Thumbs Down Here Cat In Perinnal Garden

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

tap_ia_hifive_29

Post by tap_ia_hifive_29 »

Need help here. Two ten month barn cats are spending time in my perinnal garden and of course using it as their litter box.
Now my question is, is there anything safe for me to place out there that is not harmful to them (cats) or my perinnals to defer them from using that area? They use the litter box in the barn on rainy days and when they are in there.
It just seems like when I am out there digging and working with the flowers they just make it their place of residence in more ways than one.
Tap/Pat
jmboyer

Post by jmboyer »

I've had much success with snippets of pine or blue spruce boughs and pine cones. Cats don't like to step on anything prickly. I've also tried citrus peels with a modicum of success. I've heard that cocoa mulch works, although I haven't tried it myself.

Liquid Fence for cats and dogs is also a good product. Here is a link:
http://www.liquidfence.com/index.asp?Pa ... tegory=203

I've heard that the scent of coyote or fox urine will work, too. Here is a link:
http://www.critter-repellent.com/cat/cat-repellant.php

PetSmart also carries a variety of humane cat scat products. Here is that link:
http://shop.petsmart.com/cat-repellant.htm

I hope this helps. Good luck.
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

I use my rose bush trimmings and put them in the beds to keep the cats out.

Debbie

tap_ia_hifive_29

Thumbs Down here Cat in Perinnal Garden

Thanks to you great forum buddies
for your quick reply of help.
I have spruce branches and also rose trimmings that I never can get rid of fast enough.
The web sites all are going to be placed in favorites and I will get at least one product.

Tap/Pat
gardenandcats

Thumbs Down here Cat in Perinnal Garden

Post by gardenandcats »

Not sure how big your garden area is. But I have found that buying the plastic forks and sticking them down in the ground around areas that cats are using as a litter box. Stops them from digging around. And it does no harm to them at all. They don't like digging with the forks tines pointed up.
tap_ia_hifive_29

Hi C in G: Love your stage name, how appropriate!!
Will give the plastic forks a try in one of the smaller gardens. I assume when I treat one I will have to do them all. So far I have only three that do not have a pebbly type mulch.
Thanks for the tip!!

Tap/Pat
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Janet gave some excellent suggestions....Good Luck keeping them out! :D
tap_ia_hifive_29

Thumbs Down Here Cats in Perinnal Gardens

Just a quick update. I am trying the orange peels in one garden, the plastic forks in another and since we are having our home resided in have retrived some scraps of vinyl and placed them around in the final garden. Sooooooo we will see as time goes which ones work. So far so good. I will get some cocoa mulch (think that makes sense as they do not like to walk on rough stuff). Also think the Liquid fence for furry animals will be a good investment at the garden center.
Thanks for your advice.

Tap/Pat
New Topic Post Reply