Leash question

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

doublemom2
USDA Zone: 8

Leash question

Post by doublemom2 »

We walk our cat Monkey daily, sometimes twice a day if he howls enough LOL!. Anyway, he's on a harness and a regular leash, but we were thinking of trying out one of those cute retractable thingies (see... I don't even know what they're called!) where you can let your dog (or cat) get quite a bit away from you, and then reel them back in. I know... it sounds like a fishing pole, but you know what I mean.

Are there any types or brands that are better than others? Any that someone could recommend for a smaller dog (a.k.a. a cat who thinks he's a dog)?

Thanks bunches :) :)

Andi
Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
bengal

Post by bengal »

I used to walk my guys....the recommendation I received on a few cat forums was the broad type of harness that wraps 'round the torso and chest. The thinking is that, if the cat's ever truly scared, it's possible it can get out of both a regular collar/leash and the slender type of harness you currently have him on. He looks thoroughly at ease, but it's the one-never-knows principle. Or maybe it's the better-safe-than-sorry one. :) :D
KellieD

Post by KellieD »

What you are thinking of is called a Flexi, as in flexible leash.
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

I used to use them with my dogs... they are great! They come in all sizes to accomodate little dogs/cats and big. I got mine at the local Pet Smart, but I think they have them at Wal Marts etc now. You can leave the lock off so your cat can pull it as it walks and it will let out more leash, or you can lock it at the length you want, or when they try to take off further than you want, you can lock it.

Ginger
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Re: Leash question

Post by nanny_56 »

I hate those things...people use those and their little or not so little doggies can do their business in my yard, but THEY didn't step in my yard. :evil:
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

We used to use the retractable leash with Ginger, but then the people where we took Willie for obedience, don't recommend them. But then that is for dogs..... so we never got one for Willie, and I do not miss it. They do have small ones that you could use for the cat.....I think that might be different anyway....They are at any dog store or Wal-Mark/K-Mart I would think! Good Luck!! 8-)
Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Post by Spider »

Just PLEASE make sure your cat is microchipped. Cats can get out of ANY harness that is adjusted comfortably. My cat flipped out on her harness, luckilly I was only on the porch and had JUST gotten the screen open when she slipped the harness. A client refused to put her new cat in a crate, she walked her in a harness, the cat hasn't been seen since.

I know you're carefull, but you never know...

Retractable leashes are great, until the animal runs straight towards you (as in chasing a squirrel) , then they are difficult. Your instinct is to gather it up by hand (bad) because it won't retract that fast. :)
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Post by Spider »

Oh, for the dog I enjoy the retractable leash. I like the freedom of having the animal heel when you want them too, then send them out to do their business or to have explore time.
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

I use the short line when we do the city and the flexi lines in the forest and beach areas...
here flexis are in 9 or 15 foot
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Cants can climb..do you want to climb 15 foot

9 woiuld be fine i think
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Andi, how did u get Monkey use to the harness? I tried Wilbur in a harness a few times and he always freaked out. And do your other cats use a harness too?

Debbie

doublemom2
USDA Zone: 8

Post by doublemom2 »

Hi Debbie - Only Monkey will tolerate the harness, we started him with it when he was 3 months old. The other two cats were older when we tried, and neither of them would accept it, they completely freaked out and were really scared. So, I think a lot of it is getting them used to it when they're still a kitten. And.... Monkey isn't what I would consider to be a normal cat, his whole personality is much more like a dog, which helps with the leash thing. He is one of the most intelligent cats I've ever known, which also means that he gets bored very easily and constantly needs activity and play and new things to explore and learn.

Andi
Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Thanks Andi. I did try it with Wilbur when he was very small, but he didn't like it at all and freaked out. But I may try it on the new kittens. *G*

Debbie

New Topic Post Reply