Another Old Friend Gone

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

PeggyC

Another Old Friend Gone

Post by PeggyC »

My sheltie, Witchy, disappeared last Wednesday night and has never returned home and I can only believe that she went off somewhere to die. We've searched the countryside, checked the newspaper and called the humane society but I've given up hope as no one would ever be able to catch her except me, she doesn't trust strangers and would never go to a house for food.

I took this little girl as a rescue from the local vet when the vet told me she would be put down unless I took her and oh by the way, she has been abused and was running free for three months before animal control finally caught her. :o Okay, yea, and she went home with me after she'd been spayed and had all her shots. First day home, she bit Dale and I both. :???: And after that it was a long road... whenever either of us raised our voice she went and hid, if you rustled the newspaper she went and hid, and you certainly couldn't bribe her with food. :( Two years of utter frustration and I was ready to throw up my hands and give up. But wait, let's try dog obedience classes. I thought they went very well but when I told her background, the instructor told me she would probably never come around and be a normal dog and would certainly never play with me. Well, those classes somehow clicked with her. After that, she came immediately to me when called, could be bribed with food, started wanting you to touch her and coming to me to be loved and she wanted to PLAY! She really never got over being kinda weird but that's OK cause DH and I understood and we learned how to be patient. She will always have a special place in my heart and I miss her terribly! :cry:
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

Aww Peg, I am so sorry. I wish you could find her so you at least know something, and if it was me, I would want to bury her close by so I could visit. (((Peg)))

Ginger
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

(((((Peg)))))
I'm sorry to hear you've lost your friend. It's so hard when you don't know what has really happened to her. I've been in that situation more than once with farm dogs. You look for her for a long time, and you always wonder. I'm so glad that she found you, and you gave her the love and affection she needed. I do hope that you find out what happened to her so you can bring her home.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

I know that awful feeling of not knowing too. I feel so sorry for you and your DH, Peg. My prayers are with you both. (((Peg)))
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

Oh Peg, I'm so so sorry! I know the pain of waiting and looking and watching and then giving up hope......but still thinking JUST MAYBE she'll come home someday. I truly hope you find out what happened to her so you can put your mind at ease. I do remember Witchy being so scared of us at your house and barking the whole time we were there. I didn't know her whole story then. Poor little girl. :(
I know she holds a special place in your heart. ((HUG))
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Peg, I'm so sorry to hear about your Witchy. I hope that she will find her way back to you and hubs. {HUGS}

Debbie

doublemom2
USDA Zone: 8

Post by doublemom2 »

So sorry to hear about her Peg, but know that you did so much more for her than many people would have done!!! I'm so glad there are people out there like you who just won't give up and will take care of animals that need a special home. ((((HUGS)))) to you and your family,
Andi
Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
Annie
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Annie »

Such awful news!
I couldn't stand not knowing where she was :cry: We lost a dog years ago but we were lucky and heard him whimpering, he was sitting in the woods lost, not far from our house. It was terrible feeling, not knowing! I do hope you find her!!!
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
Snow

Post by Snow »

I had a dear, dear old kitty disappear years ago, and never knew what happened. Broke my heart. I'm so sorry, Peg :(
~*Snow*~
Justaysam

Post by Justaysam »

I'm so sorry Peg. It sounds like you did a heck of a job with her while she was with you! I hope she comes home safe and sound. She sounds like a survivor! Maybe she just took off after something and it has held her attention for awhile. Best wishes.
petal*pusher

Post by petal*pusher »

Wish I could say something that would patch up that big hole in your heart, my friend.....p :(
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

OMG, I am so sad for you!!!! Hugs to you for taking her in and giving her all that love when no one else would have done it.....Oh man, not knowing where she is would be killing me.....You poor thing, Peg.....I hope you do find her to bury her......if not, she is for sure over the rainbow with all the others.....bless her heart and yours and DH's.....:cry:

Huggs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
janet

Post by janet »

Add my hugs to the pile, Peg. As a fellow Sheltie-person, I feel your pain all the more. There is no other breed quite like them, that's for sure! I wish you peace and comfort.
jd in nh
janet's list
It is well to remember that the entire universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others. --John Andrew Holmes
Deb118

Post by Deb118 »

(((Peg)))
My Sheltie, Chopper, was gone for 5 1/2 days two weeks ago.(he's home now) I know what you are going through. That 'not knowing' is a living hell. :oops: :oops:
"Hold fast to dreams for if dreams die, life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly." -Langston Hughes
Lionitus

Post by Lionitus »

I'm so sorry Peg. (((((Peg)))))
Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human face.
- Victor Hugo
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

Awwwwwwww how touching. What a great way to remember her. I hear so much of older dogs wandering away from their homes that have never done it before. Wonder what sends them on that journey?
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

(((((((Peg))))))) I'm so sorry. :cry: It's terrible not knowing.
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
New Topic Post Reply