My four girls

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

party_music50
USDA Zone: z5

My four girls

Post by party_music50 »

Hi --

I thought I had posted photos of my girls before, but I don't find it when I search. We adopted them from the Humane Society just under a year ago. They're a blast, and they all get along great together. In case I have posted before, I'll just give a couple quickies:

I asked Morgan, Esme, MaryJane to pose for this the other day:

And here's Heidi (taken in the spring, but it's all Heidi. lol!):

I think they like it here. :)
~~~ Audrey ~~~
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good”
Dr. Seuss :)
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

They are adorable, and I love Heidi's colors and that pose. So you adopted all 4 at the same time? Were they from the same litter or did they just naturally get along that well?
party_music50

Post by party_music50 »

Thanks, Chris!

They aren't from the same litter, and we think Morgan might actually be from a different planet. 8-) Morgan was actually there with her brother....

Longer version of story: I had lost my longtime favorite cat and best gardening buddy after 18.5 years... then my sweet youngest niece was killed in a tragic car accident... I was VERY depressed. We went to the HS on a Sunday. They told us we'd need to be "approved" to adopt, and gave us paperwork to fill out and told us to return another day. Then two volunteers steered us over to point out their two favorites (now Heidi: who they thought was an adult! and didn't tell us she was sick, and Morgan -- also said to be an adult -- who was in a different cage with her brother). On the way to see them, MaryJane reached down and tapped my BF on the head from an upper cage. We took each of them from their cages separately to see if they liked us, and they did. MJ scared the crap out of me because she was SO INSANE. lol! but he said she was gentle. It turned out later that she was "gentle" because they had trimmed her claws. 8-)

The next day we met back at the HS, I got there first and told them the story of my previous cat/love: a 2-3 yo beat up stray that I took in and had for 18.5 years. I was immediately told: "You're APPROVED to adopt!".

We did a "purr test" -- literally taking all 3 cats out and holding their faces near each other... they all purred, so we agreed to take all 3 rather than one or two as we had planned. BF said there was "no way" he was leaving MaryJane since she picked us. At some point, one of the volunteers pulled (now) Esme from a cage, saying she was her favorite. She too passed the purr test.... they convinced us that taking FOUR was no different from two. (I said, we were in no mindset to be able to judge clearly or say 'no'). They even tried a 5th cat!!! -- but she didn't pass the purr test, the poor thing. :( They packed them into cages and put them into our cars. Shortly after, I started to have a panic attack, wondering what we had done and how it happened. LOL!

They're great! And it turned out that:
- Heidi was probably about 4 months old when we got her. She LOVES to play ball... I throw a green foil ball and she catches, batts, or chases it, then she brings it back for more.
- Morgan was probably about 6 months old. She's from another planet. Extra long and lean, she burbles like a pigeon.
- MaryJane was probably about 10 months old. She's still insane but she listens to what you tell her to do or not do. Very smart, and wants to please.
- Esme was probably close to 4 years old. She is an incredibly sweet and wonderfully-behaved cat! I wish I knew her history and why she ended up there.

We have no history on any of them. The people at the HS didn't even know their proper ages, so I can only assume that they were all strays before being brought in.

I'll post more photos later if you can stand it. lol! We love 'em all!

PS: I didn't really ask them to pose for the photos. They were just sleeping together. :)
~~~ Audrey ~~~
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Oh man, They are adorable!! That second picture is just tooo pretty!! Wait till Evelyn see these! Animals DO seem to make the world brighter, when times are bad.....Bless your heart for taking in *4* cats!! :o ... :lol: ....They are beautiful! :cool:
party_music50

Post by party_music50 »

Thank you LucyGoose (luv that name! :)

I really love that shot of Heidi. And I love her orange splashes. She really plays hard. :D She's called Heidi because she hides from all unknowns.

They're wonderful!
~~~ Audrey ~~~
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

Four at once is a big committment! The most I've had cat-wise is 3. Thanks for sharing them, they are obviously very precious to you and a very comfortable group together.

I've never heard of the "purr test", I'm thinking that might be a "I think we can send another poor furkid home with a buddy test". :D

Laura
party_music50

Post by party_music50 »

largosmom: Thanks for the comments. And, yes! it's a committment that can only be made when one is not thinking clearly. lol!

The "purr test" was BF's idea, and it obviously worked for us! :)
~~~ Audrey ~~~
Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Post by Spider »

I love when kitties like each other enough for a kittie pile. I adopted my current cat as a means of population control, she doesn't tolerate other cats - she beats ME up if another cat is within sight or sound. :( I would have 2 dozen if I could. (even if I couldn't - eek)

Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
party_music50

Post by party_music50 »

LOL! Spider, that's too funny! Your kitty doesn't look like she'd take any crap from anyone, either. :lol: She has very pretty coloring... is she a color-point?!

Speaking of population control: Esme (the calico) is an AWESOME critter catcher. :o

(PS: I have now had to log in 3 times just to post this... what's happening?)
~~~ Audrey ~~~
Spider

Post by Spider »

I was told (with certianty) that she is half siamese/DSH. Her color is Blue cream tortie lynx point. She has some bands on her arms and tail and tortie markings on her forehead. Last time I had her at work there were other cats in the cat room and I literally had to toss a towel over her and use the bite gloves just to move her out with the dogs! Without other cats she is as sweet as she is at home. She likes my finches though...a little too much. :snow:

fullofit

Post by fullofit »

Speaking of finches, and I wish I had a picture of it, but, while visiting extended care facilities to see my hospice patients, I noticed that most of the buildings had a cage of singing birds.
The 'house' cat, who had free run of the buildings, would lay on top of the cage with either one or both front legs & paws sticking through the holes. The birds would flutter around, and the cat actually thought(?) he could catch them. It was great to watch. Evenually the cat would fall asleep with paws sticking through the holes.
I never had a camera with me, but it would have been a great picture.
Last edited by fullofit on Jan 09, 2008 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CHAR (wild4flowers)
Happiness is making a bouquet
of those flowers within reach !
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

Awww, they are so cute! :snow:
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
Lionitus

Post by Lionitus »

Did I hear my name? I LOVE this post. Party, what great kitties. They are beautiful and I love your description of each one. They are as individual as each one of us. And it was so nice of you to take the time to tell us your full story. I lost four of my beloved kitties in one year so I understand the grief you had to endure.

I love that Morgan burbles like a pigeon. I can hear it in my head. My cat, who's name was Puppy, had a little whistle in his purr. Every night he curled up next to my head and lulled me to sleep. I miss that so much.

I love that Esme (great name) is white, she looks so much like my Nick (who has a sad story himself.) Her look oozes sweet, you can see it.

I notice MaryJane has her arm(leg) on top of the others, kind of like she's just keeping everyone in line.

And Heidi just looks fun loving. I love her coloring (I like them all) but she does look VERY playful.

I know nothing can replace your beloved pets. But there are always so many that need a loving, caring home and they sure do bring comfort and happiness back into my life, as it obviously has to yours. I'm so glad you found them and they found you.

Thanks again for sharing them with us.

Evelyn

P.S. Spider, your story is so funny and your kitty looks as if she's definitely in command. She's very beautiful.
Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human face.
- Victor Hugo
doublemom2
USDA Zone: 8

Post by doublemom2 »

Thank you for sharing your kitties with us! They are all just beautiful :)

We are a three-cat household as of almost two years ago, before that it was just one spoiled rotten princess, who has always been extremely feisty. Her world sure was turned upside down when we came home with a crazy little kitten named Monkey (guess how he got his name?) who just wanted to play all the time. He was so obnoxious toward our older cat that three months later we adopted Jet, who was not quite full grown and immediately bonded with Monkey, like within three seconds. We adopted Jet over the phone and had no idea that he was also solid black LOL!

Now the two boys are inseparable. They still give Fuzz-Butt, our older kitty, a hard time every now and then, but they've worked out their territories and we CANNOT imagine what our lives would be like without the three of them, they are so much a part of our family.

Didn't mean to ramble, but hearing your story of how you came home with four cats reminded me of ours. I also thought I was absolutely crazy getting one and then another one, but they just "complete" our home, if that makes sense.

Jet and Monkey... Buddies forever!
Andi
Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Great pics and great stories, everyone!

Thanks for sharing, and thanks for caring.

Your pets are blessed!
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Oh my! They are all so beautiful!! Bless you for adopting all four of them and giving them a loving home. We are currently a FIVE indoor and TWO outdoor cat household and I love each of them so much! And yep....they are all strays that we adopted. My DD is the same way about cats. She loves them and I can't ever imagine her having a home of her own without one or two in residence. (unless she lives somewhere that pets aren't allowed, of course). :D
My three boys like to sleep together. They are brothers. Here's a pic of them.
Attachments
Sherlock is the one looking right at the camera.  Mycroft is the one that tends to lounge on top of everyone. Watson is sound asleep on the right.  He sleeps very soundly , because he's not only brain damaged, but he's deaf as well.
Sherlock is the one looking right at the camera. Mycroft is the one that tends to lounge on top of everyone. Watson is sound asleep on the right. He sleeps very soundly , because he's not only brain damaged, but he's deaf as well.
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Cute cats..hard to not fall in love with them

Spider..that is an 80 or more siamese cat..and the acting is 100% siamese

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

I love everyones kitties lumped together sleeping.... :P
Trudy

Post by Trudy »

Oh....just love the photos of your 4 adorable kittens.

You have given them a nice home, and sure that they all have so much fun together.

Our Cali Sue looks so much like your Mary Jane, and sounds like there personalities are much the same also. Here is a photo, she loves being in the bathroom sink!

Spider

Post by Spider »

Trudy, my parents have Himilayan show cats, one of them curls up in the bathroom sink so all you can see is his body color - and no sink! I like how your calico has a heart shape on her black marking on the side. :D

Katie is definately Siamese with other cats, I tell her to put the siamese away and let the DSH out when she acts that way. :lol: The photo I showed was her supervising my computer time. I was probably here!

New Topic Post Reply