Babies, babies, babies!

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

PeggyC

Babies, babies, babies!

Post by PeggyC »

:lol: At our friend's house yesterday. These two little fillies and one stud colt were TOO cute! The one little stud colt (the one on the right in the back) is worth $10,000 - $15,000!!! :o

"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
Lionitus

Post by Lionitus »

Oh my goodness! How beautiful they are. I've always loved horses but never have had the opportunity to keep one.

They are lovely animals. Started my day off right to see them. Thanks RockinC Peg!

Lionitus
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

Oh, they certainly are! :D Great pic. :cool: Thanks for sharing.
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

OH my! How :cool:

Even the wee ones are muscular looking! Gotta love those!
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
janet

Post by janet »

Looks just like a Bev Doolittle painting! Lots of color there...nothing like a variegated horse (equus 'Variegata') to catch your eye. :wink: :lol:
jd in nh
janet's list
It is well to remember that the entire universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others. --John Andrew Holmes
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

:cool: :cool: :cool: Pic, but I've stared at it to hard. I've got spots in front of my eyes now. :D :roll:
Variegated horses!?! :o :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

How beautiful they are!

Linda P

Post by Linda P »

What a great pic. We have a horse breeder-trainer just down the road a ways. He has a pasture full of babies right now, some of them Appies. I'd love to slow down and look at them when I go by, but it's right on Rt 30 and to slow down is to die.
DD's friends just bought 4 paint horses from a guy who was going through a divorce and couldn't keep them. They're going to be close by, so perhaps I'll get to go and visit them this summer. We haven't had a horse since our old Appie Venus went to live with someone who took good care of her in her declining years. We didn't have the room here, with the darn cows taking up every available nook and cranny. DH thinks horses are 'hayburners', so once she was no longer ridable (vision problems) and the kids were gone, she needed a new home. In her last years, she was a therapy horse for handicapped folks, and I thought that was a good way to end a long and wonderful life. She was 28 when she died.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

Linda, that's a wonderful story about your appie, Venus. We have some friends who have hogs and they call our horses "hayburners" too! :lol:
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

I always wanted a horse. Just never had the $$ or the space for one. Nor the know-how to care for one. Those are beautiful. If you wouldnt mind educating me.....what is it about the wee little one that makes his worth so much?

They are wonderful-smart animals. My niece has 5. One of them used to poop daily in her water in her stall at the first barn they were boarded at.She quit doing that when they moved her to another barn. Cheyenne (the horse) had better sense of the people then my niece. :wink:
Justaysam

Post by Justaysam »

Cool picture, Peg, thanks. I showed to my DD, she asked why is the horse worth so much? I said prob. because he can make pretty babies. Am I close?
jmboyer

Post by jmboyer »

What a nice photo, Peg. They are truly beautiful horses, and those ponies are adorable.
PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

These paint horses are bred for working cows. Linda, you are close. The baby is worth so much because dad is a working cutting/reining champion and mom also comes from a line of good working horses. All of dad's offspring so far have been great horses also and made money. The genetics assume that this baby is also going to be a great horse.

Another reason for a baby being worth a lot of money... Our neighbor bred Belgium draft horses but was getting out of it. One of his babies was the last of a breeding line and Mom had cancer and was going to be put down as soon as the baby was weened. At six weeks old, the baby had already been sold for $20,000. :o

These prices for babies are hard for me to imagine (we couldn't afford it) but I know people pay them.

PeggyC's Hosta List
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

I missed this post earlier. They are beautiful paints! I have always been partial to them since I had a red paint and my grandfather a black paint. I love to see the little ones in the pasture running here and there and kicking up their heels!
(as long as DH isn't behind them to get kicked again anyway! :lol: :lol: )

Ginger
New Topic Post Reply