more of my Drahthaars

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

r_leblanc

more of my Drahthaars

Post by r_leblanc »

These dogs are the best working utility dogs bar none.They will hunt feather & fur.They belong to the versatile hunting dogs.They are both also certified in blood tracking on 48 hour old wounded animal track.They are loyal & would protec their owner to the death.They have no fear of animal,large or small.
Attachments
Addi Vom Lakeshore retieving a pheasant.jpg
Addi Vom Lakeshore retieving a pheasant.jpg (24.07 KiB) Viewed 2007 times
Ron G. LeBlanc
janet

Post by janet »

Hello Ron. Welcome to Hallson's. You have two very good looking dogs there. The breed is not recognized by the AKC, and thus is not well known here in the states. Is the breed standard the same as the German Wirehaired Pointer or is it distinct? I know there are a few breeds that have different names in different countries, but the same standard. Is this one?
jd in nh
janet's list
It is well to remember that the entire universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others. --John Andrew Holmes
r_leblanc

Post by r_leblanc »

janet wrote:Hello Ron. Welcome to Hallson's. You have two very good looking dogs there. The breed is not recognized by the AKC, and thus is not well known here in the states. Is the breed standard the same as the German Wirehaired Pointer or is it distinct? I know there are a few breeds that have different names in different countries, but the same standard. Is this one?
No,the Drahthaar is the original German Wirehaired pointer.what has happened is that some dogmen in the united states didn't care for the strict testing & breeding regulations of the Drahthaar,therefor they formed their own kennels & broke away from Germany who still controls our breeding standards & strict testingThe breed is recognized by the AKC but we are not allowed to join,Germany does not allow it.The only dogs allowed in our testing which is held Spring & Fall are other versatile breeds such as the Griffon & several others.You can read up on this breed by searching the net for Verein Deutsch-Drahthaar Group North America.So,the German Wirehaired Pointer & the Drahthaar are the same but as different as black & white
Ron G. LeBlanc
janet

Post by janet »

I get it. Sounds like another case of some US breeders preferring form over function to the point where function is all but lost. Too bad. I read a bit on the VDD after you posted the first picture because I had not heard of the breed before. I shall read more. Thank you for the explanation.
jd in nh
janet's list
It is well to remember that the entire universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others. --John Andrew Holmes
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Hey Ron! Welcome! I've always admired the Drahthaar (and their breeders) because of it's keeping with what it was bred for. As anyone here can attest to, one of my "soap boxes" :roll: :D is that dogs bred for a function should be able to perform. I've got a fantastic, Czech bred, working GSD as opposed to the American Show Shepherd (ASS dog :eek: ), in addition to my working terriers.
Course all the great people here have helped me realize not everyone is as "obsessed/posessed" as I am, and I've learned to love all their furkids.......even the cats :eek: :D :wink: .
PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

:P Welcome Ron! Thanks so much for showing us your beautiful dogs! I was not aware of this breed and welcome the opportunity to learn more! :D
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
r_leblanc

working dogs

Post by r_leblanc »

Old earth dog wrote:Hey Ron! Welcome! I've always admired the Drahthaar (and their breeders) because of it's keeping with what it was bred for. As anyone here can attest to, one of my "soap boxes" :roll: :D is that dogs bred for a function should be able to perform. I've got a fantastic, Czech bred, working GSD as opposed to the American Show Shepherd (ASS dog :eek: ), in addition to my working terriers.
Course all the great people here have helped me realize not everyone is as "obsessed/posessed" as I am, and I've learned to love all their furkids.......even the cats :eek: :D :wink: .
Hi O.E.D. thanks for the welcome,appreciate it.I agree with you 100%.Utility dogs are born to perform the tasks they were bred for.Breeders of show dogs have changed some breeds so much trying to better them for dog shows.I Wonder what they will do as P.E.T.A. & other animal rights groups gain inroads with the courts?They no longer crop ears & dock tails on some of the popular breeds allready.We (Drahthaar Group Canada & Drahthaar Group North America are exempt from this law as we use our dogs for hunting which they were bred for.To leave their tails undocked would be more cruel then docking them.When they work in heavy cover of bushlands,their tails would be blodied & swollen if not docked.But I've seen some Drahthaars imported from other Countries with tails left intact so Animal rights are succeeding in some countries.Can you imagine a Doberman with long ears & tail.Anyways,stay on your soapbox & keep on bragging about your dogs,anyone with a great working dog is justified.We have our own testing,VJP,puppy evaluation,HZP,testing in Nose,Search,Pointing,Cooperation,Desire to work,Water work,Retrieving,and Obedience.Dogs must pass these tests in order to be Certified Breeders.We also have a blood tracking test (2) (1) 20 hour old & (2)40 hour old.My male (Addi Vom Lakeshore) is certified in the 20 hour test & my female (Dolly Vom Masterhunt) is certified in the 40 hour test.I'm very proud in both these 2 dogs.I've rambled on enough so I better say bye & good dogging....Ron
Ron G. LeBlanc
r_leblanc

working dogs

Post by r_leblanc »

Old earth dog wrote:Hey Ron! Welcome! I've always admired the Drahthaar (and their breeders) because of it's keeping with what it was bred for. As anyone here can attest to, one of my "soap boxes" :roll: :D is that dogs bred for a function should be able to perform. I've got a fantastic, Czech bred, working GSD as opposed to the American Show Shepherd (ASS dog :eek: ), in addition to my working terriers.
Hi O.E.D. thanks for the welcome,appreciate it.I agree with you 100%.Utility dogs are born to perform the tasks they were bred for.Breeders of show dogs have changed some breeds so much trying to better them for dog shows.I Wonder what they will do as P.E.T.A. & other animal rights groups gain inroads with the courts?They no longer crop ears & dock tails on some of the popular breeds allready.We (Drahthaar Group Canada & Drahthaar Group North America are exempt from this law as we use our dogs for hunting which they were bred for.To leave their tails undocked would be more cruel then docking them.When they work in heavy cover of bushlands,their tails would be blodied & swollen if not docked.But I've seen some Drahthaars imported from other Countries with tails left intact so Animal rights are succeeding in some countries.Can you imagine a Doberman with long ears & tail.Anyways,stay on your soapbox & keep on bragging about your dogs,anyone with a great working dog is justified.We have our own testing,VJP,puppy evaluation,HZP,testing in Nose,Search,Pointing,Cooperation,Desire to work,Water work,Retrieving,and Obedience.Dogs must pass these tests in order to be Certified Breeders.We also have a blood tracking test (2) (1) 20 hour old & (2)40 hour old.My male (Addi Vom Lakeshore) is certified in the 20 hour test & my female (Dolly Vom Masterhunt) is certified in the 40 hour test.I'm very proud in both these 2 dogs.I've rambled on enough so I better say bye & good dogging....Ron
Ron G. LeBlanc
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

Hi Ron!

Welcome to the forum! Your dogs are gorgeous and I love to see working dogs that actually look like they can perform what they were meant to do. I was talking to one of my sons friends father yesterday and got quite an earful from him regarding Labs and how the breed has been ruined by showring breeders. He refers to them as "Pigadors" LOL! I will be going to watch him with his new male Lab at a field trial on Saturday and can't wait to see all the retrievers working.

As far as your comment:
Can you imagine a Doberman with long ears & tail.
I certainly CAN imagine a long eared Doberman. I have chosen to keep Divas ears natural for several reasons and am thrilled that natural eared Dobes, Boxers, Danes, etc are now more common in the breed ring. Tails and dew claws will always be done, but ears are definitely optional IMO. This was a decision made based on my having 2 small kids in the house that I wanted to be able to interact with the puppy from the minute she got home and I felt having a puppy with posted ears for the first several months would inhibit the interaction. My kids are very gentle and loving with her, but do not have to be overly cautious about petting her head or touching her ears. No part of puppy love is off limits!

Alexa
r_leblanc

Doberman is beautiful

Post by r_leblanc »

Hey O.E.D.,that sure is a great looking dog you have there,how old is it?Looks like still a jr.Oh by the way,I train all my puppies with a Tritronic Electrical collar & it sure makes training a lot easier now compared to the old way of teaching your pup to be steady to point & flush with a check cord.It now takes only 2 or 3 sessions to turn on the light in puppies mind.What a godsend those collars are & real humain if used properly.How do you feel about these collars.I have 2 double Tritronic Sportsman deluxe that reach 2 miles & no visible airiel on collar to get snagged on brush.Do you hunt O.E.D.Happy dogging....Ron
Ron G. LeBlanc
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Ron, although I'm a big fan of the ecollar (Have a Dogtra 1100) I have only used it on my GSD for a few simple training sessions of excessive barking (I thought my terriers were bad :roll: ) and jumping on the sliding glass door. He picked up that habit from my JRT. I never payed much attention to it with a 14 lb terrier, but with an 80 lb GSD, it was a little scarry when he hit the glass door at a flying leap. Twice with the collar cured him totally. I like your low stim method with the collar. Very similar to what Lou Castle uses. to many people are taught to blast the dog into the next county. I've seen VERY few dogs that needed that. All of his Schutzhund and obedience has been motivational training, with food rewards. I was always against food training till I competed in obedience competition with a Kerry Blue terrier that would respond tooth and nail to hard, physical correction. Not an unusual response from a terrier. Motivational worked miracals with him and he became the #1 KBT in the U.S. during the 82-83 obedience competition season. That being said, I'm not a total fanatic on the motivational training. Once the dog FULLY understands what I want, I have no qualms about corrections for a refusal. I find it very seldom necessary though with the way I train now. My hunting days are about over now. I spent the last 15+plus yrs doing earth work with my terriers and it's getting a little hard on my, almost, 60yr old knees to dig out a dog that's underground, working quarry (fox, coons, groundhogs, possum, etc). I did shoot bird over the KBT that I mentioned above. He was a great finder that would shake like a leaf when he was on point. His biggest problem was he HATED feathers. He'd take out a coon or ground hog without batting an eye, but would return downed birds only by holding the feet. :roll: Nowhere near the class of a real bird dog, but I had a blast with him. My big todo with my dogs now is Search and rescue and Schutzhund with my GSD.
BillyB
USDA Zone: 6B

Post by BillyB »

Alexa,

Your long eared Dobie looks just like our Coco we had for 12 years. She had long ears also and was spoiled rotten! :lol: I miss her everyday. :( I also believe one can pet an animal on the head and around their ears with no worry if they have not been clipped.

BillyB
BillyB
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world." - John Muir
My Hosta List
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

Thanks Billy!

She is a sweetie! SHe's only 11 weeks old but already well on her way to being just a little bit spoiled. :D

This is my 3rd red girl and I am so happy to have gotten her. I lost my last red girl to cancer just over a year ago and have really missed the pitter patter of puppy feet.

Take care!

Alexa
r_leblanc

Beautiful Dobie Alexa

Post by r_leblanc »

Hi Alexa,she's a real beaut.Very inteligent looking also.I love all breeds of dogs,I had a JRT.She was amazing,almost thought she understood the English language.But they are very devilish.She past at the age of 16 with cancer.It doesn't matter if they lived until 20 or 30,it is so hard when they go.A friend of mine lost 4 dogs to cancer & I told him it probably was because he sprayed his lawn twice a year for insects & weeds.I told him that dogs always eat grass for purification & laxitive.He didn't really believe me but stopped spraying & what do you know,he hasn't lost a dog in 15 years.Well,keep on doggin...Ron
Ron G. LeBlanc
New Topic Post Reply