The Heart and Soul of Animals

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

Lionitus

The Heart and Soul of Animals

Post by Lionitus »

The next time I hear someone say "it's just another cat" or "it's just another dog" or make that remark in reference to any animal, I'll relate this story (not that it will make much difference to someone who would say that anyway.)

Our kitty Emmitt, as most of you know, was rescued from a death by starvation by my husband. It's a long story but to shorten it, Emmy and my husband lived alone together for six months while my DH and I were separated because of his work. So they formed quite an attachment. I believe what happened to us last week proves that animals are thinking, feeling, intelligent creatures. Not just commodities put here for our "use."

My DH had to go on an extended business trip. He was gone for 9 days. The day after he left, Emmy took ill. He refused to eat, began to vomit and developed severe diahrrea. I took him to the doctor and we started two types of meds, but Emmy continued to decline. I called my husband and told him what was happening and that he should be prepared to put Emmy down. We thought we had come to the end of his life. Emmy grew so weak that he lost his meow and would just whisper a little sound when he tried to cry. I was giving him watered down food through a feeding syringe which he did not fight. He was so hungry but would not eat on his own. My husband returned and when he walked in the house, Emmy immediately got to his feet, walked to my husband and in a loud, strong cry started talking to my husband as if to say "where have you been? I thought you were never coming back. How could you leave me?" DH picked him up and Emmy rubbed DH's face with his face. It was quite a homecoming scene. Emmy then proceeded to eat a whole can of food my husband gave him. I was crying with relief.

So, it has become quite clear that Emmy thought he had been abandoned again and by the one person he had come to trust. I've never seen Emmy that ill and depressed. It has been three days since my husband's return and Emmy is eating well, talking up a storm and again sleeping in his special spot on his soft blankets. He seems to have recovered.

If that doesn't prove the existence of a soul in animals, what does? The are living, breathing beings who feel the pain of separation and sadness just as we do.

I appreciate everyone here so much. I come here to renew my faith in humanity.

Lionitus
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

What a great ending to a sad story! My MIL had a dog like that, when she was away he would not eat, would not drink or anything. He would be fine when she came back home. When she had to go into a nursing home in her last desperate battle with cancer we did not know what we were going to do with her little dog. For the first 3 days he would only lie around and finally we smuggled him in the nursing home (thankfully he was a little toy poodle). Both he and my MIL were so happy and she just perked up so much with her little dog around, the nursing home gave us permission to bring him every day. She did not live very long, and after her death her sister took her little dog, but he did not do well, he ended up dying about a month after she did. It broke all our hearts. Dogs know who loves them and they greive like people.
PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

Both of your stories touch my heart. I believe that animals can love like humans. I have an abused rescue Sheltie and she is very attached to me, follows me everywhere, in the house and outside, and I'm the only person she will come to when called. I've seen her upset where she won't touch her food and she will go 24 hours without eating. Just like Emmitt and the poodle you describe here. My biggest concern is what will happen to her if something happens to me? :(
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

O.C.'s Pooper Dog is like that

Post by oldcoot »

If one or the other of us is not here (he wants BOTH of us here at the same time all he time ) he will stop eating. Last week-end Joy went to Charleston for a Red-Hat thingie and left Friday Morning, Came back Sunday night. He drank a lot of water but would not eat a bite unless hand fed. He and O.C. both love Tomato Sandwitches, so that is what we lived on. AS SOON AS JOY WALKED IN, he walked into the kitchen and ate his supper that I had put down but he had not touched. O.C. and Joy love their MUTT !!

The usually FUNNY and always most FRIENDLY Old Coot named John, a Gardener for the Lord, saying thank YOU LORD for his good friends that share and for the nice rain that has made all his plants grow so well this year
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
jmboyer

Post by jmboyer »

Lionitus and all, I am deeply touched over your stories about the powerful emotions our animal companions can feel. What an extraordinary privilege it is to be among friends who understand, as all of you understand, that animals are sentient beings who, just like humans, are able to feel love, joy, sadness, and even deep melancholia in the absence of those they adore. Scarcely a day goes by that I am not eternally grateful to Chris for providing this wonderful Pet Forum where we can share with and support one another.
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

OMG what a great happy ending story. They sense things that we cant possibly imagine. Im so glad that your DH returned when he did.I hope that Emmie continues to improve.
Lionitus

Post by Lionitus »

See? I knew there were lots of other people with furkids just like mine.

Janet, your words are always so heartfelt and beautiful. I too am very thankful to Chris for this forum. He's a great person and has given voice to those of us who are such committed animal supporters.

Old Coot, what lovely sentiments. Your dog loves you both so much!

Wingnut, thank you. It's been three days since DH's return and Emmie is doing sooooo much better.

Peg, your sheltie is blessed to have you and you are blessed in return by her love and devotion. All but two of my kitties are rescues and I believe they appreciate those who rescue them so much.

Ginger, your story is heartbreaking. Most people think this is crazy, but my husband and I have a provision in our wills that leaves a certain amount of money to my SIL. We are so very lucky to have her because she is an animal lover like us and has consented to care for our furkids if something happens to us. In return, we've made her beneficiary to an insurance policy we have to cover all the expenses of raising our animals. Hopefully, the amount is large enough to do that until our animals come to the end of their lives. I simply cannot bear the thought of my animals being turned over to a shelter if something goes wrong and we're not here for them anymore. It probably is a little unconventional but something we had to do.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.
Squash Blossom

Post by Squash Blossom »

I loved that story. There are so many amazing animal stories...too many not to confirm the deep bonds people and their pets form. I've heard stories about the bond one pet will form with another, so deep that the death of one pet will leave the other so grief stricken that it too will die.

With every ounce of my being I am positive my Gumdrop would die if we were separated for any length of time. I went to Missouri five years ago and adopted Gummy from a pug rescue. She had spent her entire life in a puppymill cage and was so traumatized she had lost the will to live...she was horribly ill but the veterinarian felt it was pointless to attempt to treat her because she was so near death.

We had gone to Missouri to adopt another pug but the minute Gumdrop saw me and I saw her I swear I saw a flicker of hope in her face and by the time we got home, app. 12 hour trip one way, she was already responding to being loved and comforted.

Gummy is the dearest, sweetest little dog on earth and a source of constant inspiration to me. Anytime I'm down or feeling sorry for myself, I think about what a 10 lb. pug endured for the first 5-6 years of her life and yet she had the spirit to recognize love and hope and I'll be O.K.

Ann
To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

Ann, You are wonderful to care about pugs the way you do, and Gummie is as lucky as you are to have found her!
I adore pugs, my grandmother had them the whole time I was growing up. She had a male named MacDougal, and a female named, what else , Mugs! They went everywhere with us, even into the mountains camping and into the desert arrowhead hunting. I miss them still.

Ginger
Annika

Post by Annika »

lionitus, thank you for such a moving story. Yes, I believe many animals have deeper feelings than people realize.

Annika
New Topic Post Reply