& more of my Drahthaars

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

r_leblanc

& more of my Drahthaars

Post by r_leblanc »

Addi Vom Lakeshore is 125 lbs & will retrieve a Canada Goose over 20 lbs 100 yards without putting it down until he presents it to handler.When they are young,we train them with a weighted dummy & increase the weight every week until they reach 30 lbs on a hundred yard retrieve.The Drahthaar has a very high intelligence & quick to learn.My dogs turn left or right with whistle signals,hand signals & now know the word (left or right)This is my girl Dolly retrieving.She is 90 lbs.
Attachments
Dolly Vom Masterhunt retrieving pheasant.jpg
Dolly Vom Masterhunt retrieving pheasant.jpg (12.17 KiB) Viewed 642 times
Ron G. LeBlanc
Snow

Post by Snow »

That is a stunning photo - wonderful color!
~*Snow*~
r_leblanc

Post by r_leblanc »

Snow wrote:That is a stunning photo - wonderful color!
Thanks,I really love these dogs,I've been using this breed for 20 years & have not one complaint about them.They are intelligent,loyal & very brave no matter the size of an animal wether it be a bear,Moose or wolf.For instance,in early May of this year I was up near North Bay fishing trout & had my 2 dogs with me.They were in tent with me sleeping.Around 4 am there was a low growl coming from my dogs so I took my flashlight & started out to investigate.I came face to face with a black bear which looked like 200 to 300 lbs.It was an old sow with 2 cubs which were probably born early spring during hibernation.If it wasn't for my Drahthaars circling the sow & biting at her legs,I would never have gotten in my truck & safety.To make a long story short,my dogs came out of this with wounds that were not death threatening.I got them into the truck with me & except for some scratches on my driver side door & Gunner & Dolly making a visit to the local Vet,we came out of this encounter faily well.
Ron G. LeBlanc
New Topic Post Reply