Foal Watch

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

Lionitus

Post by Lionitus »

Oh, I'm so, so sorry. My condolences to you and your family. I hope the mommy recovers ok.
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Oh NO! :cry:

{{hugs}} to you both and Poco too. How is she doing? Poor thing............ Do you know why?

Has she ever foaled (is that a word?) before, or was this her first?

Didn't you just get her recently? Did they know she with foal then?

So sad............
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

Jane, Poco seems to be doing fine. It was very sad last night as she kept nudging the foal and licking it. :cry: This was her first baby and she's only three so a lot of time to breed her again. She was sold to us as "unbred" in February so the pregnancy was a big surprise to us.

We talked to our friends who breed paints and they said their horse vet (all he does is horses) told them that this was a bad year in this area for foals, that a lot of them were stillborn and also said their neighbor behind them lost three foals this spring.

The vet will be coming out today to look over the mare and check the baby and placenta. I doubt we will get any answers... :(
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
janey

Post by janey »

Oh, Peg~

I am so sorry. I haven't posted in weeks but I check in every day to follow things at the Forum, and I was so looking forward to hearing good news about Poco and her babe....So sad.

I hope she is doing fine, and will soon be healthy and think about being a Mom again.

Wishes to you and your husband that the pain of loss soon eases~

j~
goldenmom

Post by goldenmom »

((Peg)) I am so, so very sorry. :cry: I hope Poco continues to do well. Hugs to DH, too.
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Man, that would be hard not getting answers I guess. As much as if it were a little human lost, without answers. I hope you get a good prognosis on Poco from the vet and she does well after all this. Always wish we 'could talk to the animals' in these situations. So sad........my heart goes out to you all. {{hugs}}

I know absolutely nothing about horses, so I'd never heard of a 'bad year' for foaling..... I wonder what causes that. Seems someone would know. :(
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

OMG, Peg!! I can not believe it!! How sad!!! I also hope you get an explaination for why it could have happened......The heat we have had? Or maybe something with the cord?? Oh man, this makes me so sad... :( ...Give DH huggs from us.....Going to go call DH now at work to tell him..... :( Please post after the vet leaves....

(((((Peg & DH)))))
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

Oh Peg :cry:

I am so sorry too. Sending lots of ((((hugs)))) to you and DH and Poco.

Alexa
patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

Awwwwwwww shoot! That's such sad news. I'm so sorry. Please tell your DH that we're all feeling badly for him.
I hope Poco came through it all okay.
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Ohhh...how very sad. :( I'm so sorry, Peg, for the loss of the foal. I also don't know much about horses and didn't know there could be a 'bad year for foals'. I hope Poco will be okay and able to breed again, if you so desire. My condolences to you and your DH. :(
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
~dirtbug~

Post by ~dirtbug~ »

oh thats horrible. im really sorry to hear the loss of the foal. what can you say at these times. my sincere sympathys to all of u.
:(
dirtbug
:(
~feral flowers family~
cheyenne 14yrs
indianna 10 yrs
chance 9 yrs
kelsey 6 yrs
janet

Post by janet »

Peg, I'm so very sorry for your loss. My thoughts are with you and DH at this time, and I, too, am hoping for the best at the vet check. You all deserve some extra grain...solid or liquid, your choice. :wink:
jd in nh
janet's list
It is well to remember that the entire universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others. --John Andrew Holmes
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

Oh Peg, I'm so sorry! :cry: It's just heartbreaking. I'm glad that Poco is doing well. I hope you will get some kind of explanation from the vet. (((((Peg, DH & Poco)))))
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
Kas

Post by Kas »

Oh, Peg. I am so sorry to hear this. Definately not the post I was expecting to see. I was thinking it was taking too long after she started showing signs. My heart goes out to you and your hubby. Big hug coming your way.

Kas
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; and inside a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
Hosta12_Ia

Post by Hosta12_Ia »

Peggy, I am soooo sorry. How sad for both of you...(((HUGS))) for you and hubby. Hope Poco does well.
:bawl:
Jo
The Garden is a Mirror of the Heart
mamaw2

Post by mamaw2 »

So sorry for your loss. Daughter and I have been following this thread daily. Sure hope mama checks out fine. My prayers are with you all.
Anita
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

Awww, I'm so sorry. It was so exciting to have this 'unexpected' pregnancy, what a sad ending. I feel badly for your DH, take extra special care of both him and Poco for a few days.

Let us know what the vet suspects happened.
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Aw, Peg, I'm sorry to hear about the baby. I hope the vet will have some answers for you, but I know that they often aren't able to trace it to any one thing.
Hugs to you and your DH.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

Well, I actually did get an answer from the vet who left about 12:15. She said from looking at the baby and my description she thinks the baby bled out through its umbilical cord before it was ever born. :( And said the mare is doing just fine and no problems with her. Thank goodness, that is such a relief.

My DH is so grieving that he is not coping with any of this. Poor guy, I really feel bad for him. I did talk to him (he's at work) after the vet left and he sounded better once he knew the mare was okay.

Vet also said its a mixed blessing because Poco is really too young to have a baby and would stop growing while she was nursing and give all her energy to milk production so that is the one plus in all of this.
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
Lionitus

Post by Lionitus »

I'm so happy to hear Poco is going to be ok. I guess this is a blessing in disguise as far as Poco is concerned. I hope your husband feels better soon too. ((((((Everyone at RockinC Peg's house - human and animal)))))) Big sigh.
New Topic Post Reply