Lucy and throat mass... :(

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Lucy and throat mass... :(

Post by wishiwere »

Hey all`
Just wondering if anyone here ever had a kitty with a throat mass and how it went?

Lucy has this mass (about the size of my forefinger from tip to first knuckle) on the left side of her vocal cords/throat.

The vet said thyroid nodules/tumors are not uncommon with felines, Most often B9, but...

3 options:
1) do thyroid blood test which even if elevated or or not, will not be definitive for a malignancy or B9 mass.
2) do a watch and see
3) do a bx of the mass under anesthetic. He would do a needle bx and look at that, and IF he can definitely call it and it's a mass but NOT a thyroid mass, removed it. IF it's a thyroid mass (regardless of B9, or Cancer) he will not remove it without another doc present b/c the increase chances of losing her to bleeding out.

We are waiting to till the end of the week to see about dh's job as he may get laid off and of course, i've yet to find full time employment :( So...
What are you thoughts, experiences, ideas? Anyone?
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Re: Lucy and throat mass... :(

Post by Spider »

Option # 3 sounds like the best option. Blood tests should be done before anesthesia anyway (are they talking full anesthesia {sevo used and a trach tube} or heavy sedation {telazol} ?

At the least get the blood work done. Just plain "wait and see" seems scarey since it's close to the throat/windpipe.

We have wellness plans that include yearly dental cleanings so we do any biopsys at the time of the dental to save people money on anesthesia (saves the pet from having to go under multiple times too).

What is your doctor pushing for most?
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Oh crap~ Long post and lost it! :(
And this new rubber key board is great but.....hard to get used to and difficult to type on1 UGH!

Okay.....A higher power must be intervening, or its good prayers and thoughts be/c 1) I got a job offer this afternoon after posting and 2) The mass has enlarged since last night about 50%. When I called the vet to discuss this further and so on, I mentioned that it was about 50% larger than last night and he said, OH! Well, that doesn't sound so much like a thyroid or mass but an abcess! OHMY GOODESS! My heart felt so hopeful! I am hoping and praying that is what this is! Man, I hope so!

So....between the new job (I figure it was heaven sent to help with this situation especially) and the fact that the vet is so hopefully it's an abcess I am so relieved and looking hopefull to good reports tomorrow.

Keep us both in good thoughts if you. Hoping I can concentrate at this new job, not knowing how things go. :)
Barefoot Gardener

Post by Barefoot Gardener »

I'm so happy to hear about your job offer! A silver lining no matter how small is still a silver lining.

How are Lucy's teeth? I ask this because my BF dog had a large mass under her eye - Abcess tooth.
Had the tooth removed - no more abcess.

Same thing for my Boss's dog - abscess on head and teeth problems.

I will keep you and Lucy in my thoughts and prayers.

Kindly

Kris
Barefoot Gardner
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Jane, I'm so sorry to hear about poor Lucy! But I'm glad u got a job offer. Did u take it? When do u start?

*HUGS for u and Lucy*

I sent u a PM.

Debbie

JaneG

Post by JaneG »

Great on the job offer!

Is the mass soft? My cat Butch had an infection on the side of his face, I was shocked at how fast it got big and how much icky goo came out! :o He took antibiotics for a week.

I don't know about Lucy, but my Butch is mostly an outdoor cat and the vet said infections around the head, neck, face are common in outdoor cats who might tangle with other cats and get a claw or bite to the face/neck.

Good luck with job offer and crossing my fingers that DH doesn't get laid off. And hopefully Lucy's mass isn't anything serious!
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Thanks Ladies. No, it's not soft, or tender, rather hard and non-movable. Which is what bothers me most, but I'm keeping the postitive thought it's still an abcess. Heading out with her soon and then home to get ready for work.

Thanks everyone! :D
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

Post by oldcoot »

Oh My dear friend OC and Joy are so sorry. Soglad yhou didfind a job. Let us know all about it. Give your Kitty a hug for OC and tell her I said to GET Well !!
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Well, it's not good news, but really no news as yet :( He said her blood test were good but be/c of her age, they used the reversable or some such thing anesthetic that brings them out of it sooner, so she is doing relatively well. Other than she's looks beat, she's eating, peeing and such, but little bit hisses at her when she is in the room for some reason? I can't figure out why....they've never hissed at one another before. :(

Anyway..when the vet shaved her hair, he could see the artery pulsing over top of this mass, (the carotid) so he didn't do the needle aspiration, but did a one and 1/4 inch incision and had a hard timem moving it around to see anything. HE did get a piece of it and it bled quite a bit too. :( I'm just so sad....here's money spent hoping it was something fixable and now i'm really dreading the pathology of it Not looking good :( I'll write more when we hear (hopefully friday he said.

Thanks everyone..taking a muscle relaxer and going to hit the hay soon as my legs are cramping horribly from standing all day. Job went very well. the only bright spot in the day.
Thanks again...
me
Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Post by Spider »

I'm crossing my fingers the news will be good, (but I am a pessamist at heart) .

Little Bit may be hissing because her friend smells different. The surgical scrub, alcohol, and the smell of the surgery (open wound) could be un-nerving her. If Lucy is still groggy and not acting herself it could un-nerve the other cat. Lucy could also have soiled herself durring sedation, cats tend to do that under stress.

I'm glad you got a job, sorry your legs are acting up. It sounds connected, but I hope not.

Here's hopeing things are looking good on Friday.
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
doublemom2
USDA Zone: 8

Post by doublemom2 »

So sorry to hear about this, but sending good thoughts your way! As for smelling differently, Monkey did the same thing to Jet (who are both usually inseparable) when Jet had surgery twice for abscesses. When he got home from the vet, Monkey didn't hiss, but wouldn't come near him at all, which is NOT normal for them. Give him time to start to smell like himself again, and they'll be fine together again.

Keep us posted on what turns up in the pathology report... I sure hope it's an easy fix! It's horrible knowing that something could be wrong with one of our babies, the waiting is the hardest part (isn't that a song by Tom Petty? :) )

((((HUGS)))))

Andi
Certified Cat-Lover
Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Jane, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they can fix what is the matter HUGS

(The reason why the cat is hissing is cause she doesn't smell like herself. I have read that when u bring a cat home from the vet put them in a separate room until they have time to groom themselves to get the vet smell off and their smell back on them.)

Sending good thoughts your way!

Debbie

wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

You guys are surely right on the hissing and growling. Still happening today, but they are keeping their distance, so that's good. i was concerned about maybe fighting, but there's been none, so that's good.

Thanks for the thoughts and prayers everyone....OC, love to read all your posts! You're sounding so much like the old OC, it's easy to forget what you've been through. Brings Joy to read your posting so often :)

I think he said we'd hear back on friday, but not certain on that. I'll definitely let you know what we hear.
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Ah, Jane...I'm so sorry to read about your kitty. I am glad that you got a job offer, and hope that goes well for you.
Keeping my fingers crossed, too.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Oh wow Jane!! I am so out of it here..... :oops:

Poor kitty!! I hope the news is not that bad on friday.....keep us updated.....Hugs!!!
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Oh, Jane, so sorry to hear about Lucy! I am glad about your job news though. I hope it is very successful for you!

I had a dog who developed an abscess on her jaw. When she returned home, her 6-week old puppies ran up to her when they recognized her, but yelped and squealed and ran away once they got close enough to smell her. After I bathed her, all was well. I've noticed the stories all seem to be about the same condition....abscesses....I wonder if it is the infection that smells bad to them? I've had animals with other procedures that didn't react the same way...
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Thanks....Lucy seems much more herself but won't leave me when I'm home. Little bit is still growling and hissing at her, but the incision are is on Lucy's neck and not a place I could wash with her. Little loves a bath by sopping cloth, but not Lucy. :(

No word yet, so just continue to keep good thoughts b/c hope is all we have right now.
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

:oops: Ms Goose isn't the only one. Jane, I'm so sorry to hear about your furbaby. Keeping her in my prayers.
Congrats one the new job! Hope this all works out.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Thank Ladies, and my goodness, I've certainly not kept my end of news in the Hallson's area, so do NOT feel bad for any reason. Geepers.... :)

Lucy had a litle pink fluid leaking from the incision last night, but it stopped. I wonder if she did't try to scratch or something :(
Barefoot Gardener

Post by Barefoot Gardener »

Has anyone heard how Lucy is doing?
I rushed straight home tonight - but I don't see an update as yet.
New Topic Post Reply