Hamster Houdinin - Bad News :(

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

doublemom2
USDA Zone: 8

Hamster Houdinin - Bad News :(

Post by doublemom2 »

The little turd did it again! Caramel managed to open the latch (again) on his litter box attachment and get out overnight. Spent 1/2 hour this morning searching everywhere for him. We even enlisted the cat to try to sniff him out. After we gave up, my girls heard scratching in the vent for our heating system.

The little brat had gotten into the vent somewhere and spent the night under the house checking out these really cool underground tunnels (i.e. where our heated air comes from).

So... when I tried to get my arm down there to get him out, he'd run away every time. I was finally able to get ahold of him, lying on the floor with my arm down the heating vent up to my shoulder. When I pulled him out and put him into his cage, he gave me a "So what's the big deal?" look, proceeded to eat an almond, and then groom himself.

Oh.... this little escapee is going to add gray hairs to my head LOL!

Andi
Attachments
Hamster1.jpg
Last edited by doublemom2 on Oct 24, 2005 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Too funny! I could just see you doing that....In this house, he wouldn't have come out so pretty...:lol:
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

BK (Before kids) I was given a couple of gerbils. I came home from work about 2 in the morning with DW sitting up in bed with all three of our then, big, outside dogs with her. She kept hearing noises all through the house. Apparently the critters got in the duct work. I lowered there house down the cold air return, and the next day, both were curled up in it. Easy catch.
With 4-5 of those little fuzzballs, you could probably make a nice sandwich. :eek: :eek: JKN! :D :D
Kas

Post by Kas »

Andi, my mom can relate. I used to have mice. 21 was my largest total at one time. We kept them in two cages, one for girls and one for boys. One night my mom came in and woke me up. "Kas, it's a boy. Which cage does it go in?" I showed her. Then she asked me, "Well, don't you want to know where I found it?" "Sure." She told me it was on Daddy's chest! He woke her up with, "Sally, there is a rat on my chest." Mama told him, "No there isn't. Go back to sleep." "Sally, there is a RAT on my CHEST!" So she turned on the light and sure enough, there was the little fella. My dad had tried to smush it and had missed. Thank goodness! The best part of the story is that after she told me the story, I just said, "Oh." And went right back to sleep! I didn't even remember in the morning. I am still like that! Andi, here's hoping the little bugger stays put!

Kas
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; and inside a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

They are little escape artists! I had one that could open the top of his cage when I was young. Had to put a can of vegetables on top of the cage so he could not push it open.

I am thinking some duct tape or bailing wire will fix that right up! (DH say's you can fix anything with duct tape and bailing wire :lol: :lol: )

Ginger
doublemom2

Post by doublemom2 »

Well, last night he started acting really weird, couldn't stand up straight or open his eyes. I figured he must have munched on something bad while he was down in the vent system, maybe plastic or insulation, and had gotten poisoned somehow :(

Anyhow, I spent the entire night awake knowing what I would find in the morning, and knowing I'd have to get my daughter up for school and tell her that her hamster was dead.

She was sooooo devastated, she spent 2 1/2 hours crying (and of course I cried right along with her) She INSISTED on burying him herself, then she took apart his entire cage and scrubbed it all clean by herself, said it was something that she just had to do.

Since she missed part of school anyway, she asked if we could go to the pet store to pick out another one. We got a pretty young one, very active and cute and very easy to handle, and he's moved into the cage very well. Still... I have that "drained" feeling that you get after a good long cry, and this was just a little rodent that we hadn't even had for two months!

Booo :(

Andi
Andi
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Awwww, how sad..... :(

Did you wire that cage now? Just do it, even though this one might now be the same....

Good luck with the new one.....I feel bad that your daughter had to loose the escape artist.......Poor thing.....(((Huggs)))
patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

Awwwwww poor little guy. I'm sorry you and your daughter had to go through this. :( I hope your new hamster isn't such an escape artist. From our experience, some lived to get out and some were content to stay put.
If this one gets out you might consider using a glass acquarium with a lid that you buy just for that purpose. Not as fancy and fun as the habitrail type but certainly more secure.
doublemom2

Post by doublemom2 »

And to boot... Our elderly neighbor who used to babysit my girls when they were much younger died tonight. His common-law wife knocked on our door at 8 and said she couldn't wake him up. They're both elderly and in very very bad health. I checked his breathing and pulse and called 9-1-1, then spent two hours digging through his mail and bills and address book to find any of his family to notify. Got ahold of people, but it's been a very very long night so far. My kids are both a bit shaken up by it all.

Phew.... I'm going to bed, but don't think I'm going to get much sleep.
Andi
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

((((((Andi)))))
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Andy, what a rough time for you. It was wonderful of you to go to the trouble you did for your neighbors. I guess that would be a good reason for everyone to post a contact name and number in a prominent spot.
Sorry about the hamster. My grown-up, married-with- children DD lost her teddybear hamster last spring. He was also an escape artist, and despite her best efforts he got out one final time and has not been seen again. She got another one, and he has never gotten out of the cage, but he isn't quite as engaging as the other little fella was either.
Good luck with the new little guy, and get some sleep, okay?
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

{{Oh Andi and dd}} so sorry about the rough times. Hugs too all.
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

Oh Andi, I'm so sorry to hear about your little escape artist and your neighbor. You get some rest... sounds like you could use some!
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Oh my...how very sad. :( You've had it rough , Andi, and I'm very sorry about the hamster and your neighbor. I'll keep you all in my prayers and hope that brighter days are just around the corner.
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
jmboyer

Post by jmboyer »

Andi, I am so sorry to hear that you lost Caramel. What a sweet little guy he was. And then to go through so much with your neighbor's passing--what an ordeal that must have been for you. I hope the new little one brings you and your kids some comfort.
oldcoot

What a story

Post by oldcoot »

Sorry you didn't remember it ! (OC has the SAME problem, ony during the day) What a site to see,,,,,,,,,,,John :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
New Topic Post Reply