Our Kayla is sick

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

hostaholic

Our Kayla is sick

Post by hostaholic »

Our 13 1/2 year old Malamute Kayla displayed sudden symptoms tonight after eating her dry Iams with a little pork fat. We usually go for a walk and she knows her que well. She wouldn't move and her eyes seemed fixed. Paul tried brushing her as she'll only take that so long and she bolts. She just layed there. She tried to get her self up, walked in a circle, stumbled and collapsed. I know with a large breed we're lucky to have had her this long. She's not over weight, about 100 lbs. She gets dry Iams and green beans, always lots of water in and out of the house, and a cool place to lay. It has been very hot so we give her run of the house so she can get to the cooler rooms. We baby the heck out of her. Because of her authritis we held off getting her to the vet this spring. With our large vehicles we feared it would set her back trying to get her in and out. Now I feel horrible. I called the on call vet for the area.
We previously went to him but with a couple major mistakes in her treatment we transfered her care elsewhere.
He called us back but his aloofness made me cringe.
Paul says she is now perking up a bit..sitting up. He and the vet thinks possibly a belly ache.
Does anyone have any ideas? If I can hold off to morning and get her to our vet, I'll opt for that. I don't want that a** making things worse.
Thanks for listening,
Jen
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

How is Kayla, today?
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

HUGGSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Jen, I hope she is okay. Let us know.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

(((((Jen))))) I hope Kayla is doing better today. Please update us when you can.
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Poor Kayla!!! I hope she's better today, Jen. That is so scary to have something like that happen so suddenly.
I'll say a prayer for her. (((Jen and Kayla)))
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Thinking of you as I walk out the door with Willie....and thinking of you tomorrow. :(
hostaholic

We said goodbye today...

Post by hostaholic »

We took Kayla in early this morning after no change. We had to leave her for a while so they could run blood tests and do x-rays. They called us after a couple hours with a poor prognosis. She had a tumor 3/4 the size of a basketball in her abdomen. Her livers enzymes were off the charts, her calcium was up usually meaning cancer, her kidney enzymes were also elevated. Her blood pressure was so low they suspected internal bleeding from the tumor. This was fast growing..they think in the past month.
She was so athritic in her back and so weak they didn't think she'd survive surgery and if she did it would have a short term outcome due to her age. She was in so much pain that we decided to let her go. She sensed it I think
as we covered her with all the love we had. She laid her head in my lap and tried to get as close as she could to us.
We carried her outside in a stretcher, put her on a blanket and cradled her as she slowly slipped away. I don't think I have cried so hard since my mom died. Paul and the boys are devastated. Brandon had her his whole life. We're all just numb...the yard is so empty. I hear a noise and expect her to come around the corner wagging her tail.
They are casting her footprints, one for each of the boys.
She'll be cremated and given back to us.
I dug up as many photos as I could find tonight to scrapbook. I'll blow up a couple and frame. I remember an artist on Ebay who did pet portraits. He was so good. I think I'll try to get in touch with him soon.
Thank you for all your thoughts and prayers.
Our fur kids are our family...she was such an important part our ours.

Jen
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

(((((Jen & family)))))...typing through tears. My heart breaks for you. Our precious Jasmine is 11 this year and I know our time is growing short. I love the idea of the cast footprints and the scrapbook. Treasure you special memories. You are in my thoughts.
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
putnamgardens

Post by putnamgardens »

Lucky # 13 1/2 years. That is a testimonial to the care you've given her all these years. It's tough but sounds like she had good quality of life, right up to the end. You will be comforted by your fond memories. Green beans? Maybe I'll try that with my fussy eater. Sounds like it was healthy for Kayla. Jen, my heart is heavy knowing that she will be missed. I gotta feeling she'll inspire a memory garden. Hostas I presume. Rubber side down. Later, Love, Lisa
Have I mentioned lately that my drinking team has a hosta problem?
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

{{Jen}} and family. My heart aches, my eyes are teary and still I can't find the words that others offered last summer when we through the loss of our two girls after nearly 15 years with them.

Please know we are all hear and would love to share those pictures when you are ready to post them that you have of Kayla. She had a great family and will be waiting on the good side of that 'Rainbow Bridge' one day for each of you.

In the mean time she's romping through life in a garden of smells with my girls and all the other animals that have gone before that we all miss as much.

Give the kids {{hugs}} from us too. We'll say a prayer for your comfort in her memory.

{{hugs}}
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

:( I'm so sorry for your loss. It's so hard to say goodbye to our loyal furbabies. :(
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

(((Jen and family))) We ALL understand what it is you are feeling. The loss is nothing short of devastating. You obviously gave her the best of care and loved her dearly, and then you made the toughest decision of all at the end. And the correct decision. We would love to see pics when you are up to posting them, and anytime you need to share your feelings about your loss feel free to do so here.
My sympathies go out to you and the family on your loss. :cry:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Oh Jen....... :cry: :cry: I am so sorry!! I cry with you!!! Hugs to the kids, too!! Oh boy.....I feel terrible as I think of Ginger now......We know how you feel.....Look for that poem I posted here *I Loved You Best*.....:bawl:
Rookie_Green_Thumb

Post by Rookie_Green_Thumb »

Im so sorry for your families loss. It's very hard to let go of the ones that we have had for so long...they have a very special place in our hearts and our homes.

She sounds like she was a very loved dog, and I am sure that she felt that way. 13 years is nothing to sneeze at for a large breed dog. It's obvious that she was well cared for and loved. And much better to let her go before suffering too much. Even though its so hard on us to let them go.

R.I.P. Kayla
Jaime
Blackkat

Post by Blackkat »

Oh, how sad! I'm so sorry about Kayla. My heart goes out to you in your grief.
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

I am so sorry for you loss. Hugs to you and your family.

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

(((((((((( HUGS)))))))))) I am so sorry. :cry:

Claudia
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
Squash Blossom

Post by Squash Blossom »

That is so, so sad. I swear, for some strange reason, losing a pet upsets me more than anything else on earth. My oldest pug, Rosebud, will be 15 in January and I PRAY when the time comes, she'll die in her sleep. We had a precious old cat who lived with us for over 20 years and one afternoon he just laid down and died so quietly and gently I thought he had just fallen asleep. I want that for Rosebud and Gumdrop, who is just a tad healthier than old "Bud".

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family - I know you miss Kayla's presence in your home and the pain is almost unbearable right now. The day will come when you'll look back and you won't think about her death, you'll think about all the good times and feel happy and blessed to have had her for such a long time.

Ann
To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.
pauhaus
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by pauhaus »

So sorry to hear about Kayla. :(

Hope all the great memories will comfort you and your family. My thoughts are with you.
Paul
My Hosta List

“With fronds like you, who needs anemones.”
New Topic Post Reply