Puppy :)

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Ok, we need some updates on Travis. You've had him over a week now. Have ya pulled yer hair out yet? :D :D :wink:
Annie
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Annie »

OED :lol:
Nope hair is still all there.
I have let Travis out with the other critters of my household.
Waz put him in his place real fast!! Didn't use claws though :)
And George, well it's hard to say, he don't hate him, and he isn't scared of him, but he watches him all the time :D No batting from him, he just stays out of the pups way.

Wilma snapped at him once, he was nipping her on the nose, while she was trying to nap on the couch.
She does love playing with him when she isn't napping!
I still am paranoid about her hurting him while playing though :oops: I just can't help it!!

He is into EVERYTHING!!! I only let him have the run of the kitchen so I can watch him. When I have him in the living room I keep him on a leash, in case I gotta get him outside fast LOL!

So lets see, he chews on the couch, chairs, people, and tried the remote for the tv. Oh yeah and he runs and runs and runs.
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Sounds like a typical, adorable puppy!! :lol: I'm looking forward to more pics of him too. :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Betcha OED has cures for that chewing :)

Can't wait to see pics as he grows! :) Better you than I though. After these 2 are gone, I'm done with puppy training :)
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Annie

Post by Annie »

Funny thing you should say that about being done with pups.
Wasn't just 3 weeks ago I was laughing at my sister (and her new puppy) and saying boy better you than me!!! I'm done with all that. :lol:
But I'm not sorry I got him, he is keeping me on my toes thats for sure.
I just knew I didn't want another one, and see what happened???? :D

So never say never LOLOL!
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Nope.........besides the nearly 14 year old twins, we have 2 cats that will probably live another 15-20 years. That's enough already!

We've decided we'll enjoy the 'grandfurrs' after these are gone :) Yes, I have never regretting them for the girls when they were younger. Just never thought about how I'd end up caring for them in their aged status. The girls have wanted to take them, but I won't let them separate them now. They die of lonliness in a month I am sure. :(
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Joan a picture? :lol: How is she ever going to get a picture of him,,, he never is still. :lol: :lol:

Debbie

Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

:D :D :D HOw wonderful! :D :D :D He hasn't even started teathing yet either :eek: . that will come about 4 to 6 months old. Get some Bitter Apple from Petsmart, etc. Don't just spray it where you don't want the pup to chew. Some pups don't give a sh!+ about it. To gaurantee the pup doesn't chew on anything, you have to be just a tad mean :eek: . Three days in a row, twice a day, spritz a little shot in the pups mouth. He'll hate it but I'll guarantee that ANYTHING you spray the Bitter Apple on, will not be touched by the pup. It WILL NOT hurt the pup, but it WILL work. You can even get your own spritz bottle and put a tablespoon full in and fill the rest with water. The diluted stuff can be used on nice stuff (chair covers, linen, etc, without any worries. As for chewing on you, one thing to do is correct and redirect. Every time the pup mouths you, correct it, then redirect it to one of it's own toys. The method I use for a mouthy house pets is to stick my finger in it's throat, just enough to cause it to gag a bit. Don't say anything, and don't show any reaction. The pup will believe that it's creating the uncomfortable situation, not you. It doesn't take long. They should outgrow all the mouthiness by 6-7 months. I say I use that method for house pets cause with my SAR/Schutzhund dog, Thunder,I didn't want to inhibit any mouthyness. I just kept a tug toy in my pocket, and when he started the mouthyness, I brought out the tug toy. DO NOT play tug while the pup is teething.
Annie

Post by Annie »

I will get some of that bitter apple stuff and try it your way. I had it for Wilma when she was a pup but she liked it LOL!

I forgot what it was like having a puppy :o
I go to bed late and get up around 5:30 when he wakes me so he can go outside. And he goes right away.

Now during the day it's a diffent story.
I take him out and wait and wait and wait some more.
I ignore him so he will go, but sometimes ya gotta laugh at him. He runs this way and that, well as far as he can with the short leash I keep on him. Then the next thing I know he comes running at me and bounces off my feet just to take off again!
That pup can hold it longer that any dog I've seen or at least it seems that way in the 20 mins I have him out there to do his business :lol:
I can hardly wait till he gets to the destructive stage :eek:

~~Annie~~
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Lots of dogs will ignore the bitter apple if nothing is done but spritz the "object".
With a new pup, I take them out every 20 mins (ya got nothin better to do right :lol: ) , after it eats, wakes up, plays. When you take him out, NO PLAYING till he goes. It wont take long for that message to sink in. When he goes, he gets treated like a king. Give praise, a treat, a fav toy, whatever floats his boat. No food or water after 7 (that can vary with your hours). If you can't keep your eye on him, crate him. Make sure the crate is small enough that he can't go to one end and do his stuff, then go to the other end and sleep. NOW is the perfect time to start MOTIVATIONAL obedience. "Purely Posative" companion to competition, by Shelia Booth is a great book. I only disagree with the book on the fact that she never gives physical corrections. My thoughts are, once the dog really knows the exercise, THEN I don't feel bad about correcting it. Shelia bases her trianing on the "clicker" method. The clicker is nothing more than a "marker" to tell the dog he done good. I've never done it, but it works.
garden_lover

Post by garden_lover »

We crated our dog (he passed away at age 14 last year) and within a week he was totally house broken! I highly recommend the crate method!
<font><i>Carol</i></font>
New Topic Post Reply