Has anyone ever taken out pet insurance?

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

Tundra_Queen

Has anyone ever taken out pet insurance?

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Hi
I was just wondering if anyone ever has. We got out bill for Wilbur's last vet cost and it is 773.00! And he has stopped eating as much again! Geezeeee I know they won't cover the pre existing illness but if he gets anything else we are really screwed. So I was wondering about pet inusrance.

Any opinions?

Debbie

Snow

Post by Snow »

I have wished I did, quite a few times in the last couple of years.
~*Snow*~
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

I've heard good things and bad things about pet insurance. The problem is knowing which pets you would benefit from having the insurance on and which ones you'd be throwing your money away carrying the insurance on. I'm also not for sure what the insurance absolutely covers, but you could probably ask your vet about it or do a google search for that info. I've heard some don't cover routine visits and vaccinations , which is what we generally get for our pets, but it will help cover the expenses of surgery and major illnesses. Hopefully someone here is using it and can give you first hand information on the value.
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Hi Debbie!!

I don't have it, and don't know of anyone either...sorry I can't help ya....If you do find out anything be sure to let us know.....wonder if Janet knows anything?
r_leblanc

Post by r_leblanc »

Hi,I have pet insurance on my dogs.It covers everything.Every Spring my dogs have to go for their booster shots & Rabies shots plus their physicals & heart worm pills.This amounts to 250.00 dollars each dog.Not to mention any surgeries or euthanasia & cremations.I would not be without it for myself,that's for sure.Without it,it would cost me a fortune running my kennelWe have our insurance through our Verein Deutsch-Drahthaar Group Canada but you can find several good Insurance companies on the Net.The one thing I know is the age factor,the younger the pet,the cheaper,good luck.
Ron G. LeBlanc
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Thanks everyone.

Ron how does one qualify for this insurance? Do U have to be an owner of that breed of dog?

Wilbur is a cat.

I got vetinsurance. But it doesn't cover needles or pre existing diseases. The accident policy doesn't start for five days and the illness doesn't start for 30 days. Because Wilbur is 3 years old it cost 25 dollars a month that includes Ontario PST.

I had picked up some insurance pamphlets at the vets a couple of years ago and I'm sure it said it covered the needles, but this one doesn't. I would love to have one that covered the cost of vaccinations.

Wilbur is still not eating much; about 1/4 cup a day. He started to stop eating last week again. Don't know why, so I'm just following him around with a food dish and sticking it in his face to see if he will eat. He doesn't go to the dish to eat himself. *sigh*

Sure hope he gets better.

Debbie

r_leblanc

Post by r_leblanc »

Good morning,sorry I didn't answer right away as I was on vacation.As for insurance,there are many pet insurance companies on the Net.Just check them out carefully,some cover everything but there are some that don't.If you are in the USA...... http://www.petcareinsurance.com/us/cat/index.asp & if in Canada..... http://www.petinsurance.com .......in the UK............... http://www.healthy-pets.co.uk/ you can check these out if you want.The insurance I have is for our breed association.Good luck & hope your pet gets better.
Ron G. LeBlanc
New Topic Post Reply