New kittens

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

Linda P

New kittens

Post by Linda P »

My grandkids found some orphaned kittens in the barn this summer. They fed them in their snug little nest up in the haymow until it was time for school to start, and then we got a refrigerator box at the appliance store in town, and we moved the 2 surviving babies into my workshop (aka 'the chicken house'). I've been looking after them out there ever since. They have now been let out of the box, and are free to wander around in my shop. The poor things were nearly starved when the kids found them. Momma kitty was a feral cat, I don't know if she was dumped or just found her way to the barn. DH fed her there, and she reciprocated by catching mice for him. I don't know what happened to her.
At any rate, the kitties are now growing and quite healthy, and they're so sweet. The yellow boy is CJ (for Curious Jorge...I call him Jorge) and the tabby girl is Gypsy. Yesterday when DGD was here with my grandog Roxie, she brought the kittens in the house for a face-to-face with the pup. Here are some pics of the encounter.
Linda P
Attachments
Oh, NO!  I think it spotted me!
Oh, NO! I think it spotted me!
You think I'm coming out of here?  With that..that...that BEAST out there?
You think I'm coming out of here? With that..that...that BEAST out there?
CJ chair Oct 10.JPG (16.51 KiB) Viewed 1191 times
If we stay up here, I don't think that thing can get us.
If we stay up here, I don't think that thing can get us.
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

:D
Attachments
Don't worry, li'l sis, I'll protect you.
Don't worry, li'l sis, I'll protect you.
Did I get too close?  I don't know..I don't think they really do want to play. Something sharp just hit my nose!
Did I get too close? I don't know..I don't think they really do want to play. Something sharp just hit my nose!
Maybe if I lay low and look non-threatening, they'll come down and play with me.
Maybe if I lay low and look non-threatening, they'll come down and play with me.

My Hosta List
patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Linda, those pictures are priceless!! I especially love the last one. :lol: :lol: The kittens are too cute! You know now that you've let them into the house that you have a couple of forever housecats! :wink:
Is Roxie the abandoned puppy from last summer? What a cutie!
Snow

Post by Snow »

Lol - those last two pictures are especially cute :lol:
~*Snow*~
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Good to see Roxie respecting the cats. Introducing them while they are young is a smart thing to do. I know all cats aren't natural mousers. How much is genetic, and how much is taught by the momma cat?
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

:lol: How cute!!! Thanks!! :D
PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

LOL! Great pictures Linda! Thanks for letting us meeting Gypsy and Jorge!
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

I forgot to mention that my grandaughter Becca took the kitten pics. I was outside when she brought the kittens in or I would probably have been a little nervous about it. We call Becca the cat whisperer. She can usually catch and tame any cat, no matter how wild. (She wasn't able to tame the kittens momma, no matter how much she tried, and I can't think of any other cat that she has tried to tame and failed). It's really cool to watch her. She's done this since she was about 2 or 3 years old. She will just squat down somewhere in the vicinity of the cat, looking towards it but not at it, and not move a muscle. She is very patient. She tamed some wild kittens one year, when she was about 6 or 7. It took her weeks. Each day she will get a little closer, and she begins to talk to them softly, sometimes mewing at them and making a purring sound. She's 12 now, and she hasn't lost her touch with animals. This summer she helped to sort some cows, and really impressed our friend who was here. He was blown away by how she moves around among the animals and they aren't frightened by her. My sister has the same ability, expecially with dogs,to the extent that her mother in law wonders if she was actually raised by dogs.
Anyway, Roxie did really, really well with the kittens. She didn't chase them, even when they got down and hid under the chair. She lives with a cat at home. They run through the house chasing one another, and wrestle around the floor until the cat gets tired of it. You can see from the expression on her face that she really wanted to play, but she stayed back.
OED, I don't know about the mousing. Some cats seem to be born to catch mice, and others are born to rule their households. I have one who does both. :lol:
Linda P

My Hosta List
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Too funny how the hair is raised on their backs in that last pic! Great shots by your dd :)

Dd has an 6 month old kitten who still dosen't get along with our cats or like the dogs. He's been raised alone, but we've tried them together to no avail.

I'm thinking perhaps it's be/c HE's a male is outnumbered by 2 F. Cats and 2 F. Dogs :) Probably dh would get along with him better. But he's the sweetest thing with me when I'm over there at her place!
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Wonderful pics! Those kittens and Roxie are all adorable. :)
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Lionitus

Post by Lionitus »

Too cute. I'm this close to getting a new kitty or two myself. If it weren't for Zippy's cancer I'd do it today. Our house seems so empty and lonely since we've lost three furkids this year. I'm used to having six animals under foot. I like my house busy that way.

You lovely little fur-family. Looks like a happy household going on!

Lionitus
Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human face.
- Victor Hugo
New Topic Post Reply