My sweet boy, Kibbie, is gone

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

amr-ind

Post by amr-ind »

(((((Janet)))))

I'm so sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you at this time. May your memories of Kibbie bring you comfort.
janey

Post by janey »

At the time Banks died from this, I heard somewhere that there was a move to put something in anti-freeze to repel animals and kids from the taste.

Considering the stats you've quoted, it seems that this would be the obvious solution, so why hasn't it been done already? No chemistry in this background, so I don't even know what antifreeze consits of, but it sure seems like something could be done relatively quickly. And should be!

Janet~ I hope you are feeling a little better tonight. I have thought of you all day....Hope your day is nice tomorrow so you can enjoy your garden.

Hugs.
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

This is my first visit to the pet forum in the last few days and I am just shocked and so very sorry , Janet, for your loss of Kibbie. :cry: Like all the forum members here, I understand your grief and, even though I may not have adequate words to express my sympathies, I want you to know that you are in my prayers. May God give you comfort and peace at this horrible time. Your choice of burial spots is lovely and is so fitting for your beautiful Kibbie. Kibbie was very lucky to have you as his rescuer and you gave him something he desperately needed in the last years of his life....a happy and loving home. Now he resides in a different home....his heavenly home....where, I believe, he will wait for you to someday join him.
((((Janet))))
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Squash Blossom

Post by Squash Blossom »

Hi Janet,

I'm late reading about Kibbie but it just breaks my heart. I remember an earlier time when you posted that picture and I thought he was just beautiful.

I did a special report last winter at PugVillage about antifreeze and there is a brand or formula that does not contain the deadly ingredient but I don't remember what it was right now.

The saddest thing I've ever heard was someone here where I live deliberately putting antifreeze out to kill neighborhood cats. It just makes me feel physically ill to know people can be that sadistic.

I'm a true believer in the Rainbow Bridge...I think Kibbie is now in the arms of a special angel, his health totally restored, and one day you'll meet again. I believe the good Lord gave us pets to teach the meaning of love, devotion and companionship and the bonds so many of us have with our pets is never truly severed by death.

Ann
To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.
jmboyer

Post by jmboyer »

Thank you all again for your kind words. Your posts have given me immeasurable comfort, and the information you have provided about antifreeze has set my research off in new and important directions.

Ann and Janey, your hopeful information that a non-poisonous antifreeze may already exist sent me back to Google for a more thorough search. I found an article at the site given below in which someone asked: "I've heard about a new "environmentally safe" nonpoisonous antifreeze. What is it?"

Here is the link and part of the answer:

http://ca.autos.yahoo.com/maintain/coolant_answer2.html

"It's propylene glycol (PG) antifreeze, sold under the "Sierra" brand name. Every other brand of antifreeze contains ethylene glycol (EG).
Antifreeze made with propylene glycol is being marketed as a "safer" alternative to ordinary antifreeze. Though it is by no means safe to drink, it is significantly less toxic than ordinary ethylene glycol antifreeze -- which may be a important difference to pet owners and parents of small children. PG also has an unpleasant taste which discourages further sampling by thirsty animals and toddlers..."

The article goes on to say that there is very little difference in the performance of the two types of antifreeze and that both "will perform adequately under most vehicle operating conditions."

Also according to the article, GM appears to be the only group that will allow the Sierra brand to be used as a factory-fill antifreeze. Most vehicle manufacturers, however, choose not to use the new product because of higher costs. This means that my letters will be going to vehicle manufacturers as well as to federal and state lawmakers. How these other manufacturers can justify perpetuating this risk to small children and animals is incomprehensible to me--especially when one considers that the remedy for this cruel poisoning danger is clearly at hand and readily available. It is blatantly unconscionable. There is no cost too great to save our children and our beloved animal companions.

Thank you, friends, for your patience and understanding. I planted flowers around Kibbie's grave today. With Blondie and Chelsea, my constant garden companions with me, it was a very peaceful day.

Annika

Post by Annika »

Janet : hugs !!!

Annika
wild4flowers

Post by wild4flowers »

I feel deeply for you. Our pets are our life. Anyone who has none just doesn't understand. CHAR
BillyB
USDA Zone: 6B

Post by BillyB »

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Thoughts and prayers for your loss.
Billy
BillyB
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world." - John Muir
My Hosta List
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

ohhh that story made me cry. Im so sorry to hear of you loss of kibbie.
ladyblue
USDA Zone: 5B

Post by ladyblue »

(((Janet))) I'm so sorry to hear about your Kibbie!! :(
My 14 yr. old Beagle is also buried in my Hosta garden and I think of him every day that I walk by his spot!!He used to like to lay right between the plants and now it's his garden.
You will remember Kibbie with love!!
Bonnie
Doris_J

Post by Doris_J »

Janet, I just saw this. I'm so sorry about poor Kibbie. I'm sure Kibbie had a wonderful life with such a caring family. I'll be thinking of you.
jmboyer

Post by jmboyer »

To those of you who have offered condolences since my last comments, and indeed, to all of you who have taken the time to post on this thread, my sincere thanks and my deepest gratitude. You have given me more comfort than you can imagine. Thank you all for your kind and caring hearts.
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

Janet,
I just got back into the forum and read this post. I cannot tell you how sorry I am about Kibbie and my tears ran as I read your post. I have never lost an animal to antifreeze maybe because I am out in the country and so it would be absorbed by the ground but I cannot imagine how hard it would be to have to put a beloved pet down because of it.
I think maybe you have a "mission" now that, in the long run, will help all animals avoid this horrible death, and all pet owners avoid making such a hard decision.

Ginger
jmboyer

Post by jmboyer »

Thank you, Ginger. I deeply appreciate your kind words.
New Topic Post Reply