housebreaking breaking me!!!

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

Annie
USDA Zone: 5

housebreaking breaking me!!!

Post by Annie »

I have NEVER had problems housebreaking a pup before.
I am having trouble with Travis :(
Sometimes he will scratch at the door and other times, just like a few min. ago he will come right up beside me and pee . Most of the time he don't go on the floor. I let him out every half hour when I'm home. But he acts like he don't get it. He knows enough to go when I have him out.
Once in a while he will go to the door but mostly not, I just guess when he should have to go!

I do have to say it's almost always near the door. So maybe I'm not keeping a close enough eye on him.
I keep him in a crate while I'm gone or busy, but when I'm home I leave him out. Watching him of course.

Could it be cause he is a JRT? Man he is hyper as all get out :lol:

Oed, remember if you asked me if I had any hair left??
:-?
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
Annie

Post by Annie »

Here is the little monster now :lol:
He is losing his puppy looks now. He is very handsome even if he is difficult :lol:
Attachments
travis facemgi.jpg
travis sidepicmgi.jpg
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Hang in there, Annie! My 'grandpuppy' is about to give my DD fits. There are 3 kids in the house, and they're always taking the puppy out of the kennel to play, and then they somehow forget to watch her. I stayed with my grandson tonight for a while, and he forgot to take the puppy outside, and he let her run loose in the house. Oops! The kids (and DD too, for that matter) seem to give in the minute Roxie whines a bit in her kennel, and they let her out. Better to have a dog whining in the kennel (you can teach them to stop that behavior, too!) than to have to give up the dog because you can't get it house trained.
My sister, who is a vet tech and who seems to be part canine herself, has always said to kennel or leash the puppy at ALL times until the training is complete. She has trained numberous dogs this way, and has had few problems. That's what I did with my dog, and it only took a couple of weeks before she was letting me know when she had to go out. I know absolutely nothing about JRTs, though, other than that they are as a rule really smart! What do you think, OED, can you help this poor woman out?
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Nope! It's not a breed issue, it's a training issue. I agree with Linda. When the dog is out of it's crate, in the house, under NO circumstances do you let it run free. Put it on a lead and tie the lead to your belt, etc. Every mistake Travis makes, just teaches him that he can. If he came up and peed right next to you, he's telling you that you missed his signal. It may be very slight at this point, but I'll bet it's there if he came and told you what he wanted. I would take the pup out every 20 mins at this age. EVERY time it eats. EVERY time it wakes up. EVERY time you finish playing with it. EVERY time it finishes playing with your other dog. Not hard to do........if you have no other life. :lol: :wink:
Work on a "speak" command at the door as a completely separate issue, THEN put the two together. You could also teach him to ring a bell or whatever you want. ANY training should be broken down into as many parts as you can. Since Travis seems to understand, it's fare to act upset with him, but ONLY if you catch him in the act. If it's 5 seconds after he does it, ther will be no understanding why he's being corrected. Lots of people will disagree with me on this and say "Oh he knows he did wrong"! but it's you body language that's telling him your pi$$ed of. Dogs respond and learn faster by you actions then they do your commands.
:D :D :D :D :D JEEEZE! I shouldn't be enjoying this so much. :D :D :D :D :wink:
By the way. He's looking fantastic!! :wink:
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

Oh Annie, he surely is growing up to be a handsome fellow. :D

Don't be discouraged! Our dachshund, Liesel, was five years old when we got her and housebroke her. Travis can do it!
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
jmboyer

Post by jmboyer »

Pat is right. Travis is a really handsome fellow and seems to be getting better looking with every day that passes. The most amazing thing about dogs is that they want only to please us. That is why it is possible to train them. They will learn to do just about anything for a bright "Good Boy!" and a pat on the head.
Annie

Post by Annie »

OED, so happy your liking this :lol:

I think if it were just me he would get housebroken. But alas I have a hubby who sees things differently.

He lets him run the whole house and don't watch him (when Im gone).
This has been going on for some time now. When ever I'm home I can get to get Travis to go outside, except for those 2 time I missed him asking (I'm sure he did, but I just didn't see him).
So now I just need help explaining this to my hubby! LOL.

Today for example, I had to work, hubby didn't. I get home and he told me Travis went potty in the bathroom. He thinks he only has to put him in the kennel when he is outside, not when he is napping or doing something else where he cant see the pup!
We have had a few tiffs over this whole thing :???:
Really Travis isn't doing bad for the confusion between me and the hubby.

He also did this with Wilma but she did get housebroken, and very well too.

So any suggestions on how to explain all this to my hubby??? :lol: He didn't come with training instructions :lol:

~~Annie~~
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

:hmm: :D I'm afraid training tips for your DH are gonna have to come from the ladies here. I stil cant get my DW to explain how she makes me do stuff I don't wanna do and we're still buddies. :lol: :wink:
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Oh Annie, he is adorable!! I always did the kennel thing to train, too....Sorry about your DH not helping matters....Just have him read OED's post, or print it for him....

Anyway, good luck....give Travis a pat for me! :D
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

:eek: Oh sure sis! Have her blame it on that crazy old bas+^rd on the flower forum. :roll: :lol: :lol: :wink:
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Hey, you can also blame some of it on me and my sister. We're used to taking the blame for everything....we had 6 brothers. Seriously, that is the issue with Roxie, too. Consistency is the key, and it's hard to be consistent when you don't agree on the method of training. The thing is, with a smart dog, as Travis obviously is!!!, it only takes a short time. Another thing that some people don't understand is that dogs are 'denning' animals. Once they are used to being in the kennel, they really don't mind it. My sheltie slept in her kennel until she could no longer fit in it, and I put it away and got her a bed. She would squirrel herself around in there and find a way to get her backend in and sleep with the front half of her body hanging out the door. She was upset for a while when I took it away.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
janet

Post by janet »

Would your DH understand better if you compared it to raising kids? You know, the bit about the parents have to present a united front, agree on the rules, etc in order to get the kids to brush their teeth, eat their veggies, drive safely, whatever. If Mom says 'be home at midnight' and Dad says 'be home by dawn', the kid won't learn the rules. Same thing with dogs. The grown-ups have to agree on the rules (and stick to them) in order for them to mean anything. If a rule is only a rule half the time, well, 'you know what' happens! :lol:
jd in nh
janet's list
It is well to remember that the entire universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others. --John Andrew Holmes
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

:lol: :lol: OED!! It worked for me though! My DH disagreed with me on Doc and his not sitting except when he got treats. DH kept saying he dosn't know sit except for treats, but when I printed and showed him OED's response that Doc was pulling one over on us, and explained about OED's background etc, he agreed! Doc is doing much better now!

Ginger
New Topic Post Reply