Meet Gizzard the Lizard

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

Annie
USDA Zone: 5

Meet Gizzard the Lizard

Post by Annie »

Well here is a new pet for me LOL. He/she is really cute. I named it Gizzard. Gizzard is a Bearded Dragon.
Not a very good pic but didn't want to mess with him to much as I just got him and want him to settle in a bit more.
Attachments
Gizzard Lizardmgi.jpg
Gizzard Lizardmgi.jpg (22.68 KiB) Viewed 2404 times
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
Squash Blossom

Post by Squash Blossom »

In a hundred, million, billion, ka-zillion years you'd have never found a better name than "Gizzard"!! :lol: That guy looks like he knows he's fixin' to take over...just as soon as he gets the lay of the land.

What a cute pet! I watch the lizards in my yard and have found it kinda' interesting how they interact with each other and their surroundings. The little chameleon lizards are the most curious, nosey little characters...and so territorial.

I have a little statue on my patio of a child or maybe a fairy holding an open book. For months the same chameleon lizard has stretched-out and slept on the book almost every night. I've missed him the past two nights and can't help wondering what's happened to him.

Ann
To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

Okay, I have to ask, Has Travis seen Gizzard :o

How many critters do you have now Annie? I can think of dogs, fish, bunnies and now a lizard. What else am I missing :lol:

He is kind of cool looking. Doe he puff out his cheeks like some lizards do?

Ginger
Annie

Post by Annie »

LOL Gizzard just seem to fit :lol:

Um no Travis ain't seen him yet. I have Gizzard up where he can't see him. Don't even know it's there LOL.

MMM let's see,
2 dogs
2 cats
1 bird
3 fish tanks
1 lizard
Pond fish

The bunny isn't really mine (right!) It really belongs to my neice, i'm babysitting :wink:

I think thats about it :o

But anyway here is a better pic of Gizzard.
He is very friendly and loves crickets EWWWWW.
Attachments
Gizz the Liz mgi.jpg
Gizz the Liz mgi.jpg (48.64 KiB) Viewed 2379 times
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
Justaysam

Post by Justaysam »

He is really cute, but that last one scared me a bit.
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Very :cool: :cool: :cool: ! If possible, try to vary his diet. That will keep him a lot healthier! There are also supliments that you can dust the crickets with. :wink:
Annie

Post by Annie »

Oh he isn't scary at all, maybe to look at that pic LOL.
He is only about 6" long from head to tail. He is a tiny lil fella. For now anyway.

I have the powder to dust on the crickets, for his calcium and vits. He will also get his veggies. I have to get him started on them first.

Told my sister (she got one same time I did) who was with me I would rather have a snake. But I did take into consideration my hubby who really really don't like them :D
Also I don't like feeding fuzzy animals to other things. But I was looking at a Green snake and they eat bugs too.

My fav snakes are the King snakes, the are soooooo pretty!! But then again ya have to feed mice to them, don't think I have it in me to do that :lol:

~~Annie~~
Bev

Post by Bev »

I love those little guys. Great pics Annie!
Bev

Post by Bev »

Giz & Spike send hellos your way Annie!!! :lol: :lol:
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

How did I miss this? Annie, you are a true pet-lover! My grandson had a komodo dragon for years, and finally it outgrew the largest tank they could fit in his room. It went to live with a cousin, and the last I heard it was reeeeeeeeally big. For some reason that I never figured out, he named it Joanna. (Gizzard is kinda cute, in a lizardly way)
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
scootersbear

Post by scootersbear »

Forget the crickets, too much shell and not enough nutrients...buy a few non-pest species cockroaches that don't climb glass and breed them...no buying crickets that stink up the house and no money out of the pocket except for initial purchase.
1 of my female BD's passed away 2 days ago but I'd had her for quite a few years and she did have 4 clutches of eggs for me so I still have a few of her offspring.
Annie

Post by Annie »

Linda, I don't think it was a komodo dragon those things kill people :eek: I can't think of the names of other lizard now, but there are some good size ones.

Sorry but I'm not gonna keep roaches in my house LOL!
Ain't gonna happen :o No way, no how. I only get enough crickets for a few days. I don't like the crickets either but I know when Gizzard gets older he won't eat nearly as many crickets, more greens, thats why I decided on a Bearded Dragon :)

Thanks for the info OED, I do dust them. Kinda like "Shake and Bake" :roll:

~~Annie~~
scootersbear

Post by scootersbear »

Roaches are so misunderstood :D You might have no choice to feed insects though...I've raised and breed over 400 BD'S and many of them just won't eat greens as much as you'd like. With as many as I have I really had no choice to turn to roaches as feed and in a few years I think more pet stores are going to turn to them since they are such a superior food source over crickets which have nearly no nutritional value . and they can breed there own...if you continue using crickets just remember it's important to feed them a healthy diet as well since they are going to be in your lizards belly...plus do your homework on the dust you use some are worse to give to your lizard than none at all.
a few of my BD's

http://gallery.pethobbyist.com/data/250 ... 01-med.jpg

http://gallery.pethobbyist.com/data/250 ... 05-med.jpg

http://gallery.pethobbyist.com/data/250 ... 02-med.jpg

http://gallery.pethobbyist.com/data/250 ... 02-med.jpg
scootersbear

Post by scootersbear »

Annie

Post by Annie »

Yep I have read all about the good stuff on the roaches, as far as feeding them........nope still aint gonna happen :o I have been researching them since before I got Gizzard. I do want to keep him happy and healthy.
I really like him too! He started eating his greens! And of course his crickets.

Like I said it was a tie between a BD and a snake of some sort. I really like the corn snakes too! But like I said earlier really don't want to feed fuzzy animals to something :o
And besides my hubby really don't like snakes :D
Thanks for the links, but I think I have them, or most of them saved.

Still might get a snake later on, corn snake!

~~Annie~~
scootersbear

Post by scootersbear »

the links are some of my critters
Annie

Post by Annie »

Well they are cute lil critters! I have most of the BD sites saved LOL. So are all those links your personal ones? If so guess I don't have those :D

~~Annie~~
scootersbear

Post by scootersbear »

Just a few pics of my critters..it would take days to put them all up...breeding herps for 25 years you tend to get a few...I didn't even bother putting up the Blue Tongue Skink..Savanah Monitor..desert iguana...I could keep going but it would be boring reading...It's just nice to see others getting involved in herps...I remember my first show about 15 years ago about 20 people showed up and maybe 3 actually had an interest, the others were just wondering what was going on...now when I do a show 100's if not 1000's of people show up..an not for courisity...I bought my first BD 16 years ago...Gypsy...he lived 12 years....so they can be with you a long time...
Lionitus

Post by Lionitus »

Annie, I think he's so cool. I'm one of the few people I know who isn't scared of lizzards, snakes, spiders, etc. I love his face. My husband kept lizzards when he was a boy and he really loves them.

Every time I go down to my basement there are at least two toads plastered on the windows looking in. They live in the window wells. I love looking at them. I mention this because they remind me of your lizzard. Or I should say your lizzard makes me think of them.

Best of luck with Gizzard!
Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human face.
- Victor Hugo
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Hi Annie!!

Boy, that is some critter.....Great pictures!! Cute name, too!!!! :cool:
New Topic Post Reply