Neighbors!Abandon their cat

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

wingnut

Neighbors!Abandon their cat

Post by wingnut »

My neighbors moved out over the past week. They lost their home because of lack of funds due to illnesses. She had many many rocks that I got from her and Im glad she thought enuf to give them to me.... But she also had a dog and a 10 yr old cat. She had told me that she was going to take the cat down some country road near a farm and just throw him out by the side of the road and just fend for himself basically OR they were going to leave him behind. I told her about a local rescue that took in mostly cats. Talked to her again a couple of days ago and she was going to take him to the local shelter instead because she said the rescue was full. She moved out officially 3 days ago and guess what got left behind. Im so P****D about it. Hes across the street waiting on the porch for his owners to COME HOME!!!! Hes not really friendly but I took out a cereal bowl from my cupboard and took over a bowl full of food for him. As soon as I rattled that bowl he ran right up to me. But wouldnt let me pet him. I can not take him in here ....6dogs and 1cat and him a male ...sprayer. But what the heck is/was she thinking?!! Have a cat for 10 years and then just abandon it is just unbelievable and cruel and its getting cold out.I hate to call the shelter on her as she has enough problems with her husband suddenly taken ill but I dont know what to do for (Jacks) as he wont survive the winter outside.Id love to catch him and take him to her new apartment.
patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

:( :( :( :evil: I simply cannot fathom such heartless cruelty. How can one possibly own an animal for 10 years and then turn around and abandon them to the elements? What kind of heart does this person have??????? I don't get it. I hope you can get the cat to a shelter wingnut. I certainly understand your agony.
lazygardner

Post by lazygardner »

I hate to say it, but you better get the shelter or animal control to get Jacks. They most liekly won't do anything about the humans involved, anyway, and euthanasia is better than slowly freezing to death. (I nearly said 'starve to death', but I know you would never allow that to happen.) I can give you names of no-kill shelters, but I have never had luck with getting any cats in to any of them. Livingston County Humane Society might put you on their waiting list, but I don't know if they will do that for someone outside the county, and then, what happens to Jacks while you wait? I wish I still had room. Bengal, dHaven and Janet from NH can probably give you more ideas. A couple questions: Are you sure he sprays? Is he spayed? Is he an indoor/outdoor kitty?
Before criticizing someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them you will be a mile away and have their shoes!
putnamgardens

Post by putnamgardens »

I bet it happens more than we'll ever know. I had a neighbor who sold their house and the dog went to the new owners of the house. Actually the dog first started off in the house next to theirs. After this little puppy grew into a doberman mix and too big for the original family, the house next door took in "Mia". Then that home owner sold and left the dog in the fenced enclosed yard. I used to go there and provide h20 and food. When the new home owners moved in, the dog stayed. Cats are survivors. A domestic cat can have a hard time fending for itself. I agree it would be more humane to get the cat in shelter. I would use the same live trap we use for racoons, woodchucks and squirrels and bait it with cat food. I liked your idea about delivering the cat to the apartment but they probably don't allow pets. I know we bought our home cuz we had a cat in an apartment that did not allow pets. I'm so glad the cat had us buy our home, early. Later, Love, Lisa
Have I mentioned lately that my drinking team has a hosta problem?
Lionitus

Post by Lionitus »

As I sit here reading the gut-wrenching post, my Nicky is right next to the keyboard. The same thing happened to him and that's how he became ours. He too was sitting on the porch waiting for them to come home. What heartless, sorry excuses for human beings. It brings me to tears. The least your neighbor could have done was drive him to the pound. Idiot. I realize she's in a bad way too but it is still her responsibility. Poor Jacks.

Is it possible for you to capture him and just transport him to the local animal shelter? I know it's a hard thing to do. I'm so sorry you have to deal with this and Bless You for giving him food and being concerned about him. Man, I wish I could do something for you and him. It just makes me so angry. Poor animals are at our mercy and count on us. Is there anyone at all in the neigborhood who might be interested in caring for him? In our city we have a veterinarian who spays and neuters(?) for free for people who capture strays and bring them to him. Maybe there's a vet nearby that does the same thing?

Our Nicky was one of the lucky ones because we were able to take him in at that time. I'm really, really hoping and praying for the best for Jacks. Let us know what happens.

Thank you for caring.
Lionitus
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

Well today I took him some more food,he;d cleaned up that big bowl Id left for him yesterday. I shook the bowl and he talked back to me in a soft little voice and actually let me pet him. When he trusts me enough I will crate him up and do something with him.......humanely. I dont know about the shelter as they do destroy after so long and I think the poor cat deserves better than that. Yeah I like the idea of taking him to her apartment and putting him right in her car so that when she gets into it in the morning she cant miss him!! Wonder if she still keeps the doors unlocked :-? :lol: My luck,,,,Id get caught by the police and it;d be me going to the clinker.

She took her little dog with her and its about the same age so I know they allow animals.

Well shouldve known theyd do this .......they also cut the railing off the front deck and took it too!!!!!!! :o
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Oh man, I just can not imagine someone having a cat for 10 years and leaving it like that without even trying to do something for him...that would be like me just leaving Curtis when/if we move......I understand them having a hard time.....Does she even love him? This reminds me of way back when I was going through my divorce with the first DH....We had two dogs.....DD and I were in the process of moving to an apartment....we still had 8 year old Murphy....I could not find a home for him...no one wanted him, for he was not good with kids...(just DD) and he was a barker...He just loved ME....But I surely didn't just LEAVE him at the house....No, I did all I could and then when it was time to move and I could take him I got him all groomed, Cried for days, then took him to the human society....THAT WAS THE HARDEST THING I EVER DID, I think.....He looked at me while they took him away, and man did I tie on a good one that night....Oh man, that killed me for a long time, but if he did get put to sleep, at least he was not hunger/cold....It was the best I could do at the time....People just make me sick who do what your neighbor did.....I am sorry for going on, and I thank-you for feeding him and caring, also....Poor thing, please let us know what happens....

(((Huggs to you)))
bengal

Post by bengal »

I will hunt down a list of rescue groups and no-kill shelters for you. It's too late now for me to even think straight--I should 'a been to bed hours ago. If you don't hear from me within a couple of days, please PM me! In the interim, I think you should continue to bring her food and bowls of fresh water.
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

So sad :cry: But I certainly wouldn't take the animal back to her, as she'd never care for it the way it needs obviously. Sounds like our current neighbors who tie their new puppy they got from the pound up in the yard (She's actually 8 months old). Uncontrollable, or out of control, so no one wants to spend time with her to help learn control. She's just dying for attention. I was going to post and ask someone how to teach her, so maybe she'd have a chance.
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Justme

Post by Justme »

Too many people believe that cats will always find a way to take care of themselves if they get left alone, so that makes abanding them O.K..

Can't grasp taking care of an animal for 10 years an just leaving it though :evil: Pets are your children (4 legged) that never grow up and become independent! If one can't make that committment then don't get the pet.

I adore my adopted shelter kitty, Kanga. She is the sweetest, most loving animal I have ever owned. Breaks my heart that she was dumpped at the shelter for being pregnant (that is the former owners fault!! :evil: ) and sat there for almost 2 years.

Tami
My Hosta List
It is always something
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Last I knew our shelter charged for dropping off animals, and that's why we had/have so many strays. It's truly sad. Plus they only go after or take calls to remove strays from 10am-4pm. HA! I'll keep the money I would have donated to rescue animals myself and find homes and/or find a shelter for them :(
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

Wingnut, can you see if maybe a neighbor would take him in? There might be someone who is willing if they knew about the problem.

Ginger
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Oh, how sad for poor Jacks. We get cats dumped here a lot, because people think they will find food on a farm. Cats that have been fed and cared for indoors usually don't make it outside. I guess I would like to believe that this family might not have done such a thing under better circumstances. Sometimes you just can't deal with everything that comes at you, and maybe that's what happened here? Anyway, I'm so glad that you are looking after him, and I know you'll do your best for him.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

I guess you are right Linda. Although when someone responds this way (allowing an animal to starve to death) while under pressure or stressed certainly says something to me about how they would respond in other stressful situations, and I for one, wouldn't want to have them as a neighbor if something happened like what the south is going through now!

Sad excuse for a human who dosen't care for something when they took on the responsible to begin with.
petal*pusher

Post by petal*pusher »

Grrrr.....such a sad way for that cat to live!

I sure agree.....I wouldn't take him back to her; obviously she does NOT want the responsibility of taking care of him.

We almost always have at least one old cat hanging around our house each winter. I see these old fellas in the neighborhood during summer months.....not really belonging to anyone, but just kind of hovering in the background. When I realize there's one staying in the bushes out front, we put food out. I'm sure the bird feeders out back tempt them to OUR yard!

Even in cold Michigan winters, they survive if shelter can be found. We usually put straw down in the window well, then place a board across the top to keep snow out. The cats get used to us peeking at them thru the window! Just can't let 'em starve!

Bless your heart for looking after this old soul!.....p :wink:
Garden_of_Mu
USDA Zone: 7

Post by Garden_of_Mu »

Poor guy. I hope he finds a good home where he won't be abandoned. I could never do that. I would be like those folks in New Orleans refusing to evacuate if they had to leave their pet behind. Even in the worst of cicumstances I couldn't abandon one of my kitties. They are family. Good luck with your efforts to help him.
~ Mike

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don’t
matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Theodore Geisel, aka Dr.
Seuss
New Topic Post Reply