Dog Whisperer

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Dog Whisperer

Post by JaneG »

Okay, I don't have a dog but have become addicted to the dog whisperer show. Is this guy for real? Does he just have so good an understanding of a dogs mind that he can make a dog behave totally differently for him than for the owner?

It seems like he is training the people more than the dog. (But then, some people probably need it more than their dog.)

OED, have you seen the show? It's on the National Geographic channel. Any other dog people see it?
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

I saw an ad once for it, but never saw the saw. Be curious what OED says about him :)
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
putnamgardens

Post by putnamgardens »

I've seen several episodes of the dog whisper. He knows all about Pack Animals. It is always about the owner's ability to be consistant and that means giving the dog what it needs to adapt to it's world with people. Exercise is SUPER important. Routine.....it's established by the people for the dog. It is an effort to socialize dogs properly. I don't profess to know everything about sucessful dog training but I know enough to teach a person what they need to do in the training of a puppy. MOST people don't understand that it's an EFFORT to have that puppy meet 100 people it's first year. THEN ask yourself am I willing to take this dog training task on. Some pouches are quick learners. OTHERS have to overcome charactoristics of thier breed. Example....Siberian husky's are "timid" but nature. If they don't have that play drive to reward them with positive reinforcement they can have their spirit broken. IF that happens they won't bond with people. They will be independant and keep at arms length of people. Are you aware that most dogs that are distroyed are behavior related? Who's fault is that? I didn't mean to get on the soap box but it always blows my mind when I encounter a pet without manners. I'm just glad my pouch is a reflection of my labor. As far as the dog whisper guy having special "dog powers"....I believe he knows all about pack animals. How to assert HIS dominance over a dog that challenges him. He should actually give classes to mail carriers to keep them from getting bit. He'd teach the mail carriers NOT to keep eye contact with the dog, ect. So he has a way with dogs cuz he knows how to reward them and establish a rapport. I highly recommend the show. Occassionaly I learn something new. Later, Love, Lisa
Attachments
Ab @ work best size.jpg
Ab @ work on Front inhanced.jpg
mad dog sunglasses wallet.jpg
Have I mentioned lately that my drinking team has a hosta problem?
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

I've seen it as often as I can. I do enjoy it but the only problem I have is his methods aren't going to be followed up on by most of the people he has on the TV. Most of these people spoil the devil outa the dogs to create their problems. His whole tecknique is all about pack leadership (control), and understanding what goes on in a dogs head. Many of the people he shows will never get it. His methods are also pretty harsh for most people, but necessary for many of the dogs involved. If you've noticed, he always has the leash way up behind the dogs ears. This is more of a way to control the dog rather than to train it. You always see the before/after part of the series. You never really see him TEACHING the dog who's boss. On more than one occasion, you see a dog start to give him some $#!+, and the next scene, the dog is calmly laying on the ground panting. I'll bet you a dollar to a doughnut that he just choked the dog out. In otherwords, when the dog goes for him, he hangs it till it's unconsous. Harsh? EXTREAMLY, but often necessary with a dog that has the potential to harm, or worse, kill someone. In the shots of him in with his own pack, he often rolls them into a submissive position. As good as he is, he controls with fear, power, and getting into the dogs head. I've had two, very serious "junkyard" type dogs in my lifetime that had to be hung in order to get under control. One, only once. The other one would challenge me a couple of times a year, and had to be "controlled". At 75lbs, this dog could have been a serious threat to the public. He was not tempermentally sound. Just a viscous dog. Today, I would have had him put down. 30+yrs ago, it was probably a macho trip for me to own such a bada$$ dog.:roll: :oops: :oops: . Control still isn't necessarily training. It's just that..Control! If the dog has a good sound temperment, it's way to easy to develope your leadership with everyday expieriences.
I still like the show. :D :D :wink:
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Interesting thougths, thanks for sharing that :)
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

Yup, interesting. I always wonder if the owners follow up with his advice. I think often times people get a dog without thinking about that part of it.
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

This was an excellent read... thanks everyone for your contributions!
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply