pet peeve with pure bred dogs is to have someone call a responsible breeder, find out the price of a pet puppy and then tell you they have them for $100 in the local paper. Or the people that call and want to breed their pet female to my dog because they want the kids to experience the miracle of birth. Having a litter of puppies is like having children - they are your responsibility to raise happy, well adjusted puppies and to place them in the same type home.

The rescue organization in my breed are flooded with unwanted dogs and the sad part - 90% of these rescued animals do not look like the breed. They came from puppy mills and backyard breeders that use their dogs to make a little extra money. Raising puppies properly is a very expensive hobby.

If you want a well bred dog and don't want to take on a puppy, check with breeders to see if they have slightly older dogs looking for a home. I have placed many champions into homes after their show careers - champion males I do not want or need bred that are neutered or a female that has had a couple of litters, gets spayed and ready for a pet home. IMHO, all dogs need a kingsize bed of their own.

jay dee
Squash Blossom

Post by Squash Blossom »

Jay Dee,

I noticed your beautiful avatar and had wondered how involved you were with dogs and showing? Don't y'all ever get me started on puppymills and reckless backyard breeding...my Gumdrop lived in a Missouri puppymill wire cage for at least 5-6 years and was so totally traumatized and physically ill a veterinarian working with rescue in that area wouldn't even try to treat her because she had totally lost the will to live.

Gumdrop had never drank water from a bowl, never walked on grass, never been inside a house. She chewed on the wire cage so long she wore her teeth down to little nubbins that look like half of a small pearl and lost most of them to horrific gum infection.

We're hearing almost daily reports from pug owners whose puppies are having seizures, who are having vision, trachea, hip and leg problems...and nine times out of ten it stems from careless breeding.

Careless breeding, commercial puppymill breeding, and animal welfare in general breaks my heart. I heard recently that eight million unwanted dogs are destroyed in public shelters every year but I couldn't believe it...until I did some research and discovered it was true.

Ann
jay dee

weird behavior

Post by jay dee »

Ann - I am not currently showing or breeding and probably never will again. Back surgery three years ago made running around a show ring not overly comfortable. I do own the dog in the picture who is a top producer and used on occasion by other people. I also own his littersister, spayed because hubby said there wasn't any male good enough for her, two champion sons and one neutered almost a champion son.

I have never been a big time breeder - too busy for puppies when I was an active handler and too old when I started showing the cockers. I think in my life I have had a total of five litters, one Maltese, one Lhasa Apso and three cocker litters.

Puppy mills, backyard breeders are the worst thing in the world. The dogs are not cared for, never have health tests and bred to death. Let the females do the work and get those puppies out into the world at 6 weeks of age.

I know the shelters are overrun with unwanted animals but these animals are not being produced by responsible breeders. Too bad the irresponsible give the responsible breeders a bad name.

jay dee
Squash Blossom

Post by Squash Blossom »

Jay Dee,

I agree with you 100%. I feel like breeding should be to improve any breed or breed the healthiest possible puppies and it's like you said, it's too expensive to do it right unless you really are devoted to a specific breed. People kinda' assume that two apparently healthy dogs are going to produce healthy puppies and that's far from true.

I still meet people all the time who have never heard the term "puppymill" and haven't a clue where dogs in pet stores originate.

Ann
Justme

Post by Justme »

Well, we got Dusty at a local pet shop, but the shop person knows the parents, he didn't come from a puppymill, but a local person breading their pets. He seems to be a very good dog, plays well with the cat and the 7 yr DS (they play football together!). Not distructive at all. The only agressive behavior is with the bones. His groomer says he has a great personality and he mostly just wants to be with his people. He lays by my feet when I am on the computer or sewing (ah, but only if DH or DS aren't around :wink: ) Yes, he is fixed. If I want my kids to exprence the miracle of birth we will watch TLC! :lol:

Tami
My Hosta List
It is always something
jmboyer

Post by jmboyer »

Tami, I'm sorry you are having this problem. As puppy mills proliferate, there is no question that abberations in usual breed traits are the result of ruthless breeding practices. Jay Dee, I greatly appreciate your bringing up the subject of puppy mills. This heinous crime needs to be fought at every level. It staggers the mind to realize what these precious animals endure in the hands of criminal breeders. In this area we have a small task force of police officers working on the problem, but they are few in number and are almost always overwhelmed by the enormity of the situation. Citizens need to get involved and to fight for more stringent laws that will dramatically curb and, hopefully, eventually bring an end to puppy mills. Below is a link that gives information about how to get involved. If you have a sensitive nature, and I do, it is difficult to look at some portions of this site, but we have to make a courageous effort to fight this crime and to do all we can at the grass roots level.

http://www.stoppuppymills.org/
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Just about ANY dog will give this response if they have a bone. If you can't separate them during these times, don't give them the bones.
As far as not going near the dog when it has the bone, I wouldn't put up with that. My dog's toys, treats, etc all belong to me and I have the right to take them back any time I want. Giving in to nasty behaviour is an open door for problems.
Living in Missouri, the term "puppy mill" makes my nostrils flair and the hair on my neck stand up. We have the unenviable title as puppy mill capitol of the U.S. :oops: :( :oops: :(
Justme

Post by Justme »

We can take anything - but a real meat bone - from the dog. It was mainly the biting of his own tail that I thought was odd. We just put him in his room if we give him a bone now. He does exhibit any of this behavior with anything else, not treats or toys.

We almost got a second dog this week. A co-workers DH dropped by work, was telling her about someone he knew that is trying to find a home for a 18 month old lab, neutered, housebroken, etc. If they didn't find a home by this weekend they were putting it to sleep!!! Only becouse the mother in law was moving in and they didn't want a large dog living with her!! I don't need a second dog, don't have the room for a large dog, but would have taken it rather than see it distroyed, esp. for such a #$%^$ reason. I believe the co-worker is going to take it herself thought.

Tami
My Hosta List
It is always something
New Topic Post Reply