Cat bite information?-this is really long :(

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Jane, I'm so sorry your cat got you! I just got bit by Wilbur before I came on line,,,,rotten cat! He doesn't usually bite hard though and has always been a biter.

Just keep an eye on your wounds. I'm sure u will be ok.

Debbie

wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Thanks. So far so good. She's always put her teeth on me in play, but has never bit down. But I truly think she had to have gotten hurt to react that way. It really scared me, as she was like a wild animal. Totally out of control Scary. And it was so quick. It's still looking okay tonight, so hopefully that will continue. :)
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Lionitus

Post by Lionitus »

Oh Dear, Jane. I haven't been on the forum in a little while and came on today to catch up and see you've had some trouble. I'm so sorry you've been bitten. I was bitten about a year and a half ago by a stray kitty. Stupid me, I was trying to rescue it and instead ended up in the hospital. Since the kitty was a stray and ran off, obviously the hospital was a must. But I do want to tell you that they cleaned it, gave me a tetanus shot and told me to keep it clean with a rinse of iodine twice a day for two weeks. I'm not sure what is in iodine (I remember my Grandma Nan using it all the time though) but it did heal ok and I had no other effects from the bite. Though my finger was stained orange for about a month!

I hope all turns out well for you. Poor kitty must have been hurt like you said to turn on you like that. Hope you and kitty are doing better.

Lionitus
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Thanks Lionitus. She and I are both doing well. Actually the scratch was a little infected as cat scratches do often. But I kept the antiobiotic ointment on it as the bites and washed often after being in the garden and such. All look fine today, so I think I'm past the panic stage :) Glad I didn't waste the $ or the time sitting in the clinic this weekend :)

Thanks for everyones' concern. The web can scare you easily at times I think so I turned to those in the know :) You all have been a great leveling agent! Thanks again :)
FreakyCola

Post by FreakyCola »

Jane,
Glad you're ok. I would have said just to watch it too.

I found a little black kitten and tried to pick her up & of course got attacked since she was so scared. She bit me deeply in several places on my right hand and then hid. I put on gloves and found her so I could keep her for a rabies watch and she bit me again through the thick gloves! So I was totally scratched and bitten all over my right hand. After washing it good and putting antibiotic ointment on it, it turned out fine. And she is the most lovable little sweetie now.

I had a cat one time when I lived in a basement apartment. The window was at ground level and she always sat in it.

One day a bulldog showed up outside the window & I think it must have peed on the window & her, coz in about 1/10th of a second the cat just freaked out & jumped out of the window to the floor then 5' straight up to my face! :eek: :eek: :eek:

She was plastered on my face like you see cartoon cats do! :eek: I grabbed her and put her down & she jumped right back on my face! :eek: I freaked at this point and threw her across the room where luckily she landed on the couch. Then it was all over & she was fine. Just walked around like she always went crazy & went sailing through the air and it was no big deal to her. :roll: I just had a few scratches on the sides of my face, but I sure kept a watchful eye on her for some time afterwards!
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Yes, I made the mistake of taking her out front ONE time to show someone as she was being nosy at the front door. A loud vehcile went through and she put a nail or through my face under my lip and above it into the gum. I was numb for about 2 days up into my nose, but it was fine.

I had forgotten all about that! :eek: It again, wasn't her fault as she'd never been out front and was scared by the noise.
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

AND THAT IS WHY

Post by oldcoot »

O.C. doesn't have a cat..Had one way back when (early first marfriage and he didn't like me (treated me worse my my ex and THAT was prettry bad.). Named him Pharoah,
because he was KING...Went to pet him one day and almost lost a finger he bit it so bad. DID get a Tetnus shot and a round of Antibiotics. Becase I fall down in the yard a lot (or used to) I keep one up to day. Can get hem free at the VA.. Also kep a round of antibiotics here for emergency purposes....Old Coot's learn slow, but THEY DO LEARN. No more cats.....(Joy doesn't like them anyway-she likes doggies, which suits this Old Coot fine.............)

John
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
Bluecanoe

Post by Bluecanoe »

I had an incident a few years ago with one of my older cats that's no longer with us. Tabitha got extremely agitated when she saw a strange cat outside the bay window, she was pacing, hissing and screeching and tried to attack one of our own cats when he went to investigate. I went over to stop her and she went for my right hand, she bit me viciously and clawed. My hand was so bad I went to the emergency at the hospital immediately. They gave me a Tetanus shot and antibiotics. However, the swelling between the the two knuckle joints never fully went down and about 4 years later is still swollen, arthritis developed at the exact point where the worst wound was. They did X-rays because the wound was so bad and they were afraid a piece of tooth or her a claw was embeded, I think it was personally and the X-ray missed it. I do get scratched while playing with my cats, accidental scratches and superficial wounds, this was the only time I ever had to have medical attention.

I do know from working with wildlife rescue that if a bird is bitten it can die within 12-24 hours after the attack, even if it looks like a superficial flesh wound, there's something in a cats saliva that is deadly to birds and another small mamals.
If you get the bird to rescue immediately and they can give it an antibiotic shot within the first one or two hours after the attack there is hope for survival.

I hope everything turns out alright, usually a pet cat won't attack it's owner unless it's terribly fightened, like what happened with me and Tabitha, she was old, about 14 yrs at the time and her eyesight wasn't the best. I don't blame her, I blame myself in that case, I should have known from the over stimulated state she was in to stay away.
Lynda (The Roving Siamese cat toy)
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Yes, I'm sure she was injured,just not exactly sure what happened. :( The wounds are all okay, so I'm not fretting about them now. Just keeping a watchful eye. Funny thing, the scratch is more bothersome than the teeth marks. They've appeare to have healed already, but that scratch is still tender b/c of the location. It's right where you grab with a hammer, crow bar, shovel, pitchfork, the steering wheel, a pan to cook everything! It will heal fine now though, I'm sure now :) Thanks. Had it appeared infected I would have gone to the hospital, but did get a tetenus a few years back after racking the back of my thumb over a nail in the ground while extending a raised bed :(
Bluecanoe

Post by Bluecanoe »

If it's in the 'web' of your hand, definately get it double checked! That's an area that can be extremely bad. Actually any injury there can cause a lot of damage. I remember a friend of mine got a splinter in the web of his hand and the infection that developed was terrible!! He almost lost his hand! Don't mean to scare you, but seriously that's where you seem to be pointing where the scratch was.
Lynda (The Roving Siamese cat toy)
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Lynda, it was last Thursday night and it is healing well, just tender yet, as it was deep. It's not in the web really, it's on the palm though, just under and between the fore and middle fingers pads on the palm. Does that make sense? LOL

It will heal fine, I'm sure, but thanks for worrying :) I'm going to live! :)
mamawsdaughter

Post by mamawsdaughter »

I haven't been on in almost a week, so sorry to hear about the cat bite...it sounds like to me that everything is going okay...you are very lucky...cat bite's can be awful...I got bite last yr and it got infected....I now have a fairly noticeable scar on my right shoulder about 1/2 inch long, 1/4 inch wide, with a slight indentation downward...I was working at a group home for mentally disabled women at the time...and one of my co-workers saw it and said "girl that is infected, let me clean that out for you" since we were all certified in first aid, I let her...it hurt for about ten minutes...and burned and oozed the entire time...I still have the cat that bite me...she has never attacked me since...

I am so happy to hear that you are doing good...it might be sore for awhile if your car bite down to the bone....maybe bruised the bone a little...good luck with you battle wounds (as my daughters call them)....

mamawsdaughter
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Yep, nearly all healed, except the one over the bone, and yes, I think it might have been down too, but not into the bone. I can feel the scab pressing on that bone when I use with force, but it's not sore really, just a weird feeling.

Thanks, hopefully no more battle wounds :)
New Topic Post Reply