Heart warming signs!!

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

Bluecanoe

Heart warming signs!!

Post by Bluecanoe »

Some of you who know me well remember that I lost my Siamese cat 'Canoe' last October to an aggressive form of Liver Cancer. Our Maine Coon 'Maggie May' had been Canoe's life long partner, he was only 10 months old when she came to live with us over 13 years ago and they'd bonded immediately. They slept together, washed eachother and were eachother's shadows literally. When he died so quickly she went into a very dark depression. She roamed the house looking for him when he was in the hospital and when we brought him home to bury him she sensed where he was and started sleeping against the wall in the den not more then a foot away from his burial space.
We'd lost her other companion Tabitha only a year earlier so this was her first time being an only cat. We decided to get her another Siamese companion thinking that might help, it helped us somewhat, but she resented the new kitten and we thought we might have made a big mistake.
She growled and hissed at him, and he even ended up with a little scar on his nose from a fierce swat she's given him when he first came. This was not normal behavior from her, she'd always been a very gentle cat and we'd never even heard her hiss before.

We did see some softening over the months, he kept trying to get close, and she started to 'sort of' tollerate him. However this afternoon I walked into our dark bedroom (we keep the blinds drawn in there most of the time) and I saw them very close on the bed, on further inspection I saw that she was giving him a bath! She always gave Canoe a bath, and I had a major flashback of her and Canoe together. 'Blue' had the same expression on his face as Canoe used to have when Maggie was pampering him. I've seen them playing lately, although she still growls at him when he tries to jump on her back and ride her like she was his pony.. :-? But this latest incident is so darn heart warming! There's still almost 13 years between them, but headway has been made!! Here's a few of the photos I took..as I type this, they are of course fighting..but... :???:
Attachments
another shot!  Btw, I think it's Maggie that really needs a bath, she's looking a little worse for wear lately!
another shot! Btw, I think it's Maggie that really needs a bath, she's looking a little worse for wear lately!
Maggie May washing Blue
Maggie May washing Blue
Lynda (The Roving Siamese cat toy)
JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Post by JaneG »

Awwww, what a sweet story and what precious kitties!
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

{{Aw}} that is a heartwarming story :)

Our 'Lucy' (lucifer, aka, the cat from hell-O) did the same thing to littlebit when we added her to the fold. Took one look, ran over and smacked her atop the head, I thought she'd knocked her out! They tolerate each other now, but Lucy remains the 'head of the household', even keeping the dogs in their place. Unless of course they have something she wants........like warmth on a cold night she'll curl up in between their legs, or if one has tromped through catnip, she's sure to rub against them, chasing them everywhere to get close to them! LOL
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Lynda, what a sweet story. And I'm so glad that Maggie is learning to tolerate Blue. And what a sweet pic, giving kisses. :-)

PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

:P Awww, Linda, that is indeed a sweet story and the pics are darling!
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Awww, how precius! I love that second picture with that tongue! :D
jmboyer

Post by jmboyer »

Lynda, those photos are adorable. I'm so glad that Maggie has begun mothering Blue. What a darling story this is. I'm looking forward to seeing more photos of these two sweeties.
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

Now how stinkin cute is that! Dont cha just love em. They have minds and personalities all their own. Thats a great story,its funny what they do when they think you aint watching.
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Oh, Lynda, I can imagine how great that made you feel. We try to do the best for our pets, as you did by bringing in a new companion for her. Now you can see that she is actually accepting the new cat, you must feel at last that you did do the right thing. Great pics. Glad you had that new camera nearby!
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
mamawsdaughter

Post by mamawsdaughter »

Those pictures are too darling....the story just made me smile from ear to ear...thanks for sharing it with us....

mamawsdaughter
New Topic Post Reply