Polly n Pete

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

Old earth dog

Polly n Pete

Post by Old earth dog »

This is my 11 yr old Border Terrier Polly. She's my second Border. They are one of the most popular breeds in England. Not really seen here a lot unless your involved with them. Without a doubt, they are the easiest terrier to get along in a multiple dog house. Sure can't say the same for my JRT, Pete. He's a monster, even for a JRT. JRTs as a breed are great dogs, but Pete's a little unstable, to say the least. Thank heavens my GSD, Thunder, is so tolerant (scared :roll: ) of Pete or Pete would be a gonner. The pic of Polly and Pete is a few years old. Polly's was taken today.
Attachments
Polly 9yrs old     Pete 6yrs old.jpg
Polly on the back steps.jpg
jmboyer

Post by jmboyer »

OED....I have to laugh when you talk about Pete being a little unstable. I never know exactly what you mean. But the photos are great. Pete and Polly look very peaceful sitting side by side. But that first photo of Polly is a heartgrabber. She looks like a sweet little waif that needs to be scooped up and gently hugged. Thanks for sharing.
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

By unstable, I mean he's tempermentally unsound. He's what the Schutzhund folks would refer to as a very "sharp" dog, and not very clear headed. In otherwords, he overeacts to stimulation with an aggressive responsive. I can't totally trust him with the gkids,even though he knows they are cookie machines. If he's handled to roughly, even by me, he turns into a snarly little beast. It's not aggression, it's stress. He could easily be a fear biter. This isn't normal JRT temperment.
Polly is just as you describe. A sweet little waif, that lives to be cuddled. Course, I'm to manly to snuggle with a wonderful, lovable, little......errrrr....... I mean a scroungy little dog like Polly. :D :wink:
She's also a BIG reason I could never have a cat. The Borders are the classic Jeckel and Hyde dog. Absolutely lovable with anything cept critters. If the cat was here first, she'd accept THAT cat, but the rest would probably be in grave danger. At 16lbs, that sweet little furface has single handedly killed a 19lb coon in the back yard.
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

OED, Polly is cute. Too bad about Pete.

jmboyer

Post by jmboyer »

OED.... :lol:

Ahh, you almost blew your cover. I'll bet you've given Polly more than one cuddle.

And what you said about Pete is fascinating. And, yet....you've kept him all this time in spite of his problems and have given him a good home. I think there is a teddy-bear heart inside that manly man. :D :wink:
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

:oops: :D :oops: Nawww! Polly cringes at the mear mention of my name. I've hung onto Pete cause he's a great little hunting dog. If they can't be useful, I kickem to the curb. :D :D :wink:

Old pic with me, Rags (Border), Polly (Border) Grizzly (Norwich), and Pete as a pup. I was giving them all a good a$$ kicking, but they pinned me in the chair. :D :D :D :wink:
Attachments
BobandDogs.jpg
BobandDogs.jpg (16.87 KiB) Viewed 2470 times
Blackkat

Post by Blackkat »

I have heard of such brutality, but to actually witness it is almost too much to bear. :o :lol:

You all fit that chair nicely. So cute! The dogs are cute, too... :wink:
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

We always knew you were an old softie, OED! :lol: Great pics! :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

Geez OED I had no idea we were dealing with with such a brut. Just look at yourself abusing those poor babies. :lol: Looks like theyre afraid of the floor. :lol:

Annie
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Annie »

OED :lol: ya old meanie LOL.
I bet you don't cuddle your dogs :wink:
I sure can tell you keep them JUST for hunting :lol: :o
Nope no spoiling on your part!
I LOVE them both!!!
That first dogs face is just to cute! Look how round it is LOL.

I think I would really like Pete, I like dogs that have personality :D
His face looks almost like Travis, at least by the pic it is.
Ya need to get a face pic of him so we can see his cute lil face too!!!
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

:P Awwww, what sweet pictures OED! :lol: I'm tellin ya, those dogs look mighty abused! :lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks for the smile this morning!
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Hey, OED, thanks for the pic of Polly. She looks like a sweetheart. I'm sure glad you don't spoil your dogs. Nothing worse than a spoiled dog. I can see in the pic of you with the dogs on your lap, that Rags has your arm captive, so you woudln't have a chance of getting out of that chair alive until they were ready to let you go. :lol:
I love Jack Russells, but I know I don't have the energy to keep one. I don't know of a better home for a JR with a scattered brain than with someone who understands the dog mind the way you do.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Real quick before I am LATE going to work...... :roll:

I loved your pic's Bro.....and It made me smile!! :D :D
patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

Polly's picture is so cute! What a great expression. :lol:
It's a shame about Pete's addle-brain. I'm sure if anybody could change his behavior it would be you. Thank goodness for him that he landed in your home.

I love that picture of you being held captive by your canine kids! :lol:
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

All sweet! But that is scary to have a dog that cant' be trusted around little kids. Nothing worse than the fear of short kids and dogs that are unstable :( Do you have to separate them when the kids are there?
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

Great pics! :cool: Polly looks so sweet. :D Pete looks like a perfect gentleman in the pic. :wink:

I can tell that the dogs are "frozen in terror" in that last pic. :lol:
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

Yeah OED youve got those dogs running scared! I can see they were too petrified to move :lol: :lol:
Kinda like my dogs! When I get up in the morning they are so scared they can't get down from the couch, chair, bed... :D
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Jane, I don't separate them when the gkids are here. All my gkids are very "doggy" for lack of a better word. they know when and how to give Pete hugs without trippin his trigger. Always supervised though. Course the youngest is 6months old now, so the training begins all over again. He really is good with the kids when they respect his space. With strange kids in the house, he's definatelly put up. "Strange kids" ? :hmm: He((, all my gkids are strange. :D :wink:
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

:lol: Are you saying they don't fall from the tree there? :lol:

I just wondered. I have one dog, that I knew from her temperament, that I wouldn't trust her too well around wee ones as she got older, but she's nearly 14 now and still does very well around little ones. Although I wouldn't trust her alone with them playing. Too easily hurt at this age, and afraid of that temperament. The other, I've never had that worry with.
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
jmboyer

Post by jmboyer »

Hmmmm....interesting....has anyone noticed that Bob is one f-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-ine looking man? :o :oops: :D

He's going to kill me for this.
New Topic Post Reply