Are you rich enough to send your dog to Dog Island?

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

Squash Blossom

Are you rich enough to send your dog to Dog Island?

Post by Squash Blossom »

Have you guys seen http://www.thedogisland.com? Somebody put a tremendous amount of time and effort into designing the site...not to mention the concept. :-?

Anyone can send their dog or dogs to Dog Island for a permanent vacation. Rich people have the opportunity to visit and possibly see their dog again...but the cabins are booked for a couple of years.

If you haven't been to Dog Island, do take the tour and then tell me what you think!! There's so much traffic to the site you may have to try several times to get in.

Ann
To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Ann, I read about this some time ago. If I recall, it's all a practical joke, but I have no doubt they had plenty of people sign up.
Think about it. In reality, this would be a disaster to put a group of dogs on an island to "Enjoy a free and natural life". To "live off of the rabbits, rodents, fish and other natural prey." If in fact you had an island with all this wonderful prey to live off of, it would have it's own natural ballance. Adding only one or two dogs could throw that ballance totally out of wack.
Dogs, as pack animals will revert back to survival of the fittest. This doesn't bode well for the older, smaller, less instinctive dogs. These would be the first to go because they would be a much easier "quarry" than the rabbits, rodents and fish the article claims inhabit the island.
One of the most facinating books I've read in a few years is "Dogs" A Startling New Understanding of Canine Origin, Behavior & Evolotion, by Raymond and Lorna Coppinger.
It's a new "theory" on how wolves became dogs. Definately not the Caveman raising a wolf cub theory. It explains why dogs today, as a rule, wouldn't survive in the wild. We've bred to many Selected traits in them for our benifit.
:oops: JEEZE! I'm rambling about dogs again! :oops: :lol: :roll:
Zeddicus

Post by Zeddicus »

OED is right as usual. I just did a quick check in Snopes and they say it is false. Just can't see me sending my babies to an island full of pitbulls.

Ron
Attachments
SSCN0349.JPG
Squash Blossom

Post by Squash Blossom »

:lol:

Yeh, I knew it was an "urban legend" but it is so well done!! You gotta' give credit where credit is due. :lol:

I had forgotten about it until someone posted at PugVillage recently that they'd heard these abandoned dogs were either going to be eaten or used to breed puppies to be eaten...then I KNEW someone somewhere didn't understand it was a joke.

One of my favorite pictures there is the dog barking at a squirrel on the beach...and the "beach" is as still as a park pond! The next picture is a pounding surf!!

I thought the part about the rabbits was funny - I thought, before too long, the rich peoples' dogs would finish eating the rabbits then they'd start eating other rich peoples' dogs!!

Dog Island is one of the best parodies I've seen but I have to admit I'm still not sure what some of it means!! :roll:

Ann
Squash Blossom

Post by Squash Blossom »

Zeddicus wrote:OED is right as usual. I just did a quick check in Snopes and they say it is false. Just can't see me sending my babies to an island full of pitbulls.

Ron
Ron,

Your little dogs are absolutely beautiful!! I've been pet-sitting for a week with a tiny Shih Tzu named Binkie. Binkie is such a character I hated to see his family come home!!

I have three Chinese pugs - Rosebud, Gumdrop and Jimbo.

Ann
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Ron, I suspect Taz and Rush could charm the tough guy outa the pitbulls. :D
Squash Blossom

Post by Squash Blossom »

Old earth dog wrote:Ron, I suspect Taz and Rush could charm the tough guy outa the pitbulls. :D
I'm not sure the Shih Tzu's and the Pitbulls would be on the same island!! :lol: I am terribly worried about my Chinese pugs though - pugs are the largest of the toy breeds, I believe. What if Jimbo accidently got put on the wrong island? :eek: I'd have to find a rich person to go check on him...plus, none of my pugs like rabbit stew.

Ann
New Topic Post Reply