Boy or Girl Kitten?

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

Tundra_Queen

Boy or Girl Kitten?

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Hi there,

Well I think I'm ready to take the plunge and get another cat/kitten. I want a nice cuddly one. So I wanted your opinions.

I have Wilbur, 5 or six years old male cat,,,I have forgotten his age exactly but he's neutered. And Tegan 6 year old dog.

Are girl cats or male cats more friendly, cuddly etc?

Wilbur is pretty affectate and likes pets and give kisses, so I'd like one like him.

There were six kittens found in a trailer that came up here from southern ontario in August for the lumberjack festival and I'd like to adopt one of them. They are taking names for their adoption. The reason why I want one of them is because they were only 2 weeks old when they were found and no momma cat. So they are being raised by people, so that is why I'd like one of those ones. Wilbur being found by me only a few weeks old so he doesn't have all the cat knowledge that he should have if he was raised by his momma so he might have a harder time if a regular kitten was brought into the house.

Gee, sorry I'm rambling here.

Anyways, girl or boys?

Thanks
Debbie

Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Boy or Girl Kitten?

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Debbie,

I've always just picked out the kitten that caught my attention the most. I've had boys and girls and both have been very affectionate. I think you are right, that it is more about how they are raised, but each does have its own personality :) Right now I have 4 girls but that's just the way it worked out.

Good luck!

Chris
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Hi Debbie!!

I think it's hard to pick.....I have had both, too.....cats are cats..... :lol: ....kinda like a box of chocolate......never know what you'll get..... :lol: (love that saying...it's so true...hehe) I think generally, the males are supposed to be more loving......mine were.....but then, females can be too. :roll: ......can you see them? Do the people who are raising them have a opinion of how each one acts?

Good Luck!.......it's better you than me.......No more cats for Lucy..... :roll: Bless you for taking one in...... :cool:

I should add that we had gotten Stanley as a 1 pound 4 ounce stray, and we raised him and it didn't matter, because he was still wild like......I think a cat is going to be what it is from birth...... :lol:
Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Post by Spider »

If you already have a boy kitty, Ive always heard you mix the sexes. Wilber being 5 or 6 years old, he may not appreciate a baby kitty, they can play pretty rough. :D Has he ever had another cat around? Perhaps you could have the litter come over to visit (provided they are healthy, no FIV/FeLV) and Wilber can choose the kitten - or not. :) In the long run sex doesn't matter, so long as they get along.
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Hi
Thanks everyone for your opinions. I called about the kittens today and I have been the only one that wanted to adopt one. How could people read about them in the newspaper and not want to help them out? Geezeeeee

The Manager of the rescue place I spoke to, said she thought they were still too young to be adopted. I tried to call the foster lady, but she was sick today so I will call back tomorrow. Her husband did say that they were still pretty tiny and not ready yet to be adopted. Maybe in another week or two. But I do want to go and have a look at them and ask about them and find out who is the friendliest.....etc.

I called the manger of the ARK rescue here in town back and asked her if they were tested for FIV/FeLV...and she said no they don't get tested. but the vet has never seen a case of it up here. But i told the lady that those kittens didn't come from here. She said the cost of the kitten doesn't include those type of test. Only deworming, shots, and neutering at six months.That testing would cost too much.

Wilbur mom was a feral cat and I had asked about the test when I brought him to the vets, but the vet said there was nothing to cure it even if he did have it. And there had been no cases of it up here. Wilbur has only been around his siblings when he was out in our garage until he was 4 weeks old when we found them out there. He has only been around other cats when he was sick and staying at the vets a few years ago.They had their own Pet cats at the vets and they use to keep Wilbur company at night time..that is when he learned how to meow..he was over 1 years old at the time..I told yeah he thinks he is a dog......LOL

I told my son we were getting a new family member soon and there was a long pause on the phone.....then I said a kitten. :lol: :lol: I had him worried! :lol:
He said...Mom your not gonna turn into one of those crazy cat women are u? :lol:

Lucy,,,, is Stanley the cat that use to be Ginger's buddy? I thought your cat's name was something else? Why won't u get another cat?

Take care
Debbie

Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Hi
I have another question. Do female cats fight with other females or even males for that matter? Or do the females get along easier with other cats?

I know that unneutered male cats will fight with other males, but I was just wondering about females.

Debbie

govgirl75
USDA Zone: 5

Post by govgirl75 »

Debbie-
I don't know about the fighting thing. We have had female cats, up to 3 at a time, and they have all done the 2 minute "smack and yowl" periodically but get along fine. I think it is the same as people getting irritated with one another and venting. No harm, no foul. Ours do get really ticked when another cat comes in the yard. Then there is real trouble.
I think you will probably get a real lovey-dovey no matter which kitty you pick because they will be real well socialized, having been fostered by humans.
We actually had a cat with feline leukemia. We had her for a while (and did not know she was positive) and adopted 2 strays that were dumped in the park that borders our yard. I took everyone to the vet for testing because I did not want the new cats to give my cat the virus if they had it. To my surprise, my first cat was infected, so I had to have the other two vaccinated to prevent them from getting it. Squeek, the first cat, lived a long and full life to age 15 and the other two never got the illness and lived to be 18 and 19 respectively.
If your kitties are indoor ones, I don't think it is much of an issue. My vet told me that it is very rare for a mama cat to pass it to the kittens. He said the kittens usually don't survive if infected in-utero. But if they go out, they can get it from your neighbor's cat, so he recommends testing and vaccination.
I hope you will put a pix of the baby on the forum when you get him or her.
Good luck with picking. I always go with the intention of getting one and, well, you know how that goes.
Gloria
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Nope, it was not Stanley.....the cat that I still have, Curtis, was the one so close to Ginger.....Stanley was my pee pee cat, remember? And the reason never to have another inside cat, is just a personal one.....I have had my share of cats.... :lol: ....I am more a dog person.....I will never have an outside cat either......I don't live where it is possible....So, I am afraid that my Curtie boy is the last......I love him dearly and know that at 14 years old, with stones for the 3rd time, and this recent x-ray there are LOTS) ......PLUS, now just this month, he takes thyroid meds now twice a day (that is not that serious.....it won't cause him to be put down) that if he starts passing them, or blocks or just starts peeing out of the litter boxes, because he is passing the stones and thinks the box causes him the pain, that I am afraid he will join the rest over the rainbow.......:bawl:.......a 3rd surgery would be so hard on him......I don't know.......sorry for rambling......It's just US.....He is such a sweet, sweet boy.....

Good Luck.......Have fun......there is nothing cuter than baby kitties..... :cool: Post pictures! Pick a cute/cool name like Wilbur's.... :cool:
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

Debbie,
I had both female and male litter mates. They got along great and no problems as kittens, but once they grew up, they really did not want to have much to do with each other :o We lost the male (Jack)a couple of months ago after fighting kidney failure,and Jill (female) never seemed to notice he was gone (mean little kitty :evil: ). We now have a new stray which showed up at the house on Sunday. Little bitty Calico kitten that can't be much over 6 weeks old. Jill DOES NOT like her at all! The dogs seem to like her okay, they don't bother her much except to stick their nose in her butt all the time :lol: :lol: and she tolerates them well.
Anyway, I think you would do better with a female since you have a male already. Another male might not be a problem with Wilbur, but it might make him think he is loosing his "territory" while he may not feel threatened by a female.
BTW: Both my cats were very cuddly and loved to sit in your lap and sleep. This new little one is also very cuddly, to the point she is a pest!

Have fun picking out your new family member!

Ginger
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Thanks everyone for your advice and good wishes. Things have changed a bit here, since this morning actually. :lol:

I got to talking to the lady who fosters the kittens for quite a while this afternoon. She said that the kittens are still too tiny to be adopted. Because they had such a hard fight to live it has taken them longer to gain weight, I guess. She said they should be ready for adoption in 3 weeks.

She lives outta town and we don't have a car, so next week she is bringing them into see the vet again and I will meet up with her and them at the vet to pick out which one I would like. Actually which ONES I would like! :lol: I think we are going to adopt TWO :lol:

I have talked to Gary about it and he was worried about the expensive of getting two, but I think we can swing it. The rescue outfit is going to give me 20 dollars off the price of each kitten, so that will help too. I also thought that it would be easier on the kittens if two of them stayed together when coming into another strange place. I don't know how Wilbur will do,,but hopefully things will go smoothly!

I am going to look at buying another cat tree so that Wilbur can have the highest place in the house if he wants to and hopefully that will cut down on the tension. And I will get more food and water dishes too.

Now, I just have to start taking more vitamins so I'm in better shape to take care of two kittens when they get here. I think I'd better buy a case of Wheaties too! :lol:

Now any advice on settling the new kittens in or anything else u can think of I should would appreciate. I haven't had a kitten in a very long time and Wilbur was only my first kitten! So I'm still a beginner. :lol:

Debbie......so excieted!!!

JaneG

Post by JaneG »

Oh Debbie, two new kittens . . . that sounds like fun!! I don't have any advice for you, I've only had one cat at a time.

I laughed when I read this in your post:

"I told my son we were getting a new family member soon and there was a long pause on the phone.....then I said a kitten. :lol: :lol: I had him worried! :lol:
He said...Mom your not gonna turn into one of those crazy cat women are u? :lol: "

It reminded me of a news story I saw about a woman with 169 cats in Florida. They took her cats, but then gave 150 of them back to her because there is no ordinance against lots of cats. Anyway, rather than "crazy cat lady", she referred to people like herself as "Cat Hobbyists". I had to laugh!!! So tell your son you're not a crazy cat lady, but rather a cat hobbyist!! :lol:
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Tundra_Queen wrote: I think we are going to adopt TWO :lol:
Two?? :eek: Don't get mad but.........Your Nuts!!!!! :lol: :lol:

Only thing I can really think of is with 3 cats, you should have 3 litter boxes.....they say one for each cat and one MORE.....when I had 3 cats, I had 3 litters.....in fact, with just have one cat, Curtis, he has two......I would for sure have one for Wilbur, and one for the babies, then when they get older, throw another one some where......Wilbur will for sure want his own.....

I still say your nuts...... :lol: :lol: .....Don't mind me........Good Luck!!!!!! :beer:
Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Post by Spider »

Well with 2 kittens they can wrestle with each other rather than be a constant pest to poor Wilber. :) And one more litter box than you have kitties (3 cats, 4 boxes) cats love to ambush each other at the box. That causes litter box avoidence - and you don't want that!

Have fun!!
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Hmm looks like there is a theme going on here about me getting 2 kittens. Like this might not be such a good idea? LOL

Lucy, why do u think this is a bad idea? Me almost being a cat virgin ya know..*G*.why are 2 kittens going to be trouble? I mean..it's been so long since wilbur has been a kitten I forget all the stuff he did wrong. So please fill me in...maybe i should get just 1 now and wait til that one grows up then get another? *G*

I guess i shouldn't tell u that the ARK rescue lady called me this morning telling me there were 5 more kittens that needed a home? But they hadn't had any socialization or been dewormed, so I had to tell her no. Actually I couldn't say no, so Gary called her back and told her no. We didn't think that would be safe for Wilbur, who actually has to get his shots in the next 3 weeks before the new lumberjack kitten/kittens get here. Carole, the foster mom told me that she still has things to teach those kittens and they need a bit more socialization yet. So I'm hoping they won't bite like Wilbur use to bite me and still does every so often.

Jane, I always like to keep my son on his toes, keep him guessing. It's good for him to not think Mom is normal......LOL Of course, I don't think he has EVER thought that. LOL

Cat Hobbyists? LMBO Oh man, he would start getting very worried, cause that's what I told him about my hostas! ROTFLMBO I got to remember that one and tell him next smart comment he makes about the cats! LOL

We have 2 litter boxes now for Wilbur and I am thinking about getting another automatic one as I love the one I have now. Wilbur doesn't care for it much, as he always races down the stairs and thru the livingroom after he uses it like it is going to chase after him and grab his butt. LOL But he likes the fact it is clean when he goes to use it the next time. He prefers that one to the one by the basement that is a normal one.
My name is Debbie and I'm a Cat Hobbyist. LOL

Take care
Debbie
DebbieTakeTwofk-vi.jpg
DebbieTakeTwofk-vi.jpg (17.38 KiB) Viewed 3642 times

Annie

Post by Annie »

It really all boils down to the cats themselves. No matter if they are male or female. At least it never mattered to me. I have had several kitties growing up and in my adulthood :)

I've had up to 3 cats and no more than 2 litter boxes at any one time. They did fine, no messes on the floors.

As for which are more friendly, that depends on the individual cat to me. I've had both aloof and very lovable cats of both sexes. I think it's cool your getting 2 kittens! They will play and play and play LOL. But that don't mean they will leave your older cat alone hehe. But they will most of the time once he puts them in their place. But they will still be ornery and go after him every now and then :lol: :lol:
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
doublemom2
USDA Zone: 8

Post by doublemom2 »

Oh, goodie, new kitten photos!!! Personally, our males have always been much more affectionate and much much less feisty than our females, but again, each cat has it's own personality, regardless of gender.

So... we had FuzzButt (girl) for about 7 years when Monkey (boy) came into our lives as a 3-month old kitten. The introduction took a good 6 weeks before I could let them both be loose in the house together unsupervised. FuzzButt STILL hates him to this day, but they've worked out their territories, they have signed a mutual-hate treaty, and they tolerate each other quite peacefully now. They will even agree to sleep and eat in the same room sometimes.

Because Monkey is SO darned smart and SO active, it was torture for him to not have a playmate. Thus... Jet (another boy) came into our lives three months after we got Monkey. We were very verrrrrrrrry hesitant to add another cat, because the first two did not get along at all. Well, turns out Monkey and Jet bonded in, say, 5 seconds flat! Literally, within 5 seconds of sniffing noses they were grooming each other, they slept together that first night, and they have been inseparable ever since. Getting the third cat was the best decision we made. Yes, it could have backfired, but by providing Monkey with a playmate, it took the heat off our older kitty so she could have her peace and quite, and Monkey could have a wrestling partner.

So.... my vote is to get two at the same time. That's just from my personal experience. As for litter boxes, they say to have one for each cat, plus another one. We had three spread throughout the house, but one was never used, so we got rid of it. As much as FuzzButt hates the two younger boys, all three use the remaining two litterboxes without a single problem. We thought she might freak out by having to share, but it has never been a problem for our cats, and they do just great with two litterboxes between the three of them.

Another suggestion would be to make sure that your older cat has a "safe room" where she can go to hide, rest, relax, and sleep. For cats, vertical is good, so give her someplace high up where she can feel like she is dominant. A cat tree, or two or three, is an excellent idea. Heck, our FuzzButt's favorite perch is one of the shelves in a linen closet that she has carved out for herself.

Hope that helps a bit, please let us know what you decide to do and how it goes. And of course.... PHOTOS!!!!

Andi
Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Oh Debbie......I hope I didn't offend you...(or anyone).....I was half playing.....:lol: Half by meaning I wouldn't get 2 more cats, with having one cat (Kibbie) and a dog (Ginger) again....but that is ME!!! What Andi, and Annie say is good advice........If that's what you want....GO FOR IT!..... :lol: I do believe like the others, that it's not so much the sex, but the cat for personality......I think my boys were more lovers......but just see if they have opinions of the kitties they can maybe tell you.....like are there 2 that stay more together? Then get those 2.....

Hey......just get us some pictures...... :lol: .....and Lucy is a nice name..... :lol: ... :wink:
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

:lol: Lucy, here I thought u had a specific reason cause I need more information! LOL I am scared I'm going to mess Wilbur up by getting him a few friends. And about the name Lucy? sorry I already have one name picked out....I told gary and all he said was oh yeah. :lol:

*drum roll pleaseeeeee*

O'Shaugnasessy..if it's a boy and Mrs O'Shaugnasessy for a girl......:lol: I just have to remember how to spell it....:lol: I needed something that in no way sounded like Wiblur. LOL

Still working on another name, probably another Irish one though. :lol:

Lucy, who is Kibbie? I thought u just had Curtis and the Willie, which is what we call Wilbur,,unless he is bad then he gets called Wilbur! LOL

Debbie

Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Sorry Annie and Andi, I forgot to thank u for your good advice. I have a squirrley cat around me right now wanting to play and I clicked the submit button by mistake. :lol: So thank You very much for your suggestions and advice. I just hope that Wilbur doesn't have a melt down as he is such a friendly cat,,,well with dogs anyways.

A little too friendly with dogs. When he got out the last time a dog walked right by him about 3 ft away and Wilbur didn't even run, he just sat there. Thank goodness the dog eas on a leash.

Take care
Debbie *S*

LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Tundra_Queen wrote:
*drum roll pleaseeeeee*

O'Shaugnasessy..if it's a boy and Mrs O'Shaugnasessy for a girl......

Debbie
Say that again??? HUH??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kibbie was the female we had for like 14 years.......then she got cancer......remember??

Then there was Stanley......pee pee cat....... :???:

And now just Curtis is left out of the cats......

Then Willie....

Gotta run for work........

Say this over and over.....

Wilbur.......Lucy......Wilbur .......Lucy........See? Not even close sounding...... :roll: .. :wink: .. :lol: .. :lol:
New Topic Post Reply