Boy or Girl Kitten?

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

Re: Boy or Girl Kitten?

Post by oldcoot »

OC has never had very good luck with fur kittess. He LIKES dogs. He has had several cats, but they always scratched or bit him. (for no good reason either - (you know how good he is to pets) Got rid of the cats and stuck with doggies. Never disappointed,,,,,,,,,,OC
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
Garden_of_Mu
USDA Zone: 7

Post by Garden_of_Mu »

In my experience it is best to only have two female cats in a house if they are sisters and raised together. Females are way too territorial. Males accept other cats much better, especially females, but will tolerate young males if they are neutered (the older male, that is). Chewie and Gracie fight often, even tho they have been under one roof for years and Chewie isn't in the least bit dominate. Tuck accepted Petey in no time, even tho he occasionally takes a minute to show him who is boss. The girls could care less about the boys, but keep them in line when needed.

I think all cats are going to have the personality they have. Getting them younger just means they are used to people sooner, doesn't make them more inclined to being a lap cat, IMO. Miss Gracie is very affectionate - on her terms - but in no way wants to be a lap kitty. If you really want a friendly cat go to a shelter and check out the adults. The ones that are actively seeking your attention and want to be petted are going to be very loving and affectionate when you get them home. But in this case it is some lost babies needing a home, so you just have to take your chances. Good on you for opening your heart and taking one in. It can't hurt to wait until they are weaned to see who's healthy and might make a good pet.
~ Mike

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don’t
matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Theodore Geisel, aka Dr.
Seuss
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

OC, my Wilbur is a very nice cat, but then again he thinks he IS a dog. :lol: He has been raised with dogs and his best friend is my hubby's guide dog. *S*

We do have a dog and always have, but I have also turned into a cat lover too, which I never thought I would be. :lol:

Mike,
The kittens that I am choosing from are all siblings and raised in a foster home, which is the equivelent to our shelter. Maybe I will get a male and a female. My Wilbur is neutered so hopefully that will make things easier. I am going to ask the foster mom if there are two that get along better together than the others.

Thanks for everyone's help. Like hubs says I will be going back and forth until I see the kittens this coming week. Who knows I might get 3.....just kidding! :lol:

Debbie

Annie
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Annie »

Aw just get which ever ones tickle your fancy! That's what I would do :) They will get along sooner or later. Might not love each other but they will figure out who is gonna be top cat in the household. There will be a few fights probably, but they have to work things out themselves. You will be ok no matter what sex you wind up with :)

I can't wait to see pictures of the lil buggers :D
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Annie, I found out tonight that ARK has a website. I was calling to see if they had one cause I was going to offer to build them one.

Here is a pic of the lumberjack kittens... i'm going to be chosing one or two of these.

Not my favourite colours of cats but that's ok. They have pretty eyes and they might have different colouring by now. I can always adopt my fav colours another time. :lol: Don't tell hubs I said that! :lol:

http://animalrescuekap.googlepages.com/ ... ;init:.JPG

Debbie

Annie

Post by Annie »

Debbie,

When I was looking for a kitten years ago those are the exact color I was looking for. LOL Think I could find one???? NOOOOOOO :)

I think they are extremely cute!!!!
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Annie, there are six in the litter and I'm only taking two at the most. :lol: So u still have 4 to choose from. :lol:

Debbie

Annie

Post by Annie »

Ummmm no thank you :lol:

I think you should take all 6! You know you want too! :D

Poor lil kittens, no home to call their own, how sad is that? No one to hold them and cuddle them and just love them.......
Your going to go in there and just pick out 2? And leave those other sad faces behind :(

POOR LITTLE THINGS....... :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

I can see it now, "Well honey no one else wanted them!" :D

~~Annie~~
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

:lol: Debbie, I wish I could stand in your neighborhood and listen while you call your kittens :lol: :lol: Here Mr Shaugnassessy :lol: :lol: Your neighbors will think you have lost someone other than a cat :lol: :lol: Maybe call the male Shaug and the girl Nessey?? Or just call them both LUCY!
Good luck with the kittens. You will be a great cat hobbiest or maybe it should be cat-a-holic? Wilbur will be fine, he most likley won't like them at all, but he will learn to tolerate them. Just be sure he gets lots of extra love and attention so he will know he is still number 1!

Ginger
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

:lol: @ Annie and Ginger

Ginger my neighbours already know I'm strange. :lol:

Annie, are u trying to kill me? :lol: SIX KITTENS? :eek: LMBO I don't think so. :lol:

Debbie

Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Post by Spider »

Oh, I just remembered something I did when introducing new cats to Spider (and expecting her to live with them). I made sure I fed her first and made her the dominant cat. Of course there was one she couldn't stand (a little kitten dumped at the barn), she got larengitis hissing at him, lol! All the others went well though, she played with cats or dogs.
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
stitches4

Post by stitches4 »

I have 11 Persians--all strickly indoors. There are 5 sets of brothers,plus one boy without a brother. They all get along withno problems. Will it make a problem if I add a girl calico persian?
Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Post by Spider »

Hello stitches! Are they all neutered? Is the girl spayed? My parents have 3-4 Himmilayans and 2 bombays that they show. Mostly boys. I don't think they have ever had any problems with the himmys. They are very laid back cats. Possibly introduce the new kitty to your most sociable boy first, give her a friend to bond to, and let her explore the house so she can know where to run if she needs to. Then introduce her to a few at a time.

Now the big question... How do you handle all the brushing and eye wipeing with 11 persians?? That sounds like a full time job. Do you show? You have to show pictures, that's something I'd like to see! :)
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Get a girl.. Chicks Rule!!
~Dusty~
- ô¿ô -

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Hi *waving*

Just introduce them very slowly like over weeks to one at a time. Also keep the new kitty in a room all by herself so the others can sniff her under the door. Then after a few days exchange blankets with them. Like put the kittens blanket with the older cats and visa versa so they can get use to the smells. I don't know exactly how to do it with 11 though, but definately start with the friendliest cats. And maybe using Feliway would help to keep everyone calmer too.

Debbie

lazygardner

Post by lazygardner »

So, Debbie, did you get your two kitties? How is it going? Are they sweet and behaving... oh right... I forgot they are kittens. They CANT behave! :lol:
Before criticizing someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them you will be a mile away and have their shoes!
New Topic Post Reply