Cable tieouts

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

Old earth dog

Cable tieouts

Post by Old earth dog »

I think these things can be safe if used properely but I just don't like them. Today, I hurdled 3 fences (that's gonna hurt tomorrow) while I was running to find out what a neighbor lady was screaming about, four yards down. When I got there, she was screaming at the top of her lungs cause her large, 16 yr old dog had twisted himself up and strangled on the cable wire. It wasn't a pretty sight. I got her back in her house and proceded to use a bolt cutter to get the dog unwrapped and buried in the yard for her.
I understand it's sometimes necessary to tie out a dog. PLEASE do it safely.
Hosta12_Ia

Post by Hosta12_Ia »

Oh how sad, but what a good neighbor.
The Garden is a Mirror of the Heart
jmboyer

Post by jmboyer »

Oh, my word....what a tragedy. How terrible for the poor dog, and the woman....and you, too, OED. It must have been very difficult for you to go through all that, and writing about it couldn't have been easy either. But thank you so very much for bringing this danger to our attention.
Justaysam

Post by Justaysam »

you're a good man Oed. I know some people don't like them, but my invisible fence has saved me from getting rid of my dogs. I can't have fences here and I could never leave a dog out on a cable, leash or any kind of tie out all alone. I have seen too what can happen :cry:
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Oh that's awful OED! How terrible! That poor animal, woman and you!

My cousin had a dog that was tied up, it jumped the fence and strangled itself.

You were such a good person running to her aid, God Bless you! And I hope u won't hurt too badly tomorrow *HUGS*

Debbie
PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

:o What a sad story OED. I can count on one hand the number of times I've tied a dog out. I'm like you and just have a really hard time with it. The poor lady, what a heartbreaker. And bless your heart for being such a wonderful neighbor.
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

OMG, how sad!!!!! That poor women....:-(

Huggs to you Bro for doing all that for her.....I would not have been able to do that what-so-ever!

So Sad!
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

awww that poor dog. What an awful thing for all or you to go thru. Im sure she is full of guilt.

Your a good neighbor,more should be like you.
patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

Oh my gosh, what a horrible, sad experience! You're a good neighbor and friend to come to her aid like that. She must have been so horrified to find her poor old companion in such a condition, knowing how much he suffered.

Thanks for the reminder for the rest of us. Hugo is an escape artist and can never be left in my fenced in yard alone, but he's also never left on his tie-out alone either. Alex left him for ("just a few minutes, MOM!") the other day and he chewed through his nylon tie-out and ran over to play with the neighbor girl. :roll: Thank God there was no car coming.

Give yourself a nice hot soak tonight and take a good dose of ibuprofen. Might help take the edge off the sore muscles tomorrow. :(
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Thanks folks! The really irritating thing about all this is when she moved in a little over a yr ago, I commented to her then about the tie out. It's one of those plasatic coated steel cables that have no flexibility and it was way to long. The dog could run up on the deck, under the deck, all over. She basically blew me off and told me she had been doing that since the dog was a pup. Also, she wasn't breaking any law, so it was none of my business. Well, she hasn't been anyone's favorite neighbor, but I couldn't see letting her go through all that regardless. Now I feel like crap cause I should have kept a watch on how it went down hill at her place. Not a guilt trip cause I can't really see her yard from mine. Just really pissed about the whole thing. I had to bite my tongue to keep from going off on her but I knew it wasn't the time or place. With the 5-6 people that showed up within a few mins, they were all gagging and making such a stink about the condition of the dog, I figured "What the hell", Just do it"! It may be a terrible thing to say but, being in some tough spots in my SAR work, people in this condition don't bother me as much as that dog did. Yeah, I know! Dumb thing to say, but I'm gonna have to simmer on this one for a while before I cool off. Thanks again! :wink:
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

OED, please don't feel guilty about this at all. you did what was 'legal'. This side of stealing her old companion and finding a better home for it, I don't know what else you could have done. Although they DO use diseased lungs to show kids why NOT to smoke. Maybe a picture of this dog caught up in the cable would show others why NOT to use them them!

We tried to tie out dog out when pups, but with 2 of course it was impossible even one time, so thankfully that shot that deal down!

So what is the best way. Our have always been fenced and never been diggers, but the old lab next door has a cable that runs from his back door to our fence line behind his house. Are they all unsafe? The cable runs about 8 foot off the ground and his cable is attached to it.
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

OED, I'm so sorry u had to deal with that espcially after telling that woman how dangerous it was!

And I also understand why seeing that poor dog like that would upset u more than seeing a person.

We as pet owners have a great responsibility to keep our animals safe and to love them. We choose them as pets it's not the other way around, so we have to do our best to keep them safe.

I like the leashes that are fishing lines like, u know they go in and out as the dog moves. We use to tie Bijoux up to the dog knob while he did his business and then bring him back in the house. Tegan has one too, but she doesn't get tied outside we take her outside.

OED, I hope u can get over the sight of that poor dog. *HUGS*

Debbie

Lionitus

Post by Lionitus »

Oh Dear, OED. I'm so sorry for you all. Bless your kind soul for helping her by laying her poor dog to rest.
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Jane, the over head cable tie outs are about the safest IMHO, but they still need to be done properly. The line to the dog should have a swivel on both ends and it shouldn't let the dog be able to go around the trees, posts, etc or allow the dog to get to a fence.
Debbie, I know I'll get over the sight. I've taught myself to view death as just another process of life. It's just the ignorance that creates it that I have trouble getting over.
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

What an awful experience!!! We did use the overhead cables a long time ago and they worked well. We made sure there was nothing that our doggy could get herself wrapped around. One end was attached to the house and the other to a post. Gave her a good distance to travel and only the post to go around. I guess we were fortunate that she didn't wrap herself up in it!! I much preferred the fence area we kept her in , because she could be loose inside of it. We do tie her out now...again to an overhead and she is getting old ,so she mainly just wants to sleep in the sun or shade (depending on the weather) most days. She does enjoy her walks every day and starts out frisky, but tires out quickly. She's about 18 now and I hate the thought of her passing on. I hope when the time comes it will be something quiet and peaceful and not traumatic like you saw with your neighbor's dog. You're a good man, OED. Must have been hard not to go off on that woman since you had already warned her. Let's hope she doesn't decide to get another dog and use the same contraption on it.
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

If she gets another dog and it shows up on a tieout, it's gonna dissapear. I got no scruples. My brother has a (now)beautiful pitbull that I "found" 8yrs ago in a yard down the street. Rosy had been fought, and was in bad shape. I "rescued" her. 8-) 8-) I've decided if it's gonna save a dogs life, I'll gladly fall into my old habits. 8-) 8-) :wink:
jmboyer

Post by jmboyer »

The only reason I bought this house five years ago over two others I was considering was the fact that the property was completely enclosed by sturdy fence. Although those other houses had features I was seeking that this one didn't have, I chose this property anyway, because I always have the comfort of knowing that my Blondie and Chelsea will be safe. Even so, I always check front and back to be sure that the gates are securely latched before letting my girls out the door.

My heart goes out to those who don't have that option and who have open areas on their property through which animals can escape. Tethering, then, becomes a necessity at times to keep our animals from straying into the streets. In those instances, keeping those tethering times brief and never allowing a tethered dog to be unwatched for any period of time is the only course of action to take. They are like children. We can never take our eyes of them for very long.

As far as I'm concerned, OED, you are our "caped crusader," not only training rescue dogs and working diligently in that field, but also rescuing dogs from the cruelty of dog fighting. Nothing is more despicable than those who force helpless creatures into this bizarre and wicked activity. Thank you for being you and for being such a stalwart defender of animal rights and fighter against animal cruelty. We need many, many more people like you on this earth.
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

:oops: :oops: Thanks for the kind words Janet, but I'm just a nice old granpa. Besides, you don't !!EEEEEEVER!! wanna see me in blue tights with red jockies. :eek: :eek: :eek: :oops: :wink:
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

OED, I'm so glad that you were there to give the poor old doggie a decent burial. I hope you find a way sometime in the future to let the owner know that she must never allow that to happen again. You are an amazing man, my friend! I hope you are able to move today, after your sudden entry into the world of high hurdles.
I've seen dogs out on cables before, and seen them wrapped around poles or caught on their doghouse. My sister is a vet tech, and she has horror stories to tell about them. She became and underground fence installer last year to try to do as much as she can to improve the lives of pets.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply