Don't feed grapes to dogs!!!

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

Becky in TN

Don't feed grapes to dogs!!!

Post by Becky in TN »

I got this as an email. My daighter feeds her dog grapes because he loves them. Sent this to her and thought others might benefit from it too.
Becky in TN

Listen Up!!!!!!!

Written by:
Laurinda Morris, DVM
Danville Veterinary Clinic
Danville , Ohio

This week I had the first case in history of raisin toxicity ever seen at MedVet. My patient was a 56-pound, 5 yr old male neutered lab mix that ate half a canister of raisins sometime between 7:30 AM and 4:30 PM on Tuesday. He started with vomiting, diarrhea and shaking about 1AM on Wednesday but the owner didn't call my emergency service until 7AM.

I had heard somewhere about raisins AND grapes causing acute Renal failure but hadn't seen any formal paper on the subject. We had her bring the dog in immediately. In the meantime, I called the ER service at MedVet, and the doctor there was like me - had heard something about it, but.... Anyway, we contacted the ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center and they said to give IV fluids at 1 ½ times maintenance and watch the kidney values for the next 48-72 hours.

The dog's BUN (blood urea nitrogen level) was already at 32 (normal less than 27) and creatinine over 5 (1.9 is the high end of normal). Both are monitors of kidney
function in the bloodstream. We placed an IV catheter and started the fluids. Rechecked the renal values at 5 PM and the BUN was over 40 and creatinine over 7 with no urine production after a liter of fluids. At the point I felt the dog was in acute renal failure and sent him on to MedVet for a urinary catheter to monitor urine output overnight as well as overnight care.

He started vomiting again overnight at MedVet and his renal values have continued to incr ease daily. He produced urine when given lasix as a diuretic. He was on 3 different anti-vomiting medications and they still couldn't control his vomiting. Today his urine output decreased again, his BUN was over 120, his creatinine was at 10, his phosphorus was very elevated and his blood pressure, which had been staying around 150, skyrocketed to 220.. He continued to vomit and the owners elected to
euthanize.

This is a very sad case - great dog, great owners who had no idea raisins could be a toxin. Please alert everyone you know who has a dog of this very serious risk. Poison control said as few as 7 raisins or grapes could be toxic. Many people I know give their dogs grapes or raisins as treats including our ex-handler's. Any exposure should give rise to immediate concern.

Laurinda Morris, DVM
Danville Veterinary Clinic
Danville , Ohio
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

I have never heard this so I checked Snopes and it is true.

Thanks for the warning!

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

I knew this too, but it's always good to be reminded....

Thanks!!!! :D
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

thanks for the warning! That is tragic! :cry:
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
Squash Blossom

Post by Squash Blossom »

There are so many things we all have in and around our homes that are potentially toxic to dogs and cats. Google "plants toxic to dogs and/or cats" and you may be shocked. Onions can cause a life-threatening anemia, table scraps can easily cause life-threatening pancreatitis, etc.

A beautiful young dog died here recently after briefly chewing on the roots of a Sago palm the owner was transplanting.

Ann
To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Oh my goodness! My kitty LOVES Tomato and mushrooms! This is NOT good! Thank YOU so much for telling us this information, both of you!
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Squash Blossom

Post by Squash Blossom »

I don't know that the general public realizes how toxic chocolate is to dogs.

I heard one tragic story at PugVillage about a pug dying after consuming one or two cigarettes it found in a maid's open purse. And, there have been several reports about pugs or other dogs in someone's home consuming prescription drugs...often left on nightstands or within easy reach, often by unthinking houseguests.

Then, again, late one night a lady came on PV frantic because her pug had consumed her hearing aid, batteries and everything!! Luckily, that case had a successful ending...so to speak! :wink:
To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Oh I remember well, when dd had a temp hearing loss resulting in hearing aids. The tech told us to be VERY careful about them around the dogs b/c they love ear wax :eek: and would eat them!

But I have to admit. I had one dog that would have M&M treats when I ate them. Never had many, a few, but she never had any symptoms from that.

Same dog ate an entire large box (tin foil and some plastic packaging) of digel out of dh's suitcase. After that he finally realized why he had to Zip it up! This dog would go through my purse if she found and take out a bag of m&m's, lay with it between her paws and pull at the top of the wrapper with her teeth till it was yucky and opened. Of course, but this time I found her and the M&M's and stopped her, but she was being so quiet and gentle with them, I had to laugh! The bag as intact except for the very top! :lol:
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Snow

Post by Snow »

I did not know this about grapes and I very much appreciate the heads-up.
~*Snow*~
New Topic Post Reply