OED or anyone else...Lakeland Terrier problems

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

Tundra_Queen

OED or anyone else...Lakeland Terrier problems

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Hi
A nurse that visits me is having trouble with her 7 month old male Lakeland Terrier and needs some help.

When they first got the puppy he was adorable and quiet, well behaved.

Now she says he has changed persoanlities. She says he loves playing with the kids, about 10 years old. But when the kids run he now nips at their heels and is also barking. He isn't nipping to be mean, he does it because he gets excited and wants to play.

He is not fixed yet and she said that is the next thing to do.

Her youngest daughter is absolutely frightened of dogs and since the dog has started nipping she is really scared.

She does put a muzzle on him now when he is out with the kids but thinks that is cruel to do to him. But she is at the point where she is thinking about giving him away because his personality has changed so much.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Debbie

Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

The muzzle is doing nothing more then allowing the dog to continue the problem. It will only continue to get worse by doing that.
The dog is going into prey drive (chase a moving object). That's perfectly normal, especially with a terrier. Unfortunately, the dogs point of focus is entirely unexceptable. The dog needs to be kept on a leash until this stops. I normally go the motivational way with training, but when kids are involved, I have no problem putting a correction on the dog. It can't be allowed at ANY time. When the dog attempts to chase the kids, it immediately get a good leash correction.
Another method.
I broke a nasty little cocker of this habit of chasing the kids in it's family by running across it's yard with a plastic wiffle ball bat carried on my shoulder. Ok, I'm a big meany, but if it keeps #!, the kids from getting hurt, #2, It keeps the dog from having to be gotten rid of, or worse, I'll correct the snot outa the dog. As the dog ran after me, I never said a word, never slowed down, never even acknowledged the dog and I swung the bat behind me and caught the dog across the side with the plastic bat as it reached for my ankel. It took about 2-3 lessons on me, then I had the kids (12 and 14) do the same. Sting, hell yes! Hurt the dog, not at all. The reason I never slowed down, acknowledged the dog, etc was because I wanted the dog to think it's action brought about the consequence. NOT the person. Now! I have to say, this requires a bit of timming and dexterity. Also, a Lakeland is a small (15lb), fast, quick dog. If it isn't done correctly at first, it may create more problems. You also have to adjust the swing to the size of the dog. It has to be effective or you just create more problems. Your also not trying to hit a home run with a small dog. :eek:
A few other suggestions. Ideally, you don't want to do this initally with the kids. You don't wan't them getting bit. Does the dog like water? Set it up with someone close by with a water hose. doen't even let the dog get close. IIMMEDIATELY as it starts the chase, let it have the hose full blast. If it really dislikes water, have the person running, carrying a spray bottle with it set on "stream". This could be enough to discourage it from chasing anyone. It also keeps the dog from becomming wise to the hose. No hose! :idea: :D , the chase is on. Once it gets the idea, you have to reenforce it with as many people as you can sucker in..........er.....convince to run across the yard.
At 7 months old, a male dog is just starting to feel the testosterone kicking in. This can easily become a dominance issue if they dont get a handle on it. A dominant little terrier can be more than most want to handle (course I love the brassy little bas+ard$ :D :roll:)
If there is any type of obedienc classes in the area, I would definately suggest investing in the time spent on getting the dog under control.
The TV show "The Dog Wisperer" tells the owners to tsake the dog on LOTS of long walks. GREAT idea. A tired dog is easier to control.
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Thanks OED. I had mentioned to her maybe if the kids carry water guns, but then I thought maybe this might get the dog snapping even more.

Apparently he has always played with the kids outside, but it has just been in the last month or two he has started the snapping, the owner thought maybe the dog was trying to stop them by pulling on their pants.

I was also going to tell her to not allow the dog outside with the kids, but the kids and the dog really love each other.

I will print this out and show her.

Thank you so much, I know she doesn't want to get rid of the dog, but can't understand why his personality changed so much.

No, we don't have obedience sp training up here. *sigh*
Debbie

jay dee

Lakeland

Post by jay dee »

I agree the dog is just doing what is natural and is his idea of play. He really wants to play tug of war!

There is a liquid product called Bitter Apple at most pet stores, that is very bitter. It is used to keep the dog from chewing on something that shouldn't be chewed on. Dilute this about 1-10, put into a spray bottle, set the sprayer to stream, and squirt the dog in the face when he does this. He will immediately quit and after a few applications like this. just pointing a spray bottle at him will get the results.

jay dee
r_leblanc

puppy corrections

Post by r_leblanc »

Hi,I don't know how some of you feel about method of correction but I use Electronic shocking collars on all my training.I use the Sportsman plus by Tritonics.To me it is the greatest invention for us dog trainers.It is more humane than some of the older methods that have been used.Anyone who uses these collars must first learn how to use them.What one has to do is put collar on dog & start at #1 then slowly move up the voltage scale as they tap the dog with current,each dog has it's own tolerance to this minor pain.When the dog turns his head,you back off 1 scale.You have reached it's tolerance.Now,for any unwanted trait of your dog,you have to tickle him at the exact moment he is going to commit unwanted behaviour.Not befor or after.This training tool quickly stops bad behaviour better than any other method.The collar also has a buzzar that the dog can hear,my collars reach up to 2 miles,that he or she will soon associate with complementing good behaviour.When the dog feels this electrical surge,he imediately associates this with the action he has just done & will quickly avoid this unpleasantness.The only time I use higher voltage is in a bad situation such as a bad dog fight or attack on a human.The collar is capable of stopping the dog in his tracks & with no after effects or wounds.So this is a good method of stopping any bad behaviour almost immediately.It is a lasting cure also.It is great that even at 2 miles I can reach out & tap him gently when it is needed....Ron
Ron G. LeBlanc
New Topic Post Reply