Big Bad Storms....

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

mamawsdaughter

Big Bad Storms....

Post by mamawsdaughter »

scare my poor maverick dean....I have never had a dog that has been so scared of storms as he is...he shakes and pants so bad sometimes I think he might have a stroke...he won't leave my side for anything either...I baby him during the storms, because of this...he won't even do anywhere near the door or windows when there is a storm...today it was suppose to start raining mid-afternoon, so I took him with me to my moms...of course it didn't rain then...(it's coming though)...I took him, because I didn't want to leave him by himself and outside during it....am I a good mommy for taking him with me and babyng him during a storm or should I just let him be and face his fears?

mamawsdaughter
jmboyer

Post by jmboyer »

Yes, you are a good Mommy or you wouldn't be concerned enough to be asking these questions. A fear of storms is common among dogs, especially among the herding dogs (although others are affected by this fear, too). With their keen sense of hearing, dogs can hear the sounds of an approaching storm long before humans can. They also respond to atmospheric changes in pressure as well as to electrical charges in the air. The fear is real and often devastating for the dog. Leaving a storm-phobic dog alone is not a good idea if it can be avoided. Dogs have been known to jump through plate glass windows, rip apart home furnishings, and chew through wooden doors while in a state of storm terror, often hurting themselves in the process.

Animal behaviorists and researchers do not know why this phenomenon occurs, but they think it may have genetic origins, since herding dogs seem to be affected the most. As I said, that does not rule out other breeds suffering from this phobia, as being left outside during a severe storm as a pup is a prime cause of the condition.

Behavior modification is possible, but it takes much time, patience, and kindness. I, myself, have not been entirely successful in my effort. It is generally agreed upon that "pitying" the dog or speaking to the dog in that tone will only make the condition worse. It is better to address the dog in an upbeat and cheerful tone so that you are not reinforcing the fearful behavior. Offering treats for calm behavior is also helpful in behavior modification. Providing a comfortable, darkened place for the dog to retreat (another room or a crate) is often suggested, as long as the dog can come and go from the area as he pleases. However, do not lock the dog in such an area. That will only make the problem worse.

If your Maverick is like my Chelsea, however, he will not leave your side. Chelsea, an Australian Shepherd/Border Collie mix, suffers terribly from this condition, and I am constantly trying to find new ways to help her through this terror. My Blondie, a peekapoo, is not at all affected by storms and seems hardly to notice them. Chelsea, however, becomes a trembling 70-pound mass, and it tears my heart out to see it. I've tried playing games with her, playing music, talking to her calmly and cheerfully, and although I see a very slight improvement, she is still afraid of storms. I keep reading about it and hoping I will stumble onto something that will finally work, as as of yet, I have not.

One researcher suggests very softly playing storms sounds in the background occasionally, believing this will help the dog get used to it. I have my doubts about that because the method does not incorporate the atmospheric changes in pressure and electrical charges in the air that are powerful stimuli to a dog suffering from this condition.

I personally wish you well in your effort to help Maverick. Give lots of love and kindness in a cheerful tone, and hope for the best. As always, there are medications your vet can provide. So that is always an option for you.
PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

I think storm terror is very common. We have a Norwegian Elkhound (this breed was bred to hunt moose) who is as independent as you please, sometimes trying my patience because of her nature, and she also becomes a wreck at the first sign of a storm. We've tried everything we know, but nothing has helped. I know PeggyB has a hunting dog, a Vizsla (sp) who is terrified of storms as we often commiserate about not being able to console these poor dogs. She talked about getting medication to calm her poor Annie during storms but I don't know if she, in fact, did.
Last edited by PeggyC on Jun 05, 2005 9:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

I know it helped with the one of mine that is fearful to talk in an upbeat way. I think as with children sometimes, they feel our fear. With childcare when we had tornado warnings, we had to have a 'safe place' in which to wait it out of course. We'd talk about how every bang made more rain and woke up seeds to grow, or plants to get larger or produce flowers. The kids seemed calmed by it and the dog was better when snuggled in with the kids! We all sat in a hallway with pillows, blankets and all the supplies we needed. I think it helped the dog that had problems, be/c we were upbeat and not fearful b/c we didn't want to put that on the kids. Just a thought.

Then had a BIL who's family dog would run away every time a really bad storm headed their way. He'd be gone for hours ahead and after and come home fine. Strange.
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
mamawsdaughter

Post by mamawsdaughter »

Thank you all for the advice...I am not sure my dog is a hunting breed being Husky/Samoyan mix...all I know is that he is deathly terrified of storms...next time it storms though I will try keeping it upbeat and happy (hard for me sometimes, since I am scared of storms as well)...but I will give a good try....I will let you all know if there is any progress made with his fear of storms...

mamawsdaughter
outtahand

Post by outtahand »

I have a 14 yr old Yorkie, from day one, she would go out
in any kind of weather, thunder and lightning crashing all
around, rain pouring on her head... what a trooper. She never
flinched at the loudest crash of thunder.
When she was about 8, I was home watching TV when a T-storm
started. Bailey kept wanting to go out, but would run back in
as soon as she got outside. Started trembling horribly,
running back and forth from the couch to the door,
then refused to go back outside. Wound up having diarrhea
all across the couch.
Ever since that day, she has been terrified of storms. I dont
know what changed it, but as soon as thunder starts, she is
velcro dog against me.
~*jim*~

You CAN change fate.
Destiny doesnt care about the pattern,
as long as the result is the same.
Jim's Hosta List
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Might have been she got a light jolt being too close to a tree or something when lightening hit and after that, was afraid? Something must have happened that day to cause that extreme of behavior! Too bad. Poor pup!
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

Two of my boxers are scared to death of thunder and lighting and I think it is because of the May 3 1999 Tornado's that devistated OKC. Although we did not get any tornado's out my way (I live apx 15 miles east of OKC) we got a lot of thunder and lightning and both myself and DH were anxious and I think that tranmitted to the dogs. They were both only about 2 years old then.
If it storms they are both in their "safe place" under our bed! I hate it when it storms and DH and I are not home so they have to weather it outside in their doghouse.
Doc on the other hand is not afraid, and surprisingly they others have not transferred their fear to him (yet) He was not born yet when they tornado's came through and the thunder makes him look up and check out the front door, but he does not seem afraid, just curious.

G

G
hostaanita
USDA Zone: 6

Post by hostaanita »

Dog's amaze me with there keen sense of approaching storms. :o :o

Our son's god Maverick , is a Golden Retreiver and he's terrrifie of thunder and lightning storms . He tembles and crys . Always been that way poor little fellow!!
    Making our world beautiful , one backyard at a time.
    Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Not always, but more often that not, this is a genetic issue. The worst thing you can do is try and comfort the dog while the storm is going on. All that does is reenforce the behaviour. If it is a "created" situation, the dog can be desensitized with TONS of work. If it is genetic issue, it's rarely fixed.
    New Topic Post Reply