Houdini dog

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

mamaw2

Houdini dog

Post by mamaw2 »

This is what we call my 9 year old Black Pom. She likes to climb fences-chain link being her specialty. She finds more ways to get out of the fenced in backyard than I can imagine. I have chicken wire around the entire backyard all folded over at the top to form a shelf that she can't 'reach' over. Since Memorial Day weekend she's been getting out again regularly and I couldn't find where so I was chaining her up, which I absolutely hate doing. Came home from work Friday to find her chain hooked around the top of the gate(figured she climbed out and someone put her back in but didn't get all the chain back in). Saturday daughter and I worked on the gate to secure it again. Went to church and then daughters for lunch yesterday and guess what she was out when I got home-little tuffs of hair at corner of gate gave her away. So I've been out this morning 'reworking' the gate again. Hopefully got it this time. Have to go to work later so we'll see. You'd think that after having her almost 8 years that we'd have this figured out. I'm thinking I should have bought stock in a chicken wire company years ago. Anyway wish me luck that I've got it fixed this time.
Anita
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

If you don't have little ones in the yard, put up some hot wire, either at the bottom of the fence, or at the top whichever you think would be most effective. Let her hit it once, and she will stay away, and you can even turn it off and she won't go near it. That is the only way I can keep my boxers from digging out of the yard. It is not expensive and easy to run.

Ginger
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Oh my! A fence climbing dog? :lol: I shouldn't laugh but it is funny! Hope u have the gate fixed up now.

mamawsdaughter

Post by mamawsdaughter »

I hope it worked mom....I know you hate chaining her up....I think you should have bought stock in chicken wire....lol...heaven knows you have used a lot of it....my arms are still scratched up...but if you need my help again, just let me know...don't want houdini to end up in puppy jail...

mamawsdaughter
mamaw2

Post by mamaw2 »

Day 1-She was in the yard when I got home from work last night. I am hopeful. Only time will tell now. She really is a very loving dog, loves her toys and she is very good with the granddaughters. When they were babies she would hear them before I would and come and get me to go get them. Her previous owners had let her run so I just inherited the problem. It is really funny watching her climb the fences and she's pretty quick about it. I've thought several times of running a hotwire but now with the grand-daughters around and now I live in a neighborhood with children I'd be leery. Anyway at this time I am hopeful that I've found this escape route and plugged it. Until next time....LOL
Anita
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

Good luck! Those little Poms are really resourceful!

Ginger
PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

Houdini! :lol: I'm so glad to hear that you've managed to at least temporarily keep your Pom in the yard! :P I wish you continued good luck. The story itself is amusing but I can well imagine that as the owner of the Pom, this has to be extremely frustrating for you.
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
mamaw2

Post by mamaw2 »

Frustrating? Oh Yah!!!! She's black and she typically gets out at night and we live on a busy street. I've had a few sleepless nights worrying. I used to be able to get in the car and drive around until I saw her and then could coax her in with a 'Let's go bye-bye' call, but even that doesn't work anymore. Over Memorial Day weekend she got out and pinned a possum with babies on her back under my car in the driveway. I was really afraid she'd get to her and get the tar beat out of her as well as the rabies risk(Tasha has had her shots). Anyway-day 2 and she was in again last night when I got home from work. Yeah!
Anita
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

The 'hot wire' on the fence works great. It gives a fair wack but does not physically harm the dog. When my son was 2, I had to put one on the front window for a dog that would go crazy when birds landed on the feeder. The dog learned after 2 times. DS had to touch it every morning just to see if it was on. :roll:
jmboyer

Post by jmboyer »

I can't believe I missed this post. Anita, What a funny image I get of a little Pom scaling a fence. And I thought my Blondie was an escape artist. I'm glad you got the problem resolved. How about a photo of your little girl? I'd love to see her.
New Topic Post Reply