Pinch collar advice needed

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

patsue53

Pinch collar advice needed

Post by patsue53 »

I've never been successful in training Hugo to walk nicely on his leash. After trying to take him and my 20mo old grandson for a walk together and coming out frazzled and exhausted I decided to try the pinch collar that was talked about it another thread some time back.

Well, it works beautifully!! He doesn't pull my arm out of the socket anymore and walking him is actually enjoyable. I'm still not sure I'm ready to tackle walking both of them by myself again but at least I'm having fun walking my Boxer Buddy again.

Here's my problem: That blasted collar is a BEAST to get on and off. What is the trick that I'm missing? Maybe I should shop around for one tha that has an actual clasp thingy? The way it's designed you have to squeeze together the pinch end of one of the links and fit it inside the next link. This sucker is metal and it's not made to easily squeeze!! I really have trouble getting this thing on him. For some reason, taking it off isn't quite as bad but putting it on has become a real struggle because I think I'm poking Hugo when I'm struggling to squeeze those blasted prongs together to fit it into the holes on the next link.....so he jumps away from me. Yesterday I had to have Alex hold him while I put the collar on. This is not going to be a long term thing if I don't get some solution to this problem.

There were no instructions with this collar. The girl at the pet store fitted it to him...but I decided she fitted it too tight and put one of the links back in. I'm taking it off and putting it on the way I watched her do it but she sure didn't have as much trouble doing it as I am. Am I just a weenie???

HELP!!
Kas

Post by Kas »

Pat, are you trying to open and close it in the front where the leash attatches? I always do it in the back. I bought an expensive one that started whith an H I think. It has nice rounded prongs with no sharp edges. Liberty always sits very nicely when we get the collar out of the drawer. She knows she is going to go for a walk! Maybe Hugo will make the connection and start being still. Boxers are almost too smart, so I bet he will. Good luck!

Kas
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; and inside a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

I don't know Kas. I've tried different links to see if one works easier than another, but they're all very stiff and hard to squeeze together. I looked online and found that they do sell them with regular clasps but I sure hate to waste the bucks I've invested in this one.

Hugo doesn't mind the collar at all when he's wearing it, just when I'm struggling to get it clasped together around his neck. The prongs are pretty blunt but I'm sure if I'm pulling it tight he's not too happy. I'll keep trying..maybe I'll get the hang of it....or devise something to make it easier to close! :evil:
Justaysam

Post by Justaysam »

Pat, try to pinch the prong at diff. spots. First try the tip area on the sides with thumb and fore finger. Then try to pinch in the center. You will find a comfortable place that will work for your with practice.
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Pat, you probably should put the link back in. The pinch collar shoud be snug enough to stay right up behind Hugo's ears. If they are to loose, then it will "pinch" the skin as opposed to just putting pressure on it. Give Hugo treat before, during and after you put the collar on, but only when he's not fighting it. They can be a pain to put on but the quick realeas collar may be the only alternative if it's to much trouble. As long as Hugo is under your watch, put the collar on and off 5-6 times a day even if your not going to take him for a walk. Otherwise he will get wise to it and ignore your commands when it isn't on. Dogs can get "collar wise" very fast. Always give treats when you put it on. It will make Hugo look forward to wearing it.
patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

I finally think I've figured out the trick to the darned thing!!
The last (or first?) link goes into the holes on a thingy that loops at the bottom like safety pin which makes it have some give. So instead of trying to pinch the prongs together, the trick is to spread the other thingy apart a little bit.....which seems to be much easier to do!! Still no breeze to get off and on, but much easier than before!

OED, thanks for the advice to give him treats every time I put the collar on him. He responds well to food rewards :roll: :lol: and I'm sure that will work with him. Wish I'd thought of that. :oops: I'll check the fit too and decide if I should take the link back out.
New Topic Post Reply