New babies home from the Humane Society

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

New babies home from the Humane Society

Post by Chris_W »

As you may recall we debated having our own kittens but after shots and spaying the two we had we decided adoption was the way to go.

Last Saturday we added 2 more cats to the family. From the Humane Society they were $50 each, fixed, shots, tested for FIV and leukemia, included 8 lbs of dry food, kitty litter, beds, toys, wet food, and a free vet visit.

They had been born to a mother that was brought in pregnant so have lived at the humane society for 8 months. After a week we have them trained on the scratching post and they are fully litter box trained.

The black one was scared at first but has turned into the most lovable cat you can imagine. He loves belly rubs, just like my poor cat Blake that we lost last December. We also brought them a mouse the other day and I think he is going to be a good mouser. The gray tiger kitty was scared to death of the mouse, but she is a little lover. When you pet her she scrunches and scratches her claws to we named her Scratchy. The black one is like a big teddy bear so we named him Teddy.

They are settling in with our other 2 girls nicely. Although the girls hiss and growl at them a little it is usually only when the new kittens actually touch the others. They can be sleeping a foot apart and are all purring when you pet them. But when Teddy layed down right alongside Cimi last night she turned around and hissed when she realized who it was :roll:

So if anyone is thinking about adoption don't hesitate to check your local humane societies. People 62 or older can adopt adult pets from our humane society for free, older cats are $35 and kittens were $75 each or 2 for $100.
Attachments
Say Hi to "Teddy" who loves to sleep in the sink and loves belly rubs!
Say Hi to "Teddy" who loves to sleep in the sink and loves belly rubs!
teddy.jpg (24.51 KiB) Viewed 2430 times
Say HI to our new kitten "Scratchy"
Say HI to our new kitten "Scratchy"
scratchy.jpg (22.31 KiB) Viewed 2430 times
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Chris ,
They are both adorable and will be fine additions to your family. Bless you and Brian for adopting these two precious ones. :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Post by JaneG »

Oh how sweet!!! Talk about 'settling in', that Teddy sure didn't take long to make himself at home, did he?? :lol:
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
Snow

Post by Snow »

Cats are SO adaptable as long as they are well cared-for. Congratulations :)
~*Snow*~
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Brian,
Kudos to you and Brian.
You said you had them fixed. What was broke? :oops: :D :oops: :D I know, I know! That was really bad. :D :oops: :D :oops:
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Awwww, how cute! I like the black one.....and the other one, too! Sounds like your other cats aren't doing to back with the new ones! That's good! Give them a scratch from Lucy!

Thanks for sharing, Chris! :D
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

Awww, they are adorable! :D What a nice addition to your family. Scratchy looks like she is wearing eye liner. 8-)
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Awww Chris and Brian they are so cute! That is a great deal for getting a cat that is fixed and has shots etc! I'm so glad u brought them home so u can give them lots of lovin'.

Why did they live at the humane society so long?

Debbie

PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

Great pics Chris! :P They both look so sweet and the pic of Teddy in the sink is darling!
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Awwwwwwww, precious kitties! What fun! A house of fun actually! :) Congrats on the new family additions! :)
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Oh, they are adorable. I love the expression on Scratchy's face. Good for you, and I wish you a long and happy time with these two new additions.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Our friend Sue volunteers at the humane society and she told us that black cats are the hardest to adopt, that they almost never are able to find homes for them.

The people there described Scratchy (then named Phoenix) as a little "spitfire". Basically, she didn't make a very good first impression, but we didn't want to break the two of them up :)

We had to change their names right away because every time they heard their old names they would run and hide.

Scratchy sure is photogenic, isn't she? And she is settling down pretty good now.
Lionitus

Post by Lionitus »

Bless you Chris for giving these two sweet furkids a chance for a good, loving home.

My husband has been pining for a dog for years and we just bought three acres (not much but seems HUGE to us former city dwellers) and we're heading to the pound in a couple weeks to adopt two doggies who need a good home.

Your kitties have the look of gratitude. They are adorable and I wish them a long, happy life with you and your family.

Lionitus
pauhaus
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by pauhaus »

Congratulations Chris and Brian on your new additions. Way to go on spreading the word for supporting your local Humane Society and the great pets one can find there. :P
Paul
My Hosta List

“With fronds like you, who needs anemones.”
Annie

Post by Annie »

AWWW how cute!!!
The black one looks just like my Waz :D
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
jmboyer

Post by jmboyer »

Congratulations to you and Brian, Chris, upon adopting Scratchy and Teddy. Scratchy sure has pretty eyes and are you certain that's Teddy and not my Ebony in the sink? They sure look alike. I'm so glad you took them both and will keep them together. I know that will bring you much happiness.
impatience

Post by impatience »

Lady Jane and I wish you and your new kitties the best. We think a home is not complete without plenty of felines running around. :wink:
Gardening is the slowest of the performing arts.
patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

What handsome boys!! :)
Congratulations on the new additions. I hope that soon everyone will be getting on. It was so sweet of you not to break up the pair. :)
Bluecanoe

Post by Bluecanoe »

Oh Chris! They're adorable! I'm surprised to hear about black cats being hard to adopt, my daughter has 3 all black cats, she just loves them! I also have friends on SICC (Siamese International Cat Club) that go absolutely gaga over those all black Oriental short Hairs. Plus, I'm also a tad partial to black cats myself. Especially the ones with green eyes.. :cool: Actually they are both real stunners!

Sorry to hear about your loss in December, we lost our Flame Point Siamese Canoe in October at 13 1/2 years old with a rapid growing form of liver cancer. Just about tore our hearts out :cry:
Lynda (The Roving Siamese cat toy)
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

That Chris and Brian arfe TWO old softies aren't they ??

Post by oldcoot »

You made a good selection and I be that they will be under your feet a long time.....(Be careful, we don't have time for you to have a lost time accident)

John
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
New Topic Post Reply