Been Away Awhile........Just Catching Up w/Pet Pics & Ne

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

Lionitus

Been Away Awhile........Just Catching Up w/Pet Pics & Ne

Post by Lionitus »

Hi Everyone,
We've finally settled into a small farm we bought after living a rather nomadic lifestyle the past three years due to my husband's work situation. The farmhouse has been neglected so we are working hard at refurbishing. The field have all gone fallow so we are tilling and I'm installing some plants before cold weather sets in.

The kitties are loving their new surroundings. Lots of things to see and smell including two barns. They're in kitty heaven.

We found out in July that our Zippy has cancer of the epiglottis. I found a very swollen lymph node on his neck and we had it checked out and they operated right away. Apparently, the cancer has surrounded the epiglottis entirely and it sent out a feeder vein to find "food" which attached itself to his lymph node. My poor little baby. So they removed his lymph node but the actual cancer tumor is inoperable. The other available treatments are radiation or chemo, neither of which are a very good idea for Zippy as he has two heart murmurs and the treatments would be too hard on him. So for now he is getting along ok and I'm determined to envelope him in love and lots of treats until we have to say goodbye. The vet assures me he is not in pain right now. He also explained that eventually the cancer will cut off Zippy's ability to swallow or breath so for now it's a waiting game. What an agony for us all. I'm just concentrating on the time we have now and keeping busy so as not to get depressed.

Have some pictures to share. Hope you are all having a wonderful summer.

Lionitus
Attachments
zippy (6).jpg
Nick Wants to Go Too.jpg
Nick Wants to Go Too.jpg (9.09 KiB) Viewed 1636 times
Poody Strikes a Pose.jpg
Poody Strikes a Pose.jpg (8.31 KiB) Viewed 1636 times
Snow

Post by Snow »

Bless your heart - you have had quite a year. Hoping that Zippy remains comfortable and with you for as long as possible. You have beautiful kitties :wink:
~*Snow*~
patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

Beautiful kitties. I'll bet they love their new home!

I'm so so sorry about Zippy. You have had such a tough year with your furbabies. :( My thoughts are with you.
PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

:P Everyone looks so happy and content! My heart goes out to you and your dear Zippy.
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

What pretty kitties! I just hated to hear this bad news on Zippy....((((Lionitus))))
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Glad everyone is getting settled in and enjoying the new surroundings. How sad ,though, about Zippy. :( What a sweet looking baby. I hope the remaining time will be painfree. :(
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

O.C. is so sorry to hear that

Post by oldcoot »

Waiting is NEVER FUN. Especially when you know the eventuallity.

Good bvless you and I'll keep the Kitties in my prayers. Helped Lucy's dog......Tht Old Coot named John
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
jmboyer

Post by jmboyer »

What a difficult time you've had of it, Evelyn. You've got lots of courage. That's for sure. Your three babies are beautiful, but I am so sorry about Zippy. I am sure that whatever time he has left will be filled with your nurture and love. My thoughts are with you.
lazygardner

Post by lazygardner »

My Orange Pekoe who just passed away this morning went until the last minutes without showing any feeling of pain. In fact he looked much worse a week or two ago, when I first realized he was very sick. I hope it works the same for Zippy. I know he is the love of your life.

(I also agree with you on your decision about chemo and radiation. Those really are miserable treatments even when you don't have a heart murmer or two.)
Before criticizing someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them you will be a mile away and have their shoes!
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

O.C. can now really sympathisize with you.

Post by oldcoot »

Pooper was put to sleep Friday...My heart and prayer ARE with you. (O.C. has a heart murmur too, had it for 74 years, was born with it) Maybe your will stay with you a long time.. John & Joy
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
Lionitus

Post by Lionitus »

You are all the best. We're doing ok for now and I'm grateful for that. Zippy is 11 years old and has had a wonderful life. He's a little urchin, spoiled rotten and has wanted for nothing except more time outside! I adore him and hate to lose him.

Lazygardener, I'm glad you agree. I have heard of lots of people going full-out with chemo and all sorts of other treatments for cancer in their pets. I really believe that has to be evaluated on an animal-to-animal basis. For Zippy, it's a very bad idea. When he is handled by anyone (including me on occassion) he becomes a terror. I'm not sure where this comes from. I've had him since he was 6 weeks old and have never, ever harmed him. But he has drawn blood from more than one veterinarian and two weeks ago, after his surgery, the vet told me he couldn't even reach in the cage to check Zippy's sutures because Zippy was so vicious. And he weighs just 7 pounds!

I guess the other thing is I just can't subject him to stays at a vet hospital 40 miles away for a week at a time. I don't believe he'd survive the experience and he would be absolutely miserable. At least for now he's home with me where I can lovingly tend to him and make sure he's as happy and comfortable as I can make him. I bought him new catnip mice, a new pillow and we finished work on our screened porch so he can watch the birds and smell the outside air. He has a special pillow out there too. I'm spoiling him rotten, still! Oh yeah, and he gets tuna water three times a day.

Thanks everyone. We'll be alright. But not without the kind words of encouragement and caring you all provide. That keeps us going.

Lionitus
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

Your kitties are beautiful! :D

I'm so sorry to hear about Zippy. :cry: (((((Lionitus))))) You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
New Topic Post Reply