Lizards and squash blossoms

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

doublemom2
USDA Zone: 8

Lizards and squash blossoms

Post by doublemom2 »

Gizmo LOVES his squash blossoms. I planted a squash out in the veggie garden just for him, along with his dandelion patch LOL! He will just about do a back flip for a squash blossom or a dandelion flower. Is he spoiled or what???

He's definitely managed to wrap me around that spiky tail of his in the five months that we've had him. Never thought I'd see myself say that about a reptile LOL!!!!

Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
Garden_of_Mu
USDA Zone: 7

Post by Garden_of_Mu »

Reptiles are really so much more personable and interesting than most folks realize. You just have to get to know them.

Squash blossoms - yum! If ours ever get going I'm going to make some for myself. I've a recipe for squash blossom quesadillas I'm wanting to try.
~ Mike

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don’t
matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Theodore Geisel, aka Dr.
Seuss
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

As I've said before, I'm not partial in the least to 'reptiles', but I can appreciate you liking him. It's not that he's 'ugly', just not soft and cuddly like I want in a pet! :lol: Do you actually hold this guy, or just feed and watch and clean up after him? I mean, does he interact with you at all?
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
doublemom2

Post by doublemom2 »

Uromastyx aren't like bearded dragons, they don't like to be handled much, mostly because they can't be away from their heat source for very long. So they're more like "look at me because I'm cool" than "let's hang out together" kind of lizards. We knew this before we got him, though, and were okay with that.

The main reason that we got him is that he's a vegetarian. My ONE rule with Tori getting a lizard was that I wouldn't allow crickets in the house, which really narrowed things down. It was just fortunate that this guy peeped his head out of his hide at the pet store and said hello to us while I was having the employee give a very DETAILED description to Tori on how to raise and feed crickets to beardies. It was fate LOL!!!

Gizmo does let us pet him and hand feed him inside his enclosure, and he really does react, especially if he sees one of us holding a dandelion flower or squash blossom or yellow nasturtium. He comes right up to the top of his basking area and can barely wait to be hand fed his flower. He prefers it if someone's in the room with him too, likes to have human company nearby.
Andi
Squash Blossom

Post by Squash Blossom »

Hey! You scared me!! Here I am a friend to all lizards and I thought they were coming after me!!

Those are the cutest pictures.

I seem to frequently strike up acquaintances with unusual friends - this summer it is a Mockingbird who stands outside my patio door and looks in until I go outside and give him a couple of Superworms.

Ann - "Squash Blossom" :lol:
To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

I did think of you too, Squash Blossom, when I first read it! :D

Andi, I'm still not convinced I like them, but he's cute in the pictures! :D I can do pictures! :lol:
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
doublemom2

Post by doublemom2 »

Ann - I didn't think of that when I posted, sorry! Gizmo would love you too :) He likes to listen to anyone willing to sit by him and talk a while. And if you offered him an edible flower, he'd be your friend for life! :D :D :D

Andi
Andi
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

I like him! He looks like he has filled out some since you first got him. Has he, or is it just the way he looks in the picture? He's cute! :D
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
doublemom2

Post by doublemom2 »

Yep, he's filled out a lot since we got him. He was a bit skinny at first, but not too much compared to others that I've seen at pet stores. He's done great with eating the proper foods, their diet is pretty specific even though it's all vegetarian, and we're lucky he eats all of his staple greens and veggies very well.

Andi
Andi
Gruntfuttock

Post by Gruntfuttock »

He's a beauty.
Zone: This is England we don't do zones. Pick any number between 2 and 11

http://www.zyxwv.co.uk/

There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

He has good taste! We used to have fried pumpkin blossoms every summer when I was a kid. YUMMMMYY!
Annie

Post by Annie »

I think he is cool!
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
New Topic Post Reply