Emmitt Passed Away

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

Lionitus

Emmitt Passed Away

Post by Lionitus »

I hate to bring bad news yet again, but when my husband and I awoke this morning we found that our poor little Emmitt had passed away during the night on our kitchen floor. We knelt down and stroked his fur and told him we loved him and wrapped him in a towel. We're taking him to the vet's office in an hour or so. This was the saddest thing I've ever seen. I've never had this happen before in the 40+ years I've had animals and it was terribly traumatic for us all.

We'd been caring for him and trying to make him well for about a year. But the effects of near starvation just ravaged his poor little body and he never did recover fully. We had just been to the vet with him and he assured us we were doing as much as we could for him. My husband is taking this very, very hard. He rescued Emmy while we were separated by his job and so he and Emmy were very close. Emmy kept my husband from being lonely for 7 months while we lived three states apart from each other.

Please say a prayer for Emmy. If God is what we believe him to be then there just has to be a place for a creature like Emmy. He suffered so much in his life that anything but peace is unthinkable. There just has to be a place in heaven for him. He was such a sweet boy and he wanted desperately to be loved. He was treated very poorly until we rescued him. I hope and pray he knew we loved him and felt at least a little happiness before he passed. I'm so heartbroken over him. We've had a rough couple months in our house with the loss of three pets since March.

Thank You,
Lionitus
PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

I'm so, so sorry to hear of Emmy's death. I can't imagine your grief in losing three pets since March. :cry: I also think that Emmy went over the Rainbow Bridge to his special place in heaven. My thoughts and prayers are being sent to you.
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
flowerchild59

Post by flowerchild59 »

I am so sad to hear of this, but what a wonderful place for him to have been with you in his final months.
On the keyboard of life always keep one finger on the escape key.
Cheryl
My Hosta List
Snow

Post by Snow »

I think his time with you was true heaven for him - he had to be a very content little guy. I'm so sorry, Lionitus. I really am - I know that had to be a terrible shock for you, and so very heartbreaking. I'm sure he's somewhere safe now, and his pain is all gone. ((((((Emmitt)))))
~*Snow*~
putnamgardens

Post by putnamgardens »

Oh my...finding your loving pet already departed must be a terrible memory. I hope you will be comforted by your fond memories of Emmy. Let yourself grieve. Time will heal. It will take some time. 3 pets since March...find the razor blades. I'm sure in time you'll find another pet that needs a good home. Please know that all dogs go to heaven. Later, Love, Lisa
Attachments
Abby with bouquet.jpg
Have I mentioned lately that my drinking team has a hosta problem?
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

I am so very sorry for your loss. I'm sitting here with tears rolling down my face, I can imagine your pain as I would be devistated if that happened to Wilbur. And to lose 3 members of your family since march is just too much to bear.

But I know you loved Emmy and u treated him with much love and kindess and I know that he knew how much u cared for him. {{BIG HUGS}}

Debbie
petal*pusher

Post by petal*pusher »

Lionitis.....I believe we'll meet up with our special friends in the after-life too......and you have a wonderful little buddy waiting for you.

God sure knew exactly what family should find your little Emmy.....take comfort in the love shared.........p :wink:
pauhaus
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by pauhaus »

I am so very sorry to hear of your loss. Take comfort in knowing how much peace, contentment and love he was given in the home you made for him.
Paul
My Hosta List

“With fronds like you, who needs anemones.”
jmboyer

Post by jmboyer »

Oh, Evelyn, I'm so terribly sorry to come online and read this sad news. I know how heartbroken you and DH must be over losing Emmitt. Your memories of him will be comforting jewels in your heart. So, too, will the knowledge that you gave him the love and nurture he desperately needed and never would have found without you. My heartfelt condolences and loving thoughts are with you during this difficult time.
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

So very sorry! I remember your telling about your DH finding Emmitt. After what he's been through, rest assured that he knew this past year has been very happy for him.
Doris_J

Post by Doris_J »

I'm so sorry about Emmitt. I can't imagine why anyone would want to be cruel to an animal. I'm glad Emmitt had a good year with you and your husband. I'm sure that made his final days very happy, even if his little body couldn't continue on. And I hope your husband knows how much he enriched Emmitt's life.
impatience

Post by impatience »

I am so sorry for your loss. :cry:

I can't help but think Emmy died knowing peace and love-what more could any of us ask for? I wish peace for you and your family-you have suffered greatly since March. Of course our fur children go to heaven, it would not be heaven without them.
Gardening is the slowest of the performing arts.
doublemom2
USDA Zone: 8

Post by doublemom2 »

So sorry to hear about your loss. i haven't lost a pet for years, but as a child we lost several dogs and each was devastating. Just know that Emmy finally found a home with you and knew that he was loved. Wish there were more people like you on this planet.

hugs,
Andi
Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

Oh my goodness, you've been through so much these last few months. (((Lionitus))). I'm so sorry to hear that you've lost Emmit. The story of him being rescued by your husband during your separation was so heartwarming. I know you and your husband must be devastated to lose this poor little guy along with your other losses. I'm just sure that Emmit died knowing that he was loved.
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

I believe that we're all on this earth for some reason...and that includes our pets. Emmy came into your lives when your DH needed something or someone desparately to help get through that period of separation. I choose to believe that it was God's intervention. Emmy eased your DH's pain and in return you both eased Emmy's pain and gave him a loving and happy home for his remaining time on earth. I have no doubts that he died happy and contented. And how can God not have a special place for our beloved pets? One day you'll see Emmy again. In the meantime grieve his loss in your lives, but remember the love that you all shared. I'm so sorry for your loss. I know how hard it is to lose furkids. One is hard enough, but I've also been through the multiple loss in a short period of time. It's a devastating feeling. Please accept my heartfelt condolences for your loss. :(
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

{{hugs}} Lionitus to you and your dh :(
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Lionitus

Post by Lionitus »

Thank you all so much. I am humbled by the care and compassion you all show me. I have come to count on you all so much for understanding regarding our animals. My DH is feeling quite sad, I haven't seen him like this in a very, very long time. Of course, each time we walk into the kitchen now there is the memory of the sight of Emmy lying there. How difficult this is, I never would have imagined how painful that would be.

I have such terrible feelings of guilt because I was just a few feet away sleeping and never even knew he lay dying in the next room. I wish I could have held him and comforted him in his last moments. I could have put him on a soft surface and talked to him. I just feel awful about that.

Life progresses though, doesn't it? Poody, Nick and Zippy still need to be cared for and are still here loving us up with head butts and leg swirls. I tell you, Poody and Nick are always so content and carefree, it's so wonderful to see them happy and healthy. Zippy is happy and healthy too, but he definitely has attitude! He's not quite as loving as Nick and Poody.

DH and I will need a few months to heal from our multiple losses. Sometimes life just works out this way I guess.

Thank you all again. I hope to get some new pictures of my furbabies this weekend and I'll see if I can't share some. I need some cheering up.

Lionitus
putnamgardens

Post by putnamgardens »

Have you ever seen the show, "Crossing over"? John Edward consoles loved ones who regret NOT being there at the end. John explains that dying is like going to the bathroom. Some folks (maybe dogs) will wait to be alone to take thier last breath. You might have felt better IF you coulda been there to comfort Emmy. I think finding Emmy is your most recent haunting memory. In time I hope you can remember Emmy in happier times. Later, Love, Lisa
Attachments
Abby lounging.jpg
Have I mentioned lately that my drinking team has a hosta problem?
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

This Old Coot sure will

Post by oldcoot »

Because he fears the same thing. O.C.'s "Pooper Dawg" is 14, and sleeps a lot now. So, we expect the same thing to happend to us.BUMMER. Us Dog Lovers know what it's all about....LOVED....

The Old COot named John
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
mommatina
USDA Zone: 5

Post by mommatina »

I am so sorry to hear about your loss.. but have comfort in knowing that they are in heaven...In Isaiah 11:6 and 65:25 we are assured of that...The wolf and the lamb shall fed together and the leopard shall lie down with the young kid; and a little child shall lead them
http://mccomaswv.com/Beartown/beartown_wv.htm
Tina
Challenges make you discover things about yourself that you never really knew.
New Topic Post Reply