A little ray of hope in the midst of disaster

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

jmboyer

A little ray of hope in the midst of disaster

Post by jmboyer »

This article brought me a moment of sheer joy when I read it today. The dog that was taken from the boy boarding the bus--brought to our attention by Mike--has been found. His name is Snowball and efforts are now being made to get him back to the boy. Please refresh the page if the article does not immediately appear. Here is the link:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9255741/
Snow

Post by Snow »

I just hope they can locate the little boy :???: I was heartened when I saw some photos of dogs and cats that had been rescued by various individuals/groups, and saw the little white cocker spaniel mix that I had seen SO many times on the news, wandering the streets looking so lost. I'm pretty certain it was her/him on that boat. Could be wishful thinking, but maybe not :wink:
~*Snow*~
lazygardner

Post by lazygardner »

Thank you Janet. Every bit of good news is certainly welcome when bad news is so plentiful. :D
Before criticizing someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them you will be a mile away and have their shoes!
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

I hope this is, in fact , Snowball and they are able to reunite the family and their furkid. Thank God for every ray of hope.
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Awwww, I hope it is Snowball, too!
Lionitus

Post by Lionitus »

I've followed this story and so many others like them. You know I truly believe I would end up being one of those who lost their lives or was trapped because they didn't want to leave their pets. I could never leave my furbabies behind, I just couldn't. And I've had many people say to me how foolish I am to think that way, that risking my own life for my pets is ridiculous. I just don't see it that way, they are part of my life, just as my human family is and just as I would risk my life for any of them. I don't know, I guess every person has to make their own decision. I just couldn't live with myself if my pets died because I left them.

Somehow there must be a way for those who want to evacuate their pets to do so. Is it really so hard to accommodate?

Anyway, I am happy the puppy was found and I hope the boy is located and reunited. What a heart-wrenching story. Thanks for the update Janet.

Lionitus
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

I hope that they are reunited soon. I know there are people who are working hard to care for the lost pets, and there are unbelievable numbers of people across the country who are trying to help with the animals. A friend's daughter went down with some other students from UofI vet school to help last weekend, bringing supplies and whatever assistance they could offer. Other students have come and gone as they are able. There was a story on the news last night of a woman from the Quad City area who drove her van down, picked up a van-load of misplaced pets, and brought them back to a shelter. They will be listed on Petfinder.com (I think that's right) for 4 weeks, as soon as they have been gone over by a vet and received whatever care is necessary. If they are not claimed by then, they'll be available for adoption. Poor things were all ribs and loose skin, except for one cocker who looked really good yet. The lady was just in tears as she held them, and she wants to go back for another load if possible. I'm glad there are people like her in the world.
Lionitus, I think I might be with you. I wouldn't know til it happened if I could do it or not, but the thought of leaving my poor old girl...or any of my grandogs, behind while I was carried to safety is almost more than I can stand to contemplate.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
lazygardner

Post by lazygardner »

I gotta admit, I would probably be right with Lionitis. I might not save them all (how could I pick and choose, I do have a favorite or two), but I would surely do my best, even if it meant risking my own life.

However, there was warning that this huricane was coming. I think that I would have grabbed the pets, some cash, lotsa credit cards, water and food, and headed for the hills. I know that there had been so many false warnings in the past ("you also want to take insurance papers," says my friend Val), and many figured this was just another one. Still, I am all too aware that tragedy happens every day, and I don't think I would take a chance in that particular area. Everytime we have a tornado warning I grab all the critters and head for the basement. (Not as easy as it sounds.) I guess I really ought to store food and water down there (and insurance papers.) I have also been collecting empty corn feed sacks to toss kitties into and to haul them quickly away. (Can't you just hear the caterwauling??) I have been meaning to wash them, but haven't gotten around to it. I also need to store a first aid kit in the basement. So, I have to think that Lionitis would also have saved her critters before it became a them or me situation.
Before criticizing someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them you will be a mile away and have their shoes!
New Topic Post Reply