Stones in the bladder

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

hostaanita
USDA Zone: 6

Stones in the bladder

Post by hostaanita »

I hope someone has some ideas for us . Our dog , Buddy was operated on to remoce 9 stones in his bladder a bout three weeks ago ,.He's doing good but the problem is the vet has put him on a canned special diet....which he hates . Only eats about a quarter of it . Is there anything else I can give him ...like some kind of home made food maybe . I'm so worried about him . He's 11 and our best friend.

He's a poodle pom mix only 17 lbs...
:(
Anita
    Making our world beautiful , one backyard at a time.
    Snow

Post by Snow »

What is the food?
    ~*Snow*~
    hostaanita

Post by hostaanita »

The food is called "Urinary SO." by Royal Canine.
      Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Anita, I wouldn't go against the vets diet. Make sure you don't start giving treats to try and make up for the not eating. Buddy wont starve himself. Do you leave the food down all day? Whatever Buddy doesn't eat in 15 mins, pick it up, and don't put it down till the next day. After doing this for 4-5 days, he'll realize he has to eat what you give him. I promise you this will be lots harder on you than Buddy. DO NOT give him something he likes just to get him to eat. It's to easy to kill our dogs with kindness. Tough love! :wink:
      Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

I would call the vet and ask if he/she has any suggestions.

Debbie

bkshasta

Post by bkshasta »

Many years ago we had a dog that had Kidney stones. He was just a puppy at the time. Less than a year old.

Before we knew it was kidney stones, we thought the dog was consitpated. Noticed he wasn't doing his business. Called vet and he said give him a suppository. Took three of us, and we never did get it done.
      Took dog in to Vet. Turned out it was kidney stones. Vet did whatever he did, and dog was all better. I think the dog was on special food for awhile also. He wasn't too happy about it either, but he lived to be 12 yrs. old.

Hope Buddy is feeling better soon. But perhaps you should call your vet. Maybe there is some other food he could recommend.

Side note: We could never sneak up behind that dog ever. He wouldn't bite. Just wouldn't let anyone near his backside. Also, when I had to take that dog to the Vet, dog wanted to tear him apart. Any other time with any other people he was a friendly dog.
      Karry
      hostaanita

Post by hostaanita »

Thanks for your suggestions. I did go back to the vet and there is another brand she gave me to try . I'm hoping he likes it more .

I'm going to follow your advice on the 15 min rule Debbie . I have been leaving it and them washing his bowl and trying again . Not sure if the food's going to work but I hope ..

Thanks

Anita
        LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

I had the same thing but with my cat.....Just give him what the vet says....You can't give treats or anything...You don't want those stones back.....Do what OED said......He will not starve.....I have that same brand, but in cat food.....Good Luck!! :D
        New Topic Post Reply