Does your dog eat bananas??

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

Dusty

Does your dog eat bananas??

Post by Dusty »

We have a new puppy(well we got it in march).. a purebred black lab that suckered my hubby... I was shocked the other day when I offered him a piece of my bananna and he chowed it down!! Loved it! So I gave him more.. now everytime someone has a bananna he goes crazy! Ash (siberian Hisky) won't even lick a piece of babanna. :lol: Does your dog or cat eat bananna's?
~Dusty~
- ô¿ô -

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

After I read the title, and before I opened this, I was just thinking, "Well, I used to have a Black Lab that would eat bananas...." She would eat peels and all!

The two dogs we have now don't want anything to do with them!

Maybe we can do a research study...everyone here try to give their dogs a banana and see if only the labs take them! :lol:
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
Kas

Post by Kas »

Our old boxer Liberty loved bananas! She would take them from your fingers oh so gently. Then she would take them away to chow down. Peeling a banana was like using the can opener for her. She would materialize from nowhere to beg a bite!

Kas
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; and inside a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
mum2knm

Post by mum2knm »

I have a Chocolate Lab and she eats everything but onions, lemons and rhubarb.
Sabrina
New hosta addict
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

I don't know if mine will or not. I don't think I have ever offered them one. Usually my Boxers will eat anything they see DH or I eating, well anything except bread, they don't like bread much, unless it has butter on it that is :lol: :lol: I am pretty sure Little Man would eat bananas, he eats everything :o

Ginger
KellieD

Post by KellieD »

All of our Dobermans over the years have adored bananas. The two we have now (Deuce and Tabitha) start drooling profusely as soon as I start opening it!

Misty (she died almost 20 years ago ) would even peel the banana very carefully and never even mush up the fruit!
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

Yep! We call Diva "Monkey Dog" because she makes this weird yelp (sounds sort of like a monkey) whenever someone is eating a banana. She loves them! Instead of dog biscuits, she has a whole raw carrot every morning with her breakfast - she loves them too.

THe only fruit/veg I know of that you really shouldn't give to dogs are onions and grapes/raising. I never knew about the later until recently, but it seems grapes are VERY toxic to dogs.

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
PEIslander

Post by PEIslander »

Savannah loved banannas and now when Seamus hears a bananna being pealed he is there to share.
Maureen
Gardentoad
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Gardentoad »

Add chocolate the the "don't share" list.

Many dogs have a hard time just adjusting from one brand of dog food to another brand. It is recommended to mix the new with the old brand to slow the transition.

We used to treat the dogs with a white castle hamburger when ever we got them before I found out about the onions being bad. I felt awfull when I found out that I was giving them stomach cramps. Now they just get carrots, biscuits and occasionally a bite of lean meat.

I wouldn't let them eat banana skins. They use lots of strong pesticides on bananas. I eat organic bananas and put the skins in the garden for the worms.

Two years ago the dogs ate strawberries right off the plant after seeing me pick them. I put a fence around the strawberries last year but it made it difficult for me to work them. This year the fence was moved and they're not interested in them.

I found grubs in a garden I was turning over a few years ago. I set a plant saucer down and was throwing the grubs in it for the wild birds. My dog came over there before I was done with the garden and ate all the grubs.
Maybe that's the real reason my dachshunds like to dig.
Never before have so few with so much promised to take away so much from so many and then laugh their asses off as the so many with so little vote for the so few with so much.

---James Pence
John

Post by John »

I eat a banana every morning. None of my dogs would ever even try a piece. I did have one dog who loved snow peas, and would pick them off the vines to eat! Most curiously, to me, my dogs always seem fond of asparagus and broccoli, and that's steamed, not even buttered.
party_music50
USDA Zone: z5

Post by party_music50 »

I had no idea that any dogs would like bananas, but if my mom ever gets a Lab again I'll offer him some. :)

This is the first I've heard of grapes and onions being bad for a dog. My SIL used to have a golden lab that loved to eat grapes and she gave them to her freely.
~~~ Audrey ~~~
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good”
Dr. Seuss :)
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

I did not know they liked banana's either! I knew about the choc and grapes and raisins......Willie loves apples.....I will have to see if he likes banana's now.....Willie is a dog that will eat anything......:lol:
Kas

Post by Kas »

Onions actually give dogs a type of anemia. Not good at all.

Kas
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; and inside a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
Hapygdnr

Post by Hapygdnr »

Our 7 yr old, Maggie, (not a lab, but a mixture of lhasa apso and bischon (think I'm spelling those correctly) loves bananas. Like someone mentioned before, all I need to do is peel one and it's like the can opener. I don't even make any noise and she just appears. She likes apples and peanut butter too and the ribs (only!!) from romaine lettuce.
Attachments
Here's a picture of her when we first got her from an elderly couple who had to move to assisted living.
Here's a picture of her when we first got her from an elderly couple who had to move to assisted living.
MaggieFullbody.jpg (46.14 KiB) Viewed 3530 times
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

I remembered one fruit my dog liked....when I had a little blueberry bush, all the blueberries were just 'falling off.' Must be, right, cuz there weren't any once they started getting ripe...? :-?

I happened to look out one day just at the right moment and my rottie was plucking blueberries - ever so gently - one at a time! It was so cute to watch this giant of a dog, gingerly picking blueberries - one at a time - then chewing each one up before he got the next one! :lol: I didn't stop him cuz it was so much fun to watch! He only got the ripe ones, too! He polished them all off over a week or so....the bush never produced again! :lol:
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Awwwww Maggie is so cute!!! She kind of reminds me of a dog I had a long time ago!! Thanks for sharing!! 8-)
JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Post by JaneG »

Years ago I dog-sat for the dog of a couple I knew. It was a schnauzer. The dog had a very sensitive system and could only eat the one specific type of dog food the doctor recommended. And grapes! The vet told them to give the dog a couple grapes every day as a treat, because it would be easy for the dog to digest and wouldn't have all the 'junk' in regular dog treats. This was a healthy happy dog and lived a long time . . . considering that it was eating toxic grapes every day! :o

Although I find it just as confusing to listen to people doctors, too. Is coffee good, or bad? Will artificial sweeteners kill you, or help you lose weight? etc, etc, :roll:
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
Justme

Post by Justme »

Can say we have ever given one of our Labs a banana, but I do know that Lab will eat about anything. Our first lab we got as a puppy, he ate shoes, floors, drywall, eye glasses, 2 x 4's, bushes, books and a remote control. And I don't mean chewed up. I mean ATE. I knew the remote was missing, they do that around my house. But, I found what was left of it when I vaccuuming, a few pieces of plactic. Never found the battery. :o

Will have to find out if the new lab (didn't get him until he was 3 yrs and out of chewing stage) will eat bananas.

Tami
My Hosta List
It is always something
grumblescat

bananas for bananas.....

Post by grumblescat »

I have 2 english mastiffs, they would eat 20 bananas at a time if I let them. Unfortunately, they get gas from bananas. The good thing is, if I have to give them a pill, I just shove it into a chunk of banana & they gobble it down.

My red fox (really, red fox) will eat bananas, but prefers apples.

Raccoons generally go crazy for bananas. Fozzy, one of my regular coon visitors, will ring my doorbell hoping I'll give him a banana or two so he'll go away.
grumblescat

bananas for bananas.....

Post by grumblescat »

I have 2 english mastiffs, they would eat 20 bananas at a time if I let them. Unfortunately, they get gas from bananas. The good thing is, if I have to give them a pill, I just shove it into a chunk of banana & they gobble it down.

My red fox (really, red fox) will eat bananas, but prefers apples.

Raccoons generally go crazy for bananas. Fozzy, one of my regular coon visitors, will ring my doorbell hoping I'll give him a banana or two so he'll go away.
New Topic Post Reply