Updated pics of Travis

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

Annie
USDA Zone: 5

Updated pics of Travis

Post by Annie »

This is what its like when I take Travis outside to potty.
Sometimes he forgets why he is out there LOL.
But I always outwait him!
I took these today.
Let me tell ya he is a lot more active now than 2 weeks ago :lol:
Attachments
Where is itgmi.jpg
rolling in grass mgi.jpg
TS mgi.jpg
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
garden_lover

Post by garden_lover »

He is just adorable! :D
<font><i>Carol</i></font>
PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

:cool: He is too, too cute!! :lol: Great pics!
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

And he's gonna keep getting more active as he grows. My JRT, Pete, is about 8-9. He finally started slowing down.....yesterday, I think. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

OMG, how cute!! That belly picture is adorable.....Keep the pictures coming, they grow so fast!!

Thanks!! :D
Annie

Post by Annie »

OED LOL thanks for that info :lol:
I have been watching him and Wilma play. She is very gentle with him :D Even though it looks like she is killing him in the pic :eek: He keeps comming back for more.

He has started growling at me when I take his leash off.
I'm not sure if he is mad or playing! Not every time. I just tell him no!
Should I stop him from doing this and if so how?
Attachments
travis and wilma1MGI.jpg
Wilma and Travis mgi.jpg
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Too cute! Love that close up of wilmas mouth full! LOL

Was she saving him, or telling to get down now? :lol:
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Snow

Post by Snow »

He is soooo cute - he almost doesnt look real :wink:
~*Snow*~
jmboyer

Post by jmboyer »

Omigosh, I can't believe how precious he is! Snow is right. He's so perfect that looks like a little stuffed toy. I wish I could just love him to pieces. The photos with Wilma are equally priceless. Thanks so much for sharing your sweet babies with us.
patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

Fantastic pics! He is just too cute and Wilma looks like a great surrogate Mama! He looks like a riot! :lol: :lol:
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

At his young age, the growling in just being impatient. Don't let it happen! It can easily grow into dominance. JRTs respond in a number of different ways to being corrected. Most accept it with no problems. I would scruf him, lift him a little off of the ground, tell him a firm no. If he tries to object,don't let him go till he submits or at least relaxes his body. Stay very calm. Getting upset and hollering will just feed into him if he's a tantrum thrower. My JRT Pete is slightly asque in his head. (overly sharp temperment). All I can do with him is get in his face and tell him "down". Ordering him into a submissive position works. Trying to get physical just puts him over the edge, then he wants to eat my liver. :D :D :D :wink:
garden_lover

Post by garden_lover »

When our dog was a puppy and "misbehaved", my husband used to get right in his face with a very strong voice and say "no" or whatever, and our dog used to immediately roll over onto his back in the submissive position.

I think you have to make the puppy know that you are the alpha dog...that you are the dominant member.
<font><i>Carol</i></font>
Annie

Post by Annie »

LOL I took the pics to work and everone said he looked like a stuffed toy! Trust me he isn't.
Oh and Wilma was pulling him out from under the coffee table in that picture :D

I will correct him for this growling, thanks.

Ok now another question for OED!

About the alpha dog position.
Wilma has bit at him twice when he was bothering her. And thats the only time. She lets him eat out of her bowl and water bowl with no problem, and even play with her toys.

But last night he didn't eat his supper soI took it up and put him to bed. Well needless to say he was starving this morning. I put his food down and Wilma saw it and tried to sneak a peice of his puppy food (out of HIS bowl). He lunged at her while growling and she backed down and just lay there watching him.
He tried this with me a few days ago but I did the scruff thing and told him no, and had no problems since with his food.

So I did the same thing with Wilma. Don't know if I should have but I held him and let Wilma take a few bites so he would know Wilma gets hers first. Then he got to eat.
If I did wrong how should I approach this. Or can I do anything about him wanting to be boss dog. Should I just let them figure out the alpha position?
This is the first time he growled at Wilma and not in play.

~~Annie~~
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

Annie, Travis is just so adorable. I'm with Janet, I would love to love him to pieces. :D I love the pics of Wilma and Travis together, so cute.

I'm interested in OED's reply about the food too.
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Food posessiveness is often just that. Pete, My JRT is top dog here and whups my 80lb GSD's butt about once a month. That doesn't keep Thunder from growling aroun his food when Pete comes close.
It's not at all uncommon for an older dog to allow a young pup to take food, toys, etc. She may not allow this as Travis gets older. At this point, ALWAYS give her food first, pet her first, greet her first, put her collar and leash on first, etc. She needs to know the pup isn't going to replace her in your affection. You can't really determine who will be dominant in the social structure. They have to work it out on their own. With a male and a female, I doubt they will have any serious problems. Thunder's nose has a few scars on it from Pete and withing the next 6 months to a year, it's possible that Thunder may try to overturn Pete's authority. That's could be touchy because of the difference in size and the fact that I know Pete wont leave the throne peacefully :roll: . Then again, nothing may happen. When the DD's were little, I had a 9lb terrier/poodle that absolutely ruled my 130lb GSD/Dane. I don't know if you have small kids around but two things need to be done. FIRST, the kids need to learn to respect the dogs feeding time. Even so, When my grandkids are over, they feed the dogs. They only put half the food in the bowls. The other half gets put in a few bits at a time (UNDER CLOSE SUPERVISION). What this does is teach the dogs that hands around the bowl are a good thing and they will bring more food. The dog learns he doesn't have to be defensive when someone (kids in particular) come around the bowl at feeding time. My Pete can be a nasty, unsociable little $#!+, but when the kids are there, he know's it's treat time.
Annie

Post by Annie »

Thanks OED.
The problem is I leave Wilmas food out all the time.
And When I get up in the morning I have to let Travis out FAST! If not then he won't wait. So I'm in a pickle :o
This is the only time I let Travis outside before Wilma. The rest of the time It's Wilma first. I feed them treats she gets hers first. And the petting too.
I always give her my attention first in every other aspect.
I figured they would have to work it out for themselves. Thanks for confirming this for me.

No we have no kids to worry about.

On a good note, I put Travis' food down this morning and when Wilma went over and took a bite, he only wagged his tail at her.

Oh he is a riot all right! When I'm home I leave him out but keep a close eye on him. He and Wilma play constantly!! Wilma wears him out, thank goodness :D
LOL I love watching him and Wilma playing.
The cats even join in once in a while!

~~Annie~~
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Not all dogs can learn to be self feeders like Wilma. Just keep your eyes peeled to make sure Travis doesn't turn out to be a little pig dog. Also, I don't know what your feeding, but I'm not a big fan of puppy food after 4-5 months old. They just don't really need it. It's more important for the larger breeds to get off puppy food early because to fast growth puts a lot of stress on hips.
New Topic Post Reply