10 Most Popular Dogs

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

PeggyC

10 Most Popular Dogs

Post by PeggyC »

From the AKC site:

New York, NY — For the 16th consecutive year, the Labrador Retriever is the most popular purebred dog in America, according to AKC® registration figures released today. The Golden Retriever held onto the number two spot and the Yorkshire Terrier made significant gains — beating the German Shepherd Dog and Beagle — to become the third most popular dog in the country.

Dog lovers will have the opportunity to watch these popular breeds and many others compete at the AKC/Eukanuba National Championship, which airs live January 14 and 15, 2006 on Animal Planet and The Discovery Channel at 8pm both nights.

"This may be the Year of the Dog in China , but in this country it's the 'Year of the Yorkie'," said Gail Miller, AKC spokesperson. "The Lab may still reign supreme, but the petite and often-pampered Yorkshire Terrier has taken the coveted number three spot for the first time since becoming AKC -recognized in 1885. Considering the increasing popularity of small dogs in the past decade—perhaps due to their exposure as celebrity companions – I'm not surprised to learn that this precious and portable canine may slip into the number two slot in 2006."

2005 Most Popular Dogs in U.S.

Labrador Retriever (137,867)
Golden Retriever (48,509)
Yorkshire Terrier (47,238)
German Shepherd Dog (45,014)
Beagle (42,592)
Dachshund (38,566)
Boxer (37,268)
Poodle (31,638)
Shih Tzu (28,087)
Miniature Schnauzer (24,144)
The Miniature Schnauzer, which hasn't been in the "Top 10" since 1990, wags its way into 10th place this year, displacing the popular Chihuahua, which drops to 11th place.

The trend in small dogs continues to be evident with increases in the following breeds over the past 10 years — Cavalier King Charles Spaniel (735%), French Bulldog (305%), Brussels Griffon (231%) and Papillon (132%). Yet, a few larger breeds have also experienced record growth including the Wirehaired Pointing Griffon (124%) and Ibizan Hound (141%).

At the other end of the spectrum, the English Foxhound is again the least-registered purebred dog (22 registrations) followed by the Harrier (42), Otterhound (44), American Foxhound (48) and the newly AKC-recognized Glen of Imaal Terrier (49).

Surprisingly, the Otterhound, which is the third least registered dog in the U.S., experienced the highest percentage growth of all dogs over the past year with an increasing of 91%. Registrations increased or remained steady in 2005 for 55 other breeds as well, including the Sussex Spaniel (73%), Ibizan Hound (56%), Black and Tan Coonhound (41%) and Bedlington Terrier (32%).
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Interesting Peg.....Thanks!! I will mark my calendar.....Hope that the Sunday Bears game won't be in the way..... :lol:
Deb118

Post by Deb118 »

Very interesting, Peg. Thanks!
At least one of my breeds made the list. I have 3 Shih Tzu's.
Personally, Collies are MY favorite. I have had one my entire life. (Not the same one :lol: ) I've got Hunter now. Now, I've taken to Shelties, so I can have one inside with me. Well... 2 :lol: Chopper and Belle. Their such a cute couple. :D
"Hold fast to dreams for if dreams die, life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly." -Langston Hughes
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

Boxers made the list :D Yeah Boxers!!

Ginger
patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

Interesting list! Interesting about the English and American Foxhounds and the Harrier Hound being the least registered. I've always thought they all looked like Beagles. :lol:
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

The down side of a dog becomming to popular is that it get's harder to get a really good one with all the people out ther that just breed to make a couple of bucks.
Anothe cool "top ten" site. Having been involved with dog training most of my life, I don't necessarily agree with some of the placements on certain breeds. The Australlian Shepherd for example. I've trained, or helped train dozens of them and feel they should be WAY higher than their placement on this list. Hard to argue with the top 5-6 though.
www.petrix.com/dogint/index.html
PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

I can certainly speak for the Australian Shepherds... and I agree OED that I believe they are great dogs. Smart, willing, great personalities, and loyal to a fault to their family. But... if they have good herding instincts, everyday activities can become a problem. :o For instance, children running and playing can cause this breed's instincts to kick in, and then you have a dog who is herding and nipping at their heels. :eek: I had to kennel mine more than once. :lol: :eek: :o
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

Thanks Peg! :D I watched it last night. I missed the Toy Breeds but they immediately replayed the program and I got to see them. :cool:
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
New Topic Post Reply