Weird kitty behaviors:

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

lazygardner

Weird kitty behaviors:

Post by lazygardner »

Zsa Zsa was somewhere in the dining room making a lot of muffled meowing sounds, while I am in her room on the computer with the door open. Eventually she comes into this room still meowing and with, get this...... a sandwich baggie of toilet parts from when I redid the floor in the bathroom and had to reseal the toilet! I'd understand (a little) if she brought a cat toy, but a plastic baggie of metal nuts and plastic bolt covers?

Then there is Momma cat. She has to paw the water in her bowl before she drinks. If she is just trying to see where the surface of the water is, WHY does she have to splash it all over? Or is she trying to make sure there isn't any debris, like leaves or hairs, floating on top? Maybe she is making sure there isn't a kitty eating monster just under the surface??? Orange Pekoe used to paw the water too, but he never made such a big mess!
Before criticizing someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them you will be a mile away and have their shoes!
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

I have one that I swear is farsighted and does that on occasion with food, water or even a sock or towel on the floor. I don't think she can focus on things close up, so test it first? :???:
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Annie

Post by Annie »

LOL cats are funny aren't they?
My old cat Pookie did that mewing thing but always had a sock in her mouth! Always reminded me of her holding a kittine! But she never had any, ever.

My cat Waz drinks with his paws. He never laps it up like a normal kitty. Dips his paw in the water and licks it off his paw!
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

:o :lol: I have to agree... nut and bolts??? :lol: They each have their own personality and that's what makes them so very special. :)
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

:lol: Cats are weird! :lol:
Lionitus

Post by Lionitus »

This is an interesting thread because our old kitty, Really, would paw at her water too. She would first dip in, then take one paw and cross it in front of her and reach back around her bowl while she drank. It was an amazing sight. I'm wondering if it does indeed have something to do with farsightedness or depth perception. Unfortunately, our Really ended up blind in her later years. But she never missed her food or water bowls! She was a marvel.

Now the nuts and bolts, that's a puzzler. Silly kitty. Maybe it was the sound they made? I have one kitty that LOVES the gift wrap grade of tissue paper because of the sound. I crinkle it up just a little bit and he comes running at it and sort of gathers it up with his little feet and then flops down on his side with the paper all balled up under his belly. Then he lies there and just kicks the bejeebers out of the paper, making all kinds of noise. When he's done I'm left with tons of shreds to pick up. But he's a hoot when he's in the mood for crinkle paper (as we call it).

Kitties sure keep life interesting and us on our toes.

Lionitus
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

I have one cat that drinks by sticking his paw in the water bowl and then licking his paw off. And another cat that does sort of the same thing ,but ends up splashing the water everywhere! My other cats use the conventional way to drink. Go figure....must be a personality thing?
I wonder if the cat with the nuts and bolt bag liked the sound it made when the metal parts rattled against each other? It's funny what they like to play with. :???:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
bkshasta

Post by bkshasta »

My cats will drink out of the toilet bowl too if I let them. I have to remember to close the lid each time I leave. Who's training who here. They leave such a mess. What a shock to sit down after they have been in there.

Joan one of mine will dip a paw and bring it up to her mouth to drink also.

Have to agree "Cats Are Weird"
Karry
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Not to mention cat PEOPLE. :eek: :eek: :oops: :oops: :o Did I say that with my outloud voice? :D :D :D Luvyas all! :wink:
lazygardner

Post by lazygardner »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The 'mewing with a sock' thing, very odd, especially when it is a MALE kitty doing it! My Zippy is a boy and neutered and he does the same thing. I KNOW He has never had kittens, although he is awfully good with them. Grooms them and is careful to be very gentle with them. Once I woke up with a cat toy in my hand, cuz he had put it there.
Before criticizing someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them you will be a mile away and have their shoes!
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

You know those long cat toys, plastic handle (thin) with feathers on the end. THe crazier cat used to carry it with the long stick follow under her and behind while meowing up a storm. WOuld wake the dead.

The other has recently taken up carrying around the 6 inch paint rollers (pink ones to boot :) Meowing all through the house. Neither has kittens either. I Thought perhaps they thought they were carrying prey, but this one does the same thing with milk carton rings. Crazy is right!
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
wild4flowers

Post by wild4flowers »

The only time Mickey talks with his mouth full is when he is bringing in a 'treat' to share with the dog. He can come and go as he pleases through the pet door, and always comes in with a 'live' critter in his mouth. The dog just loves it.

Not me, then I have to put down the sticky mouse pads to catch the critter.
Char
jmboyer

Post by jmboyer »

Funny stories, all. Over the years I have been continually fascinated by the odd and often comical behaviors my cats have exhibited. My Ebony has a plastic bag "fetish" and will spend much time licking any plastic bag I fail to put away. I have never figured that one out. My Misty likes to pounce on and bat at the tails of my dogs, Blondie and Chelsea. Misty also likes to sit atop my computer monitor and hang her paws onto the screen so that she can better "attack" the curser. I never had a cat paw at the water (which, strangely, my Chelsea did as a pup), but they have kept me laughing in other ways. Felines are strange and wonderful creatures.
New Topic Post Reply