Problem with neighbor's doberman

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

doublemom2
USDA Zone: 8

Problem with neighbor's doberman

Post by doublemom2 »

Sorry this is long, but I need to vent here and figure out what to do...

One of our neighbors near our new house got a doberman pup a few months ago, and they don't have a contained yard to keep him in. He roams freely. I'm guessing he's about 8-9 months old, absolutely gorgeous, and quite a sweetheart. The problem is that our back yard isn't fully fenced in and he runs around and digs up grass, plants, etc. He also has gotten into our garage and started to dig through our garbage. He tries to play with our other neighbor's bulldog, but he's rough and has scratched the bulldog up, not agressively, but just with that 8-month-old puppy-ness. He's totally unaware of how strong he really is.

The first time I got him on a leash and walked him home, I asked them to please keep their dog contained so he couldn't get onto our property. They had no idea we lived there and have owned the house for 8 months. The conversation went well. Just this morning I was playing with my plants and there he was again. Got into the garage and tried to eat the cardboard trays that last night's pizza was on. I had a heck of a time getting ahold of him to leash him, but finally got him walked back to his house. The woman wasn't so nice this time. She asked what I wanted from her, and I again said that it was her dog, her responsibility to keep him contained so he can't damage anything on my property. She said very sarcastically that she would love to have a fence just as much as I would, but she couldn't do anything about it. Again... I told her the dog was her responsibility, and she should have thought of how they would contain him before getting the dog in the first place. She got mad and closed the door in my face. I was pleasant but firm, was not once rude or mean or shouted.

From other neighbors, I hear that they had a dog last year that was some type of lab mix, totally untrained and very aggressive. Dog was gone before we moved in, I have no idea if it ran away or was taken from them.

Here is my problem... They are the type of people that don't take responsibility for ANYTHING.... cigarette packs laying all over their yard, they have an in-ground pool that is not totally enclosed (that's illegal, isn't it?), teenage kids out in and out at all hours of the day and night, loud blaring music in their back yard all summer long, etc. Now that we've "exchanged words", I don't want to go as far as calling animal services on them. I'm afraid of what they would do, revenge wise, and they would obviously know that it was me that called the authorities. They have teenagers who are allowed to run wild, it wouldn't take much for them to vandalize our property, etc.

This dog is absolutely beautiful, he's playful, he's a total sweetheart. With some training and attention, he would be an amazing pet for someone. It kills me to see such a wonderful animal be stuck with such a crappy family that he has no choice in.

So... do I keep catching him and walking him back home any time I see him out loose? Do I call animal services on him (we have a city ordinance that does not allow any free-roaming dogs) and risk our neighbors getting back at us? Do I take him in the car one day and turn him in to a shelter? I hate to do that, he deserves better, but at the same time he's totally neglected where he currently lives. I don't know what to do. This dog deserves a good family, and I deserve to not have him wandering freely on my property digging up my lawn and plants. Why, oh why, do we have to share our planet with stupid, irresponsible people???

Andi
Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Re: Problem with neighbor's doberman

Post by caliloo »

Get in touch with your local Doberman Rescue group, they are all over the country. I'm sure they will come the next time the dog is loose and take him off to a better home. You are right that no animal should be treated that way and to have a loving pup neglected like that is heartbreaking!

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Post by JaneG »

I think your neighbors are related to mine.

We are on a lot that used to be pasture many years ago, so the "fence" they expect to contain the dogs is an old rusty wire farm fence that is broken and trampled down in several places, so the dogs can get out easily enough. They have an electronic collar on the most aggressive dog, a doberman, so the excuse when it gets in our yard is that the battery died on the collar. Like many dog owners, they are in total denial that their dog could scare or hurt someone, they just laugh and say "Oh, he acts mean but he wouldn't hurt a flea, he's just a big couch potato."

After talking nicely to them about it a couple times, my husband called Animal Control when the doberman got out and came after him in the yard. So DH got the camera a tried to go outside again and got pictures of the dog coming at him with teeth bared. There were two ladies going for a walk in the street and they were so scared by the dog they turned around and went back the other way. Animal control couldn't take the dog, but they witnessed it out of its yard so they sent the family a notice and fine. They had to pay $375. The woman still speaks to me, and fortunately they aren't the kind of people I would expect revenge from.

I don't have any advice for you, especially if they have teenagers and know who called Animal Control. You likely would be targeted for revenge. Personally, I like the idea of putting the dog in the car and taking it to the shelter. If you are lucky they will think it's too much trouble to retrieve the dog and it will end up in better circumstances.

Good Luck!
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
John

Post by John »

Hope you can work this out before that cute pup becomes a dangerous animal; a Doberman not trained with a firm hand can be a problem. I guess I'd try to fence in my own property, but that doesn't solve the whole issue of the dog running loose in the streets. Some people shouldn't have pets.
lazygardner

Post by lazygardner »

You can wait a month before calling animal control or before turning the pup over. That will decrease the chance they will know it is you who is taking action. Of course, that still means the dog's life is still at risk while he is roaming around free during that month. Andi, I hate these situations. I guess you have to weigh the welfare of the dog plus the trouble he causes to you against the possibility for revenge from the neighbor. How far do you think they would go? How much do you value the paint job on your car or the plants in your garden? I personally would get animal control or the police involved and would be raring for a fight, but that is because I know I would have the police behind me and because I am so angry about the abuses of animals I have witnessed. The decision is yours and we here will support whatever decision you make. Good luck and may the force be with you!
Before criticizing someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them you will be a mile away and have their shoes!
govgirl75

Post by govgirl75 »

I think Caliloo has the best idea. The dobi rescue will take the dog and will make sure it is fostered until a suitable home can be found.
My sister in law had a similar situation except that the neighbor left the dog tied out, so it barked and barked. The dog would break loose and come in her yard, jump on her and wee on the plants, tip the garbage cans, etc. One day she was talking to one of my MIL's nurses in hospice and the topic came up. This lady was with a Bichon rescue but mentioned she would rescue this miserable dog. My sister in law gave her the address and the dog was rescued the next time it got loose and came in her yard.
No paper trail, no fines, the dog just disappears and has a better life than it would have with your neighbors. They are so uncaring they mightnot notice the dog is gone for a couple days. Poor doggie.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

I always loved the Dobie's.....All good suggestions here......But, think good before you do anything.....people like that can make your life hell....Good Luck!!
oldcoot

Post by oldcoot »

I had this problem with my dogs early. They liked to go next and poop in the neighbors flowers He called annimal control, and when they came to pick them up, I picked up a shovel and explained to him that there were enough OTHER dogs running loose, got get some of them. That's why we bought the house, so many dogs were running free. He left and I put the dogs in the house Joy put them on a lesh when she came home and took them out. The next day, we called sears and had a 6' chain link fence and had a wire stuck down in the dirt so they would'nt dig out.Our dogs never gave any trouble after that. the neighers dog are still running free, but mine is out of the way. The neighbors on BOTH side of the street have dogs running free, but they are so good to us, we never complain. they have smaller dogs now and the chicken wire fence they put up just cant hold them. However Greta is in the yard out back her barking keep them from over here..LOVE those big dogs..........OC
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
John

Post by John »

Is that how the rescue groups work? They come like thieves in the night and the dogs just disappear? Like, judge and jury?
doublemom2

Post by doublemom2 »

Thanks for everyone's ideas... I talked with our next door neighbor who has the bulldog (and he is SUCH A HUNK!) and she said she knows of several people who may want the Doberman, or else between she and I we will get him into the hands of a Dobi rescue group. She has five small children and they aren't allowed outside the front door because of the doberman, not that he would hurt them but he's huge compared to them and could knock them over without even trying. He also roams out in the road, and has no clue about "car etiquette", so he could end up getting hit at any time. It's just a crappy situation... through no fault of the dog's own, he's either going to get injured himself or he's going to end up hurting someone else's kids or pets, and then the outcome is a lose-lose situation for everyone. If I see him out on the road, I'll call animal control and they can take it from there. Honestly, the owners probably won't even know he's gone, they are that clueless. This dog deserves a good home, not a life like he's living now.

I'll let you all know what ends up happening :)

Andi
Andi
govgirl75

Post by govgirl75 »

John-
It was a choice my sister in law had to make.
This was not a problem of short duration. She and her husband had spoken to the dog's owner on several occasions to no avail. The dog was left alone, tied up, barking for as long as a weekend. It could have been attacked by coyotes, shot at by irate neighbors (yeah, they do that here). It was teased by roaming neighbor kids. It periodically broke loose and was returned by my sister in law or her husband. On one occasion, it dragged a deer head out of its' owner's trash and brought it into my sister in law's garage to eat. Nice!
She could have called the pound (the dog was not licensed) and they would have come and taken the dog away but it would most certainly been put down.
Instead, she waited until the dog was loose and at her house and called the rescue group. They came and got him. The dog just as easily could have been hit by a car or taken off across the fields. The owner certainly did not care for the dog and the dog was a nuisance in the neighborhood.
That is how it worked here.
John

Post by John »

Not saying it was wrong, just kind of shocked at how they operate. I have a real problem with anyone who abuses a dog in any way, and agree, people are clueless, and the protection of the animal and people around the animal are what matters.

Guess I was thinking of someone who despite being a responsible pet-owner had a dog 'escape', and it then disappeared without a trace.

Not to open another can of worms, but Dobermans can be unpredicatable, and they are capable of inflicting a great deal of harm; I would have been very concerned. btw, I have adopted a total of 4 Dobermans over a long period of my life, and they are wonderful, affectionate dogs, but do require training and a firm hand.
putnamgardens

Post by putnamgardens »

Hi Andi: Too bad Washington is not closer to MN. I'd have a WONDERFUL home for that Dobie. My hosta partner in crime bought there current home so their two dobies would have a bigger yard. They both had heart trouble and died fairly young. I've been after Kim & Jim to get another pooch and I'd dog sit for'm. They work long hours and don't think it's fair for the dog so.....they're dogless. They have two low maintenance cats. I LOVE Dobermans. They are so smart and playful. I agree that some people should not be dog owners. The Larsen's would be wonderful dog parents. If you lived closer....I'd have to steal that Dobie and I'd give it to the Larsen's. I train agility with some Dobies that are super good. Type at cha later, Love, Lisa
Have I mentioned lately that my drinking team has a hosta problem?
doublemom2

Post by doublemom2 »

I have to put the well-being of the dog as well as that of my family and my neighbor's five small children first. If that means having a rescue group take the dog when he is out running off of the owner's property, so be it. Right now he is a total sweetheart and he just wants to play, he is desperate for attention. At the same time, he has feet the size of a Clydesdale, and he has no concept of how strong he really is. As he matures, and with no training or proper handling or socialization, he could very well become more aggressive with time. That's a risk I'm just not willing to take. I would just like to find a way to help the dog find a better home and protect my property (including all of my plants) both now and in the long run, without them knowing that it's me who is doing it. I HATE having to feel that way, but I just don't trust them.

I'll keep my eyes open, I have the animal control number and local rescue group number in my cell phone, and the next time I see him out running in the street I'm going to make a phone call. My wonderful neighbor with the little kids is trying to find anyone who might be willing to "adopt" him through her work and her contacts as well.

Not fair... gorgeous, very sweet-dispositioned doggie (for now) is the one who is going to end up getting hurt if something isn't done while he's still young. Lisa - I sure wish you were closer and I'd have that dog for you tomorrow!!!

Andi
Andi
John

Post by John »

Sounds like the right decision, Andi. Hope it all works out well. I'm guessing if the rescue people come to get the dog, it will not reflect back on your involvement, as it might if the animal control comes. Best wishes~
lazygardner

Post by lazygardner »

John- Most people with rescue groups know that it would be illegal for them to take a dog that is on the property where it belongs. They can only get away with taking an animal when it is roaming free on property where it Doesn't belong. Even then, if the animal has tags, tattoos or microchips, they are obligated by law to try to get the animal back to its family.

In other words, if the animal is contained on its home property, the rescue groups can't legally touch it. (They will have to contact the police or animal control even if the animal is visibly being abused on its own property.)

Andi- Let us know what happens. I hope you and yours all stay safe. Usually, people like that talk a big game, lots of threats, and little actual action. :x Still, I am glad you are being cautious. :wink:
Before criticizing someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them you will be a mile away and have their shoes!
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

I certainly wasn't suggesting the rescue group would sneak onto the owners property in the middle of the night to steal the dog, just that if the dog was roaming loose on MY property it wouldn't phase me one bit to catch him and call the rescue group and tell them he just showed up.

My mom used to breed Dobies (mostly for obed, a few for breed classes) and I have been around them all my life. They do require a structured balanced home (as any dog would) but the "fear factor" of having a Dobe is certainly one that would cause concern if the dog is loose and untrained. That said, it sounds like he is a nice dog and I would hope that he ends up in a home that will provide love and training.

Good luck Andi, and keep us posted!

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
New Topic Post Reply